NJ Transit P40DC

Eric Kreszl

• 4 months later...

These P40s will be used for the NYP-Atlantic City express service that will be starting up in the near future. They were needed as they fit in the North River tunnels under the Hudson in/out of NYP.

These trains will have both a P40 and an ALP (either a ALP-44 or ALP-46). They will run under electric power from the ALP from NYP to Shore interlocking outside of Philly, at which point the train will reverse direction and head to Atlantic City on the Atlantic City Line, powered by the P40.

These P40s will be used for the NYP-Atlantic City express service that will be starting up in the near future. They were needed as they fit in the North River tunnels under the Hudson in/out of NYP.

These trains will have both a P40 and an ALP (either a ALP-44 or ALP-46). They will run under electric power from the ALP from NYP to Shore interlocking outside of Philly, at which point the train will reverse direction and head to Atlantic City on the Atlantic City Line, powered by the P40.

I KNEW the P40s can fit in those tunnels. But wait, isn't Amtrak (and NJT I think?) against sending a diesel into those tunnels, even though in the case of the Atlantic City Express, the diesel loco will be playing dead.

As for the electric loco that will be on one end of the train, it'll be an ALP-46 since they wanna put ML cars in the consist. Its not going to be many in a consist, but I guess for better power, they'll run it with an ALP-46.

I KNEW the P40s can fit in those tunnels. But wait, isn't Amtrak (and NJT I think?) against sending a diesel into those tunnels, even though in the case of the Atlantic City Express, the diesel loco will be playing dead.

As for the electric loco that will be on one end of the train, it'll be an ALP-46 since they wanna put ML cars in the consist. Its not going to be many in a consist, but I guess for better power, they'll run it with an ALP-46.

Diesels cannot have their engine(s) (some passenger diesels have only one engine -- the HEP is generated off of the prime mover, others have two engines -- one for traction and one for generating HEP) running in the tunnels because they do not have sufficient ventilation for diesel exhaust. There are no restrictions against diesels running into/out of NYP with their diesel engine(s) not running, just as long as they fit the loading gauge of the tunnels (which is why NJT procured the P40's in the first place).

Actually, sometimes diesels are even sent into the tunnels while running. But this is only when there is a catenary failure and trains need to be towed out of the tunnels.

As for the electric loco, it doesn't necessarily have to be an ALP-46. An ALP-44 can haul several multilevel coaches no problem. And because these NYP-AC trains will be super-expresses -- initially, no stops at all -- they won't really require the extra acceleration & power of an ALP-46. Sure, they'll probably usually have an ALP-46 on these trains, but don't be surprised if you see an ALP-44 -- anything can happen on the railroad.

• 2 years later...
Well I got bad news (NJT) is taking them out of svc due to what happened on the ACES. The P40s leaving is going to change the ACES dramatically heres 2 things there gonna do

(1) there going to now run PL42s in the ACES with a cabcar on the back

(2) ACES will now terminate @ Newark instead of NYP

What happened on the ACES?

Well I got bad news (NJT) is taking them out of svc due to what happened on the ACES. The P40s leaving is going to change the ACES dramatically heres 2 things there gonna do

Hmmm....I'll believe it when I see it.....

ACES riders would not be happy about this so we'll see how long NJT will even try this.

This is only going to me temperary

Archived