Mess on the Broadway line Aug 23 AM

nostalgia

I went from Grand Central to 14th Street on the (5) and then hopped a (Q) to Brighton Beach. I knew something was wrong when the (Q) came in on the local track. The conductor made an announcement "that due to an incident all (Q) and (N) trains were running local thought the Montague tube." According to trip advisor, the trip should take about 40 minutes. The trip took an extra 30 minutes. According to the MTA app, a train was disabled at DeKalb because of mechanical problems.

Since the (N) bypasses DeKalb during the day, I don't understand why it had to run local. I'll accept there was a good reason to run the (Q) on the (R). I don't understand why the (Q) had to run local on the (R). Nobody on the (Q) was expecting to get off at (R) local stops. By making local stops, this created a big gap in (Q) service in Brooklyn and must have messed up crews at Coney Island waiting for their train. Why couldn't the (Q) run express on the local track and make up some of the lost time?

I dont even know where to begin. Let’s just say Broadway was a mess today and that’s putting it lightly. I left my house at 9:30 this morning to head down to 8 Avenue on the (N) and boy was it bad. No <7> exp serv. either due to FDNY activity at Grand Central. So when I switched to the (N) at Queensboro Plz and we waited for 10min. Something was definitely up, thought it was a minor delay and boy I thought wrong. We stopped in the 60th st tube for a good hour or so. Slowly moved the train little by little. All the way down the Broadway line stopping at every station for an extra 5 minutes but 57, 42 & 34th street were extra long. The (Q) that pulled in across the platform at 42nd had a (Q) sitting directly in front of it. All in all a trip that shld’ve taken 1.5 hrs took 4 hrs. On the way back, uptown service ran flawlessly, my (N) was hauling ass and it was the same exact train I was on heading s/b. I was gleaming at the sight of all those commuters on those packed-ass trains heading s/b because we passed by several (Q)’s stuck between stations and all the (N)’s with their “via Whitehall” signs, hypocrisy at its finest.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

When I got home, I checked the internet and found the reason was TRASH!! Trash fell off refuse train at 14th street, ensnarling a train at Canal and later at DeKalb. There's always been trash on the track so I don't know what was so special about this trash.

I'm unable to post a URL but you can find out by using Google.

It must have been a whole trash bin, from the sound of the severity of it. It wasn't "secured" properly. 

I'm still not sure why something happening on one track had such an effect on all the services. Did they have to cut the power to the whole area?

Archived