NYC’s new subway countdown clocks already have problems

Via Garibaldi 8

NEWS

Accuracy is the main concern here

By Ameena Walker  Jan 4, 2018, 10:15am EST

mta_countdown_clocks.0.jpg

Courtesy the MTA

The MTA has made good on its promise to install platform countdown clocks at all 471 of its subway stations by the end of 2017 but how well they actually work is now the question that is being raised.

According to the New York Post, a good portion of subway signs are inaccurate, displaying arrival times that don’t reflect the actual times that trains show up. Some stations also have countdown clocks placed in highly inconvenient locations where visibility is impeded, either by another sign or just due to a crummy spot, like the very far end of the platform, for example.

In one instance, a Post reporter found that arrival estimates randomly changed times, jumping from 19 minutes to 10 minutes while in another example, a train arrived before it even showed up on the countdown clock.

MTA officials say that the countdown clocks are continuously being tested in an effort to make them more accurate and that overall, the majority of new clocks are performing well.

Source: https://ny.curbed.com/2018/1/4/16849148/mta-nyc-subway-countdown-clock-performance-report

6 minutes ago, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

NEWS

Accuracy is the main concern here

By Ameena Walker  Jan 4, 2018, 10:15am EST

mta_countdown_clocks.0.jpg

Courtesy the MTA

The MTA has made good on its promise to install platform countdown clocks at all 471

472, not 471

of its subway stations by the end of 2017 but how well they actually work is now the question that is being raised.

bluetooth? If I'm not mistaken 

According to the New York Post, a good portion of subway signs are inaccurate, displaying arrival times that don’t reflect the actual times that trains show up.

the least I encountered was the arrivals not showing up at all. Then an (E) train shows up

Some stations also have countdown clocks placed in highly inconvenient locations where visibility is impeded,

A-hem (cough) 6 Av and Jamaica lines (B)(D)(F)(J)(M)(Z)

either by another sign or just due to a crummy spot,

hhmmmmm, lemme guess 6 Av, and Crosstown 

like the very far end of the platform, for example.

Sutphin Blvd (E) platform. Crosstown (G) corridor. (Not sure about IRT)

In one instance, a Post reporter found that arrival estimates randomly changed times, jumping from 19 minutes to 10 minutes while in another example, a train arrived before it even showed up on the countdown clock.

That's normal.

MTA officials say that the countdown clocks are continuously being tested in an effort to make them more accurate and that overall, the majority of new clocks are performing well.

here's a hint, HIRE PEOPLE WHO ARE SPECIALIZED IN THIS KIND OF STUFF.

Source: https://ny.curbed.com/2018/1/4/16849148/mta-nyc-subway-countdown-clock-performance-report

Huh, so people are still complaining about Countdown Clocks. Nothing surprising here

1 minute ago, CTK246 said:

To be honest, the placement of these clocks are hilariously bad. I don’t understand how poor placement of clocks was widespread to basically every station rather than just an isolated incident.

Those are facts. Every station that has these "halariously" bad placements need to be rechecked. Aside from that, A LOT of stations need renovation and Rehabilitation 

To answer the question on placement, it's quite apparent the MTA purchased only a certain amount of these displays: one for each platform and each fare control area. The only exception to this rule appears to be on the ESI stations along 4th Avenue. That limit on the number of clocks purchased limits where they can be placed while having the most impact, usually in the middle of the platform. Of course, there are instances where that location is not optimum and the clocks should've been installed elsewhere, but everyone here should know that critical thinking is not the MTA's strong suit. That's why I think the MTA should use the older RGB displays as a supplement until they can order more of the full-color ones.

To address the accuracy of the clocks, maybe I'm just lucky because I've never had any problems with the clocks displaying erroneous data. Except on the (7) line that is, but those clocks are rarely correct. Besides, I don't think the MTA intends to fix that until CBTC can track the trains more accurately with the new signal system.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

To answer the question on placement, it's quite apparent the MTA purchased only a certain amount of these displays: one for each platform and each fare control area. The only exception to this rule appears to be on the ESI stations along 4th Avenue. That limit on the number of clocks purchased limits where they can be placed while having the most impact, usually in the middle of the platform. Of course, there are instances where that location is not optimum and the clocks should've been installed elsewhere, but everyone here should know that critical thinking is not the MTA's strong suit. That's why I think the MTA should use the older RGB displays as a supplement until they can order more of the full-color ones.

To address the accuracy of the clocks, maybe I'm just lucky because I've never had any problems with the clocks displaying erroneous data. Except on the (7) line that is, but those clocks are rarely correct. Besides, I don't think the MTA intends to fix that until CBTC can track the trains more accurately with the new signal system.

Various non-ESI stations (such as Cortlandt Street on the R/W) have additional clocks on the platforms and in mezzanines.

3 hours ago, Lance said:

But don't these systems use bluetooth to track trains? I vaguely remember DJ saying that the clocks get the feed from secondary schedules.

2 hours ago, Lawrence St said:

But don't these systems use bluetooth to track trains? I vaguely remember DJ saying that the clocks get the feed from secondary schedules.

A TV screen is a TV screen. Barring some mind-numbingly stupid design, it should be able to display any information fed to it in the proper format.

Archived