Hiring Freeze In the Metro North

rtm19m

11 minutes ago, FrankRizzo said:

Glad I found this thread. I also applied for custodian. Passed the exam in September. Had my background done in October. Interviewed in November. 

Hope we all hear something back soon.

Same. However, I took my HVAC test last week. There were only about 20 of us. The proctors said you either get a pass or a fail. If you pass, you get an email from Sterling, I guess for background stuff. After, you get an interview and then a PAT physical or something like that. They stated the whole process could take up to a year, but they didn’t mention any hiring freezes, nor did anyone ask. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I went in for the medical on Friday (1/25/19) for the trackworker position they said the freeze is for all non essential jobs , thats also what the board meeting said, it’s on YouTube 

it says it somewhere in the video I can’t remeber where though 

What’s up everyone. I’m currently waiting to hear back from transit for transit electrical helper position for drug test. I took my safety proffiecy assessment in November and haven’t heard back yet. Usually it’s normal to hear back by now after taking that. I heard they cut the OT down till like April so I guess that’s the window when they will let up on this hiring freeze. 

• 2 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, Stan14 said:

The next email should be about a release of drug info, from your previous employer 

Ok thanks , Is that form 49 part 40 ? I already filled that out and mailed it in before my drug and abilities test. Along with the criminal background questionnaire. 

The CFR form, they sent it to me late, I think it was supposed to be in the other peices of paperwork, it was like the only thing that had to be mailed within like 24 hrs. So yea now I’m just waiting too, but I hear class starts in April. So I would expect sometime before then 

11 minutes ago, Stan14 said:

The CFR form, they sent it to me late, I think it was supposed to be in the other peices of paperwork, it was like the only thing that had to be mailed within like 24 hrs. So yea now I’m just waiting too, but I hear class starts in April. So I would expect sometime before then 

Ok , thanks man . This hiring process is crazy . 

On 2/12/2019 at 7:34 AM, JeffG said:

Does anyone know how long it takes to hear back after taking the physical abilities test and drug test ? I took mine for metro north on January 28th and haven't heard anything yet. It's been 2 weeks . 

Two weeks is only a minute or two in railroad time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/30/2019 at 10:32 AM, Stan14 said:

When I went in for the medical on Friday (1/25/19) for the trackworker position they said the freeze is for all non essential jobs , thats also what the board meeting said, it’s on YouTube 

it says it somewhere in the video I can’t remeber where though 

When did you take the exam? I just took one on 3/8/19 and started the background process two business days later. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/18/2018 at 11:26 PM, rtm19m said:

I applied for a Metro North custodian position and I made it all the way to the drug and physical test (and passed). But then I found out that there is a hiring freeze going on now.

I just have a few questions, and if anyone could answer with anything I would greatly appreciate it.

1. How often do these freezes happen?

2. How long do they usually last?

3. Will I have to go through the hiring steps again after the freeze or will it pick up where it left off?

4. Can I apply for other departments or is it a freeze for all departments?

5. What is the turn over for current custodians?

Thanks again everyone.      (Just joined so im sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread)

Did you ever hear back?

2 hours ago, CrazyD said:

It's possible, no clue all we can go by is speculation. They are doing an electrical skilled trades fair at GCT soon that's all I do know.

Yeah I heard about that. I'd go but sadly I'm not skilled at electrical work. Have you tested and interviewed for more than one position? 

4 minutes ago, FrankRizzo said:

Yeah I heard about that. I'd go but sadly I'm not skilled at electrical work. Have you tested and interviewed for more than one position? 

I have tested for quite a few more, however I did not pass them all. Farthest I made it was close to an interview for carman wreck crew. Either I was too green or I believe an internal candidate got it over me, which is fair and fine. The position said filled after my hands on test the following couple days later and I still needed to pass a weld test which takes another week to do I believe. Based on what gacerra said, it takes awhile to start if you are chosen. He has to wait 5 months. 

38 minutes ago, Mack38 said:

Hey guys I'm new to the forum, does this freeze affect the LIRR because I interviewed for car repairman on 2/7/19 and haven't heard back at all. Also does anyone know when the next Car Repairman class is? Thanks 

Mnrr and lirr are two separate commuter rails. One may not effect the other. There was a hiring freeze for non essential employees. Im not sure what car repairman is classified as, you can watch the mta board on youtube and they often bring up hiring and freezes mind you the videos are usually 2 hours long.  

2 hours ago, CrazyD said:

I have tested for quite a few more, however I did not pass them all. Farthest I made it was close to an interview for carman wreck crew. Either I was too green or I believe an internal candidate got it over me, which is fair and fine. The position said filled after my hands on test the following couple days later and I still needed to pass a weld test which takes another week to do I believe. Based on what gacerra said, it takes awhile to start if you are chosen. He has to wait 5 months. 

To my knowledge, the wreck crew is strictly internal (maybe there are exceptions).  The are considered the best of the best.   On occasion they have responded to incidents beyond Metro North's territory.