Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Jersey Loop

Transit Management Analyst Trainee - Exam #7606

Hello All,

I hope we all one step closer, I noticed the list has us all certified. Request date of 12/5/18 and Cert Date of 12/7/18.

So should we be expected letters this week call us on to replace provisional?

Suggestion from anybody that has gone thru this process before???

Kidson

6 hours ago, kidson said:

Hello All,

I hope we all one step closer, I noticed the list has us all certified. Request date of 12/5/18 and Cert Date of 12/7/18.

So should we be expected letters this week call us on to replace provisional?

Suggestion from anybody that has gone thru this process before???

Kidson

Does the open data Request Date, Cert. Date & Cert. Expiration date signify anything? 

Has anyone seen any correlation to these categories and how they worked with any prior established lists?

I'm  really not sure how the hiring process goes for these types of positions, you have many variables, some of those

on the list will have selective certification in certain fields & these analyst positions are quite variable in task & scope.

Some on the list likely took the exam to be "In Title" and are already with the TA. Should be interesting soon.

Maybe +Young+ can shed some light on what the general hiring practices & protocols are usually for most established lists,

my guess is this will mirror those closely. Hopefully they will start contacting individuals soon to get things going.

Good luck to those who get the process started, will be great to keep the board updated.

4 hours ago, Alucard said:

Does the open data Request Date, Cert. Date & Cert. Expiration date signify anything? 

Has anyone seen any correlation to these categories and how they worked with any prior established lists?

Maybe @+Young+ can shed some light on what the general hiring practices & protocols are usually for most established lists,

my guess is this will mirror those closely. Hopefully they will start contacting individuals soon to get things going.

Good luck to those who get the process started, will be great to keep the board updated.

The "Request Date" is when the specific agency requested the names of the candidates of a certain list from DCAS (Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services).

The "Certification Date" and the "Certification Expiration Date" means that the agencies only have a limited amount of time to work with the particular list(s). After the "Certification Expiration Date" past, if they still need candidates, they have to go back to DCAS to request more names. The reasons for this are:

-If someone wishes to restore their name to a particular list, since they were not able to take advantage of the first opportunity that was offered to them for whatever reason (business trip, military, working for somebody else, vacation, etc.) their list number will stay the same, which gives them an advantage compared to someone else who has a higher list number.

-Sometimes an agency can be hiring from two open lists. As an example, the list for Bus Operator Exam 4600 was established in January of 2016 and expires in January of 2020. In addition, the list for Bus Operator Exam 7612 was established in October of 2018 and expires in October of 2022. Therefore, if someone restores their name to the list for Bus Operator Exam 4600, he/she will have first priority over everyone on the list for Bus Operator Exam 7612, in addition to those other people who are on the list for Bus Operator Exam 4600 depending on how low their list number is and whoever else restores their name to that list.

As far as the hiring practices, if I had to take an educated guess, they will probably invite a certain number of people to a location for a hiring pool. According to this website, the definition of a "hiring pool" is a way "to fill job vacancies at (a) facility in competitive titles for which an eligible list is available. Eligible list candidates will be scheduled to attend hiring pools to interview with facility representatives for job opportunities." As a result of the interview, if you're a good match, you're hired!! If not, then you have two [2] more chances to interview before the "one in three rule" comes into play, which, according to this website, is a rule which "provides City agencies with the discretion when hiring to select one of the three eligibles scoring highest on the ranked eligible list of exam passers."

Again, this is not official, just an educated guess.

Edited by +Young+

Thanks +Young+,

for the effort & information you posted. Always helpful to have some background info on things. Hopefully, some will get contacted 

within the window established by that certification end date on 1/9/19.  Seems like a rather short window, but we'll see. 

While this list got established in mid November, a month has passed without seemingly any forward motion of progressing with hiring off the list. This may be due to MTA's ongoing hiring freeze on all "non essential personnel" that's been mentioned in various media from around October, to more recently in mid December.

http://gothamist.com/2018/12/13/mta_budget_subway_fares.php

"The MTA has already instituted a non-essential employee hiring freeze and minor cuts to service"

Not sure how these positions are classified, but likely they are seen as non essential [being trainee an such] & might be under the freeze umbrella. 

Also not sure how hiring freezes at MTA operate in terms of duration or scope. So while this took close to 2 years to get a list, and there is a certification date listed for early January, the wait might just be longer. But definitely could be wrong on that. Will have to see if it starts moving anytime in the near future. 

On 12/10/2018 at 11:13 PM, +Young+ said:

The "Request Date" is when the specific agency requested the names of the candidates of a certain list from DCAS (Dept. of Citywide Administrative Services).

The "Certification Date" and the "Certification Expiration Date" means that the agencies only have a limited amount of time to work with the particular list(s). After the "Certification Expiration Date" past, if they still need candidates, they have to go back to DCAS to request more names.

It would seem the first request date [12/7/18], and certification expiration date[1/9/19] have passed without any forward momentum towards filling from the list as of yet.

There is a column for "Reissue Date" which is described as "the date on which a Certification will be extended beyond its original expiration date" By that wording it would seem that a reissue date would be required if they wish to again use the list for candidates, as at current, it has surpassed its certification expiration date.  With the probable hiring freeze, perhaps this all means very little. Guess on the bright side, the list is established, and it's just a matter of time before something occurs with the first batch.

For anyone on this list, if you call DCAS automated line (212-669-1357) and select option 2, then enter exam 7606 and your credentials they ask for, it will deliver back a message that may include at the end one of two messages.

1. "On An Outstanding Certification" or 2. "Not On An Outstanding Certification"

According to some posting on these boards & other on the net, the On An Outstanding Certification signifies that DCAS as sent your information along to the hiring agency. While the Not On signifies that your information is still held with DCAS and has not been transferred as yet. I would suspect that those in the upper tiers of rankings on the exam will hear the positive of the two, and as the list progresses further down those hearing Not On now might hear that portion of the message change later. There have been posting of individuals saying they call weekly & check. Maybe Young+ can reflect on it a bit more, as to how that message relays to real world changes or actions on an established list. Again, this may all be moot due to the potential/probable hiring freeze.

27 minutes ago, Alucard said:

There have been posting of individuals saying they call weekly & check. Maybe Young+ can reflect on it a bit more, as to how that message relays to real world changes or actions on an established list. Again, this may all be moot due to the potential/probable hiring freeze.

From my experience with the DCAS automated system (212-669-1357, Option #2, enter Social Security #, follow prompts, etc.) for all of the civil service lists that I'm on, they update the system the first Sunday evening of every month. Ever since I found the NYC Open Data Civil Service List Certification webpage, I have found that to be more reliable since they update that site a few days after they certify either part of a list, the whole list, multiple lists and/or what's remaining of a list.

+Young+ thanks for the info. 

I guess then the question would be, upon calling what is the significance of those two criteria ["On An Outstanding Certification" or 2. "Not On An Outstanding Certification"] the online data lists does not seem to have those particular data points identified (Unless since it's a Certified List, All on the list are "On an Outstanding Certification"). So it's a bit of a curiosity as to if it represents anything. From prior posts on these forums some say it does. Haven't dealt with it enough to know.

In regards to the data sets you linked, do the data sets ever change to show individuals were appointed to the position or where the list currently stands in terms of hiring sequence. I know on the State level those exams results will show dates people on State lists were appointed, but not sure how these DCAS data/list sets run. Thanks again. Surely, something has to happen for those on this list, eventually! :) Seems they clumped all the TMA [4 levels] exams within a 2 year period, but doesn't seem like these exams occur too often.