The NYC subway in 2021

LGA Link N Train

I'll be 41 then. More depressing than turning 37 this past Tuesday.

Happy belated birthday ^_^

Eric Shields | MassTransitHonchkrow

Proud EasyPay Express Unlimited Customer - PPR mode

Level 5 Google Local Guide for Southern NY State

Check out my photography, DeskThemePacks and more -

https://masstransithonchkrow.deviantart.com/gallery

Sent from my HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC using Tapatalk using Remix OS

I'll be 20 years old by that time. Here's what I think would happen in 2021. 

-Subway expansion is being seriously considered to meet up with capacity. 

-Last of the old IND/BMT train cars (R32, R42, and R46) retiring from service by the R211s. SIR R44 are also being retired by the R211 version for the railroad.  

-R179's dominate most of B division. 

I don't 300 cars out of 3500 is dominating.

Didn't know this was still active but....hey. Here goes nothing. With the speed the MTA is running at, repairing signals and tracks will still be a viable issue. You can't just expect a plan to be thrown at contractors and board members and everything will be fine. The subway system will still be more or less breaking down at a steady rate, but hopefully it won't cause major issues. Second, the (4) express!!! Don't get me wrong....I love taking the Burnside Ave-bound (4) trains from school everyday but knowing that I go to school in East Harlem, it would be nice to have a service for not just me, but people who live on or close to the express station stops. That's just my take on it.

How I think the fleet will become by 2021

(1) R62/R62A

(2) R142

(3) R62

(4) R142/R142A

(5) R142

(6) R62A/R142A

(7) R62A/R188

(A) R68A/R179/R211A

(B) R68A/R211T

(C) R160/R179

(D) R68

(E) R160

(F) R160/R211T

(G) R68/R68A

(J)(Z) R143/R160/R179

(L) R143/R160

(M) R160

(N)(W) R68/R160

(Q) R160

(R) R211A

(H) / (S) R62A/R68/R211A

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

I agree except, 7 will be only R188 for CBTC reasons, so 6 may only be R62A. A currently only runs one R68A, so I'd assume it won't be running there. B doesn't get packed enough to warrant R211T trials, so I expect they'll be used on the E and F trains.

I agree except, 7 will be only R188 for CBTC reasons, so 6 may only be R62A. A currently only runs one R68A, so I'd assume it won't be running there. B doesn't get packed enough to warrant R211T trials, so I expect they'll be used on the E and F trains.

Ok, so the (B) could get normal R211A's then

Didn't know this was still active but....hey. Here goes nothing. With the speed the MTA is running at, repairing signals and tracks will still be a viable issue. You can't just expect a plan to be thrown at contractors and board members and everything will be fine. The subway system will still be more or less breaking down at a steady rate, but hopefully it won't cause major issues. Second, the (4) express!!! Don't get me wrong....I love taking the Burnside Ave-bound (4) trains from school everyday but knowing that I go to school in East Harlem, it would be nice to have a service for not just me, but people who live on or close to the express station stops. That's just my take on it.

Keep in mind, this Thread is only a prediction towards how the subway will be like in 2021, if you have any ideas, suggestions, or even questions then feel free to type

Keep in mind, this Thread is only a prediction towards how the subway will be like in 2021, if you have any ideas, suggestions, or even questions then feel free to type

Okay....let me rephrase that for a second. I PREDICT that more express services will be made possible for people living in populated areas in the city but reoccurring track issues will put that on hold.

You're joking, right? I gave an example in my first response.

Oh, sorry then. I do agree with that statement. But since I BARELY go to the Bronx (especially by train), I wouldn't know entirely besides, more express service in heavily populated areas is needed, if the line has only 2 tracks/or only uses 2 tracks then skip stop would be the answer for that line

Oh, sorry then. I do agree with that statement. But since I BARELY go to the Bronx (especially by train), I wouldn't know entirely besides, more express service in heavily populated areas is needed, if the line has only 2 tracks/or only uses 2 tracks then skip stop would be the answer for that line

It has three tracks. That's why the idea isn't as complicated as it seems. Besides, even if the Jerome Avenue Line ONLY had two tracks, I wouldn't advocate for a skip-stop service to be placed. More local stations + three express stations + 8 minute frequency = express service. Simple. You should look up the pilot program that the (4) went through about eight years ago.

It has three tracks. That's why the idea isn't as complicated as it seems. Besides, even if the Jerome Avenue Line ONLY had two tracks, I wouldn't advocate for a skip-stop service to be placed. More local stations + three express stations + 8 minute frequency = express service. Simple. You should look up the pilot program that the (4) went through about eight years ago.

I know about it, I know that the IRT Jerome Avenue line has 3 tracks. I'm saying that whatever line has only 2 tracks with heavy ridership could gain skip t

stop similar to the (J)(Z)

I know about it, I know that the IRT Jerome Avenue line has 3 tracks. I'm saying that whatever line has only 2 tracks with heavy ridership could gain skip t

Okay...but what's your point? Let's just leave it that the fact that different parts of the subway system have either two or three tracks to operate with (the ones without express service). Given those numbers, different tactics would be used to lower commute times. I'm just pointing out the (4) line could be the one to consider those options during rush hours.

Skip stop is better for low ridership sections. If you were trying to give good service to those at skip stop stations, you'd give them full service because halving wait times does much more for commutes than slowly bypassing stations. Skip stop exists on the J solely because the MTA vainly hopes that they can use it to lure people from Jamaica off the E.

You'll see when they eliminated skip stop on the Chicago L ridership climbed through the roof. People want frequency.

I see this thread hasn't been active for about a few day so might as well do a revized fleet assignment

(1)(9) R62A

(2) R142

(3) R62

(4) R142/R142A

(5) R142

(6) R62A/R142A

(7) R188

(A) R179/R211A

(B) R68A/R211A

(C) R160A -1/ R179

(D) R68

(E) R160A-2/R211T

(F) R160A-2/R211T

(G) R68/R68A

(J)(Z) R160A-1/R179

(L) R143/R160A-1

(M) R160A-1

(N)(W) R160A-2/R160B

(Q) R160A-2/R160B

(R) R211A

(S) R62A/R68/R211A

• 2 weeks later...

This whole thread could be subsumed by the official proposals thread.

The whole point of this thread is or predict the future of the subway system explain what it will be like in 2021. Proposals can be made here but must be realistic or must be leaked by the MTA. The proposals/Ideas thread is in on its own. I want this thread to be its own separate entity

The whole point of this thread is or predict the future of the subway system explain what it will be like in 2021. Proposals can be made here but must be realistic or must be leaked by the MTA. The proposals/Ideas thread is in on its own. I want this thread to be its own separate entity

That's not how it works here. CenSin is right, this could've easily went into the proposals thread. It's only 4 years away, that's quite arbitrary.

Archived