Hiring Freeze In the Metro North

rtm19m

53 minutes ago, Truckie said:

To my knowledge, the wreck crew is strictly internal (maybe there are exceptions).  The are considered the best of the best.   On occasion they have responded to incidents beyond Metro North's territory. 

Oh wow, that may have been the case then. I feel honored to have made it as far as I did then. I did not know they go beyond MNRR's territory either. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, CrazyD said:

Oh wow, that may have been the case then. I feel honored to have made it as far as I did then. I did not know they go beyond MNRR's territory either. 

I've known them to go to NY Penn and Hell Gate.  

Edited by Truckie

On 4/11/2019 at 1:25 PM, Mack38 said:

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, does this freeze affect the LIRR because I interviewed for car repairman on 2/7/19 and haven't heard back at all. Also does anyone know when the next Car Repairman class is? Thanks 

Mnrr and lirr are two separate commuter rails. One may not effect the other. There was a hiring freeze for non essential employees. Im not sure what car repairman is classified as, you can watch the mta board on youtube and they often bring up hiring and freezes mind you the videos are usually 2 hours long.  

Acting Chairman Ferrer opened his remarks by expressing his condolences and asked for a moment of silence for the lost lives of three occupants of a vehicle that was struck along the Long Island Rail Road’s right-of-way in Westbury and he expressed his wishes for the speedy recoveries of those who were injured. He announced that Scott Rechler resigned from the Board and thanked him for his service especially as the Chairman of the Construction Costs Working Group. He introduced two new board members: Sarah Feinberg, former Federal Railroad Administration Administrator, and David Mack, real estate executive and former MTA Board Member. Acting Chairman Ferrer stated that the MTA is under significant financial stress and it is projecting an operating budget deficit of almost $500 million next year, growing to nearly $1 billion by 2022. He stated that the fare and toll increases would be voted on, which are critical to the MTA’s efforts to avoid service reductions and other negative consequences, as they would bring in additional revenue of $336 million annually but it is not enough to fund the Capital Program or close the operating deficit. With regard to MTA reform, Acting Chairman Ferrer stated that a company-wide hiring freeze was implemented for all non-essential and non-represented employees; an executive committee was established to ensure that every vacant MTA job is still absolutely necessary before hiring to fill that position; all operating agencies, including MTA headquarters and MTA Capital Construction, have been asked to identify $500 million in annually recurring savings; the MTA is reducing the hourly rates of consultants and vendors by ten percent; and the MTA is working on consolidating back office functions within operations, between Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North in particular, and enterprise-wide.
The details of Acting Chairman Ferrer’s remarks are contained in the video recording of this meeting, produced by the MTA and maintained in MTA records, and the MTA’s and other agencies’ minutes of the meeting of this date.

cited: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/190327_0900_Board.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Hey guys, 

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything back from Metro North. I was hoping i'd hear something in April but still nothing 🙁

Freeze I believe is still on. NYCTA's contract is up on may 15th and the next board meeting for metro north is may 22nd. We may hear something then? It's a waiting game and there is no telling how long sadly... 

27 minutes ago, Gacerra1 said:

Yep just giving an update

No problem. I just wish there was no freeze at all, sadly we are non essential functions as a custodian. I wish you good luck if you get called in september. Go get it man. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, FrankRizzo said:

Almost a year since I applied. Has everyone else been waiting this long to hear something? Or do you know of anyone waiting at least a year to hear something back? 

Same bro, applied in september of last year. It's a long process as long as we are employed by the MNRR at the end, that's what matters. I'm trying my best to have patience to. 

Edited by CrazyD

• 2 weeks later...