R262 (R62/R62A Replacement) - Information & Discussion

Union Tpke
Message added by East New York

04289B70-0E3E-4F9D-B575-F4A226826C79.jpeg

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nitro said:

The new fleet should be called the R176s and R192s.

You are a troll god damn it I should’ve known, anyways I’ll tell why it cannot be named R176 and R192

The R Type contract has reached the 200’s series, the 100’s series ended with the R188 order, the rest are used for non service trains (work trains) the R211 is the beginning of the 200 series R contract, following the R262/268 contract, and so on  

2 hours ago, Chris89292 said:

You are a troll god damn it I should’ve known, anyways I’ll tell why it cannot be named R176 and R192

The R Type contract has reached the 200’s series, the 100’s series ended with the R188 order, the rest are used for non service trains (work trains) the R211 is the beginning of the 200 series R contract, following the R262/268 contract, and so on  

That's some b u l l s h i t the MTA pretended to overuse their assets when they could have started from the existing R named assets that they still have at this time it's ridiculous how they had to raise that shit up by 11.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/22/2023 at 6:10 PM, Nitro said:

That's some b u l l s h i t the MTA pretended to overuse their assets when they could have started from the existing R named assets that they still have at this time it's ridiculous how they had to raise that shit up by 11.

It really isn't. Work trains need to be bought, too. Not just subway trains. You're just making it seem like work trains don't exist. Ha, and since you're revoked, you can't quote! HAHA!

Edited by Ale188

Two things can be true:

1. The MTA has always done it this way. Passenger rolling stock is named by contract number, and those contracts include all kinds of random things like shop equipment. R25 was for "one wheel truing machine". Therefore the numbers have rarely been consecutive (for passenger rolling stock). They were never intended to be. 
  2. It is weird how the MTA refers to passenger rolling stock fleets by contract numbers that include things as unrelated as shop equipment. It makes a teensy bit of sense at the time the contract is awarded, then zero sense for the rest of history. In any other system, these would have been the R50 or something. Just look at how every other system in the world names their passenger rolling stock, and the MTA is a complete outlier. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/8/2023 at 7:09 PM, rbrome said:

Two things can be true:

1. The MTA has always done it this way. Passenger rolling stock is named by contract number, and those contracts include all kinds of random things like shop equipment. R25 was for "one wheel truing machine". Therefore the numbers have rarely been consecutive (for passenger rolling stock). They were never intended to be. 
  2. It is weird how the MTA refers to passenger rolling stock fleets by contract numbers that include things as unrelated as shop equipment. It makes a teensy bit of sense at the time the contract is awarded, then zero sense for the rest of history. In any other system, these would have been the R50 or something. Just look at how every other system in the world names their passenger rolling stock, and the MTA is a complete outlier. 

WMATA and CTA  both names their trains by number series (ie, #5000s or #7000s).

On 9/30/2023 at 8:49 AM, Travis Mcnonald said:

WMATA and CTA  both names their trains by number series (ie, #5000s or #7000s).

Exactly what I mean. That would make more sense, (although the MTA might need to move to five digits for that to work well). 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2023 at 3:19 PM, rbrome said:

Exactly what I mean. That would make more sense, (although the MTA might need to move to five digits for that to work well). 

MTA seems to be very institutional with it's nomenclature for a lot of things, even if said nomenclature may seem inefficient today or no longer make sense. Really doubt they change it unless there's a serious reason. Being stuck in a cycle of x11, x62, x79, x42, and x43 cars for the rest of time though would just be cursed.

I think another factor at play here is the MTA's fleet has never been constant across the board. For instance in WMATA, any train can more or less run on any line, whereas on the MTA you have A and B divison, and within the B division 75 footers can't run on certain lines and whatnot. In addition, we've seen many times where the MTA has ordered multiple models of trains at once with none being a "progression" of the other. (ex R142 and R143, R211, R211t, ect).

Good naming convention may frankly may just be to do it by "A" or "B" + year contract was awarded and then any additional signifier they may wish the end to denote slight variants (like R211 vs R211t).