Jump to content


Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Bay Ridge Express

Next phase in improving NYC's bus speeds: Revamping 24 streets

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What is a queue jump?

They are small bus lanes and specially timed signals that give the buses priority over other vehicles at intersections to speed buses. In other words, the light would turn green for buses before other vehicles. Link to it here: https://nyc.streetsblog.org/2016/10/05/queue-jumps-a-simple-fix-to-speed-up-nycs-buses/

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, QM1to6Ave said:

What is a queue jump?

Pretty sure that's when buses get to cross the street before the cars do. Bqsically there are two traffic signals. One labeled "bus only" the other for the rest of traffic. The bus only sign will switch green a few seconds before the car one switches, allowing the bus to cross without getting caught up in all the shenanigans the cars/trucks/taxis/etc will cause.

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Orion6025 said:

Pretty sure that's when buses get to cross the street before the cars do. Bqsically there are two traffic signals. One labeled "bus only" the other for the rest of traffic. The bus only sign will switch green a few seconds before the car one switches, allowing the bus to cross without getting caught up in all the shenanigans the cars/trucks/taxis/etc will cause.

I’ve only seen only 2 in Brooklyn and they are both Downtown. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/20/2019 at 4:57 PM, Gotham Bus Co. said:

 

DOT did that (partially) in the early 1990s at the behest of Senator D'Amato and the Jamaica Avenue merchants who were upset about buses being rerouted to Archer/Parsons. It was an unmitigated disaster that unnecessarily slowed down every bus that used Jamaica or Archer. (One result was creation of the Q4/Q5/Q85 Limiteds that used Liberty Avenue to bypass the one-way pair. Limiteds still use Liberty 25 years after the "experiment" ended.)

I believe it was 1993 when they (Q4, 5, 42, 83, 84, 85 and N4) taken off Jamaica Av to serve Archer in both directions. I think the Q30/31 and 43 were rerouted as well. I suppose the same thing happened 13 years later with the Q6, 8, 9 and 41. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Q30/31 run down Archer (East) and up (West) Jamaica...

Q43 since I can remember never touched Jamaica Ave... always ran up Sutphin to Hillside from the Archer Ave side of Jamaica Station 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, JFK Depot said:

Q30/31 run down Archer (East) and up (West) Jamaica...

Q43 since I can remember never touched Jamaica Ave... always ran up Sutphin to Hillside from the Archer Ave side of Jamaica Station 

The Q43 uses Jamaica Av to get to 146 and layover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The first improvements! These are much needed!

Lexington Ave, 96th St to 60th St, MN

DOT is proposing upgrades to the existing curbside bus lane, by moving it to the “offset” position, one lane away from the curb. The proposed design will improve bus speeds and reliability for M98, M101, M102, and M103 bus riders while improve curb access for local businesses.

They should proofread-it says 68 Av and 63 Av.

Lexington Ave Bus Lane Enhancement - presented to Manhattan CB 8 Transportation Committee in May 2019 (pdf)

 

See this video I took (It is usually worse)

 

Edited by Union Tpke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two more are out:

Fresh Pond Rd, Metropolitan Ave to Putnam Ave, QN
DOT is proposing transit and traffic improvements along Fresh Pond Rd, including a southbound bus lane and changes to curb and meter regulations to increase available parking and reduce congestion. These measures will improve bus speeds and reliability on the Q58, QM24, QM25 and QM35 routes while alleviating traffic congestion for all vehicles.
Fresh Pond Rd Transit Improvements – presented to Queens Community Board 5 Transportation and Public Transit Committee in May 2019 (pdf)

Malcolm X Blvd / Utica Ave, Chauncey St to Atlantic Ave, BK
DOT is proposing a southbound curbside bus lane along Malcolm X Blvd / Utica Ave between Chauncey St and Atlantic Ave, and signal modifications at the intersection of Utica Ave & Atlantic Ave. These improvements will alleviate a major bottleneck on the B46 Local and Select Bus Service, Brooklyn’s busiest bus route.
Malcolm X Blvd / Utica Ave Transit Improvements – presented to Brooklyn Community Board 3 Transportation Committee in May 2019 (pdf)

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Union Tpke said:

Two more are out:

Fresh Pond Rd, Metropolitan Ave to Putnam Ave, QN
DOT is proposing transit and traffic improvements along Fresh Pond Rd, including a southbound bus lane and changes to curb and meter regulations to increase available parking and reduce congestion. These measures will improve bus speeds and reliability on the Q58, QM24, QM25 and QM35 routes while alleviating traffic congestion for all vehicles.
Fresh Pond Rd Transit Improvements – presented to Queens Community Board 5 Transportation and Public Transit Committee in May 2019 (pdf)

Malcolm X Blvd / Utica Ave, Chauncey St to Atlantic Ave, BK
DOT is proposing a southbound curbside bus lane along Malcolm X Blvd / Utica Ave between Chauncey St and Atlantic Ave, and signal modifications at the intersection of Utica Ave & Atlantic Ave. These improvements will alleviate a major bottleneck on the B46 Local and Select Bus Service, Brooklyn’s busiest bus route.
Malcolm X Blvd / Utica Ave Transit Improvements – presented to Brooklyn Community Board 3 Transportation Committee in May 2019 (pdf)

Fix your link @Union Tpke 

you have the Fresh Pond Road PDF on both. No Malcolm X-Utica-Chauncey-Atlantic pdf. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.