The NYC subway in 2021

LGA Link N Train

What do you think or hope the NYC subway will look like in 2021???

Rules Apply- all ideas MUST be realistic

I'll start it off.

1. The (L) train shutdown will be completed (hopefully with all stations renovated along 14 St)

2. SAS phase 2 under construction

3. R211's come in + ridership increase

4. Construction of the Queensrail

5. CBTC on Queens Boulevard and 8 Avenue under construction or completed

6. (F) express in Brooklyn

7. Bottleneck examinations

8. Improved Service

Thats basically it. Unless the feds or state decide to throw the MTA a ton of money, that's all we are getting. Minus number 8. And Queensrail probably won't happen because hippies like parks and NIMBYism.

There are some politicians such as Liz Crowley who are open to having both Rail and park

As for the Rockaway Branch, it is NEEDED. The supporters of this stupid Queensway are hipsters that don't even realize that they just have to deal with it. If ya don't like it, move out NIMBYS! People already live along many els so it would be just like that!!!

Lol I agree tell Karen koslowitz to shut up and get the hell out of the way of the train.

Well, to change things up a bit, what do you think is needed for the subway by 2021???

Phase 2 won't be opened because the (MTA) is broke and its just delayed. As for the (F) express, IMO it can't happen unless a secondary Culver service other than the (G) was added. As for the Rockaway Branch, it is NEEDED. The supporters of this stupid Queensway are hipsters that don't even realize that they just have to deal with it. If ya don't like it, move out NIMBYS! People already live along many els so it would be just like that!!!

This should've been the case back when the (N) and (W) were proposed to LGA. I said in an earlier post somewhere else that this city doesn't have time for NIMBY'S and they're one of the reasons to why our subways are messed up

All current FiDi (MTA) and PATH projects will be finished. A complete renovation of the Chambers Street (J)(Z) Station will have been proposed, and potentially underway. SAS Phase 2 will be shelved indefinitely, and earlier versions going into the Bronx will be reconsidered. The (L) nonsense will have cleared up. Service will continue getting steadily worse, as usual.

What's so special about 2021?

No idea...

I turn 31 lol

Ditto.

To answer the question, not much. The system as we see it today will likely remain the same for the next decade or so as there are no major construction projects in progress at the moment. While there is discussion of the Harlem extension of the 2nd Avenue line, there has been no movement on that front to actually get to the construction phase. Even East Side Access, which will have a tangential affect on the subway, will not open until 2022 at last estimate. In terms of subway cars, we likely will not see any 32s and 42s in service as they will likely be the first to be retired by the 211 order. All other cars will remain in service barring any unforeseen occurrences. We will, however, see more crowding and congestion on the rails as the years go on simply because the subway is not expanding to meet the growing population.

lol... Old man... But yeah, I don't see that much changing in four years subway wise.

I'll be 41 then. More depressing than turning 37 this past Tuesday.

OT: R32s will still be running; R68/A and R62/A will finally get a RFP for 2025 retirement that won't happen til 2030; fares will be $3.75 a ride.

Some humor to break the melancholy mood of an inevitable nightmare...

Fares are increasing 27% faster than the national rate of inflation. If it was in line with inflation, it would be $1.55 per ride.

The regional average if you don't count NYCT and NJT (because they charge per zone) is $2.40 a ride.beeba2f55ef36fe2f8ec90b5b985ca39.jpg

Eric Shields | MassTransitHonchkrow

Proud EasyPay Express Unlimited Customer - PPR mode

Level 5 Google Local Guide for Southern NY State

Check out my photography, DeskThemePacks and more -

https://masstransithonchkrow.deviantart.com/gallery

Sent from my HP ENVY m6 Notebook PC using Tapatalk using Remix OS

To answer the question, not much. The system as we see it today will likely remain the same for the next decade or so as there are no major construction projects in progress at the moment. While there is discussion of the Harlem extension of the 2nd Avenue line, there has been no movement on that front to actually get to the construction phase. Even East Side Access, which will have a tangential affect on the subway, will not open until 2022 at last estimate. In terms of subway cars, we likely will not see any 32s and 42s in service as they will likely be the first to be retired by the 211 order. All other cars will remain in service barring any unforeseen occurrences. We will, however, see more crowding and congestion on the rails as the years go on simply because the subway is not expanding to meet the growing population.

Quite the opposite; there's a lot of preliminary work going on right now. AKRF is updating the environmental impact statement for phase 2 (they prepared the Manhattan East Side Alternatives study in the 1990s and the original environmental impact statement in the early 2000s - Since the EIS was released over a decade ago, it has to be updated), and Phase 2 Partnership (a joint venture of Parsons-Brinckerhoff and STV) is working on the design for phase 2. But these aren't scheduled to be done until next year (see page 46). Also, a new community information center for phase 2 is going to open soon, on 125th Street between Park and Madison Avenues. It's supposed to be run by East Harlem Community Collaborators (a joint venture between Spectrum Personal Communications and Sam Schwartz Engineering DPC - I'm not sure who ran the original phase 1 building). The MTA said it would open a few months ago and it still hasn't, but at this point there's no rush.

Also, workers have already started testing the ground and buildings along the Phase 2 route looking for utilities. And the MTA is requesting federal funds for the next fiscal year (page 139) to start the utility relocations and build the launch box for the tunnel boring machine (hopefully in 2019). None of this stuff is as exciting or as visible as heavy construction, but they're all important parts of the process and they're underway (most of them being necessities, and the community information center is a show of goodwill). 

As for the R32s, the MTA stated in one of their budgets that they're expecting to keep the R32s until 2022; maybe they were just being conservative, but depending on when the R211 contract is awarded and how things go, they might not get here until 2021 anyway. 

I'll be 41 then. More depressing than turning 37 this past Tuesday.

OT: R32s will still be running; R68/A and R62/A will finally get a RFP for 2025 retirement that won't happen til 2030; fares will be $3.75 a ride.

I used to be jealous of those who were older than me. Now not so much. lol

I used to be jealous of those who were older than me. Now not so much. lol

Me too. Then when I got older, I realized knowing if it'll rain by gauging how much a knee hurts wasn't as cool a trick as I thought.

But I'd never go back to age 18; maybe 22 to avoid the blonde that ruined lives and friendships and to not pick up the binge drinking habit. But I'm enjoying the mid-thirties moderation I picked up.

Me too. Then when I got older, I realized knowing if it'll rain by gauging how much a knee hurts wasn't as cool a trick as I thought.

But I'd never go back to age 18; maybe 22 to avoid the blonde that ruined lives and friendships and to not pick up the binge drinking habit. But I'm enjoying the mid-thirties moderation I picked up.

Yes, the 30s aren't that bad and they seem to be going a bit slower than the 20s went. lol What is scary though is four years from now the subway system may be worse than it is today. That's my prediction.

I'll be 20 years old by that time. Here's what I think would happen in 2021. 

-Subway expansion is being seriously considered to meet up with capacity. 

-Last of the old IND/BMT train cars (R32, R42, and R46) retiring from service by the R211s. SIR R44 are also being retired by the R211 version for the railroad.  

-R179's dominate most of B division. 

- (MTA) begins to design new A & B division NTTs to replace the R62/62A & R68/68A as the 1980's subway cars begin to reach their age limit.

-CBTC installation of the rest of IRT lines is being planned. 

- (7)* &  (L) become one of the most reliable lines in the entire system thanks to CBTC signalling (this is after the  (L) train shutdown is complete).

-Construction underway for phase 2 of the 2nd Avenue Subway (then again, it could be possibly delayed).  (MTA) trying to seek funding for phase 3. 

-Cortlandt Street on the (1) line is part of a massive transit complex that connects many subway lines together. 

-The rebuilding process of subway infrastructure post 9/11 in the Financial District should be complete.  

-Fare is at $3.00.

*Hudson Yards complex is almost done; this makes 34th Street-Hudson Yards station see an increase of passengership.

Any thoughts of these predictions?  ;) 

I'll be 20 years old by that time. Here's what I think would happen in 2021. 

-Subway expansion is being seriously considered to meet up with capacity. 

-Last of the old IND/BMT train cars (R32, R42, and R46) retiring from service by the R211s. SIR R44 are also being retired by the R211 version for the railroad.  

-R179's dominate most of B division. 

- (MTA) begins to design new A & B division NTTs to replace the R62/62A & R68/68A as the 1980's subway cars begin to reach their age limit.

-CBTC installation of the rest of IRT lines is being planned. 

- (7)* &  (L) become one of the most reliable lines in the entire system thanks to CBTC signalling (this is after the  (L) train shutdown is complete).

-Construction underway for phase 2 of the 2nd Avenue Subway (then again, it could be possibly delayed).  (MTA) trying to seek funding for phase 3. 

-Cortlandt Street on the (1) line is part of a massive transit complex that connects many subway lines together. 

-The rebuilding process of subway infrastructure post 9/11 in the Financial District should be complete.  

-Fare is at $3.00.

*Hudson Yards complex is almost done; this makes 34th Street-Hudson Yards station see an increase of passengership.

Any thoughts of these predictions?  ;) 

I think the fare will be a little more than $3.00.

What's so special about 2021?

1. A year away from being 50.

2. Here are some predictions for the subway:

A. The R211s start rolling in

B. The F train starts Express run

C. The 9 returns

D. L train shutdown is done

E. Increase of the 7th Avenue Express service

F. CBTC for Queens Blvd

H. New car prototype introduce for IRT cars to replace R62s as they approach 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

1. A year away from being 50.

2. Here are some predictions for the subway:

A. The R211s start rolling in

B. The F train starts Express run

C. The 9 returns

D. L train shutdown is done

E. Increase of the 7th Avenue Express service

F. CBTC for Queens Blvd

H. New car prototype introduce for IRT cars to replace R62s as they approach 40 years.

Sent from my iPhone using NYC Transit Forums mobile app

For a model to replace the R62/R62A's, I already have a certain fleet name in mind for that

Archived