End of an era the RTS.

busdude2

Not to long ago Coach USA had 7 RTS buses still running. Looking at the latest roster update it looks like they are all gone now. Can anyone confirm this?  If so it is a sad day for transit in NJ.  Just like when the GM Fishbowls were gone.

27 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

That sucks. For some reason NJ RTS never got the love the NYC ones did. They NJT RTS were greatly overshadowed by the Flexible Metro buses when they was around. Not that that's a bad thing, the Flex Metro are great buses in their own right.

That's because the RTSes left a bigger impact and legacy in New York. NY has used the RTS since 1981 and is still used today. When you think about the Bus side of the MTA, most people have the RTS as the GOAT of all buses. In New Jersey's case, The Flexibles were the face of the NJ Transit. While the RTSes played second banana to the Flexibles in Jersey. Its kinda like how MTA's Orion 5s were. They were great buses, but the RTS got most of the attention. Imagine NJ Transit with out the Metros. Now imagine New York with out the RTS. Can't have them with out both. I think a big factor is the areas covered. For example, The RTS has been present in every borough and every depot at least once for years. Meanwhile the 1999 - 2000 New Flyer C40LF (Another loved bus model) were only found in Jackie Gleason routes for most of there lives. So I think the more prevelant a bus model is, the more attatched people are to a specific.

Everybody knows the Metros (especially NJ) because of the way the bus would sway when it would turn. The memorable thing about NJ RTS to me was the rear door design (only because it was different from New York's RTSes and that they had Orange destination signs (Compared to New York mostly have Flipdot destination signs). But the RTSes that New Jersey had are one of the best buses that NJ Transit ever had. They were just not remembered like New York's. 

If it weren't for Flxible's demise, perhaps the RTS wouldn't be running on NJ Transits bus routes. Those 96' NovaBus RTSs may have been Flxible Metro "E" instead. Anyhow, I appreciated that NJT had both the Metro and RTS...pioneers of the advance bus design program 

2 hours ago, Ron2themax said:

If it weren't for Flxible's demise, perhaps the RTS wouldn't be running on NJ Transits bus routes. Those 96' NovaBus RTSs may have been Flxible Metro "E" instead. Anyhow, I appreciated that NJT had both the Metro and RTS...pioneers of the advance bus design program 

True, but I would have also like New Jersey Transit to try Orion 5s. They did have Orion 6s but gave them to the MTA. Would've been cool to have all three.

Archived