Transit Electrical Helper, Exam No. 9624

NycHopeful718

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@GhostRiderNYC @Kad96 Still havent received anything in the mail, i wonder how much longer i have to wait? I also wonder about the last exam 8611, do they just skim the top of every list? They dont check any quals before taking the multiple choice so im almost sure alot of people have gotten disqualified because they THINK they meet the requirements

On 1/28/2020 at 3:58 PM, Elk N said:

@GhostRiderNYC @Kad96 Still havent received anything in the mail, i wonder how much longer i have to wait? I also wonder about the last exam 8611, do they just skim the top of every list? They dont check any quals before taking the multiple choice so im almost sure alot of people have gotten disqualified because they THINK they meet the requirements

I spoke to Pre Employment and they are in the 550 range from the 720 who passed the 8611 exam. They need to process and hire/disqualify all those remaining people first before they even start the process on our exam. 

and we don’t even have list numbers, the lady from pre employment said to expect at least a year or so before we hear something from them. 

so I guess it’s best to just forget about the exam for now.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2020 at 2:45 PM, MelissaDream said:

Hi,

im trying to apply this year for the same position. Do you need you license to apply ? I’m currently in process of getting mine.

I applied last April and took the first exam in August and didn't get my license until November. So yeah you can :)

• 2 weeks later...

It would probably be a quicker process if the people at the exams unit check all qualifications before handing out invitations to the first test. Some people have bullshit experience or take the test thinking they will receive a call without the proper degree or certification. If they do consider people without proper quals then thats also bull.

Dont they screen that when you circle which requirement qualifies you during the actual exam like the education or work experience. And doesn’t it mean you meet you meet the minimum requirements if they Scheudled you for the spa?? 

@Kad96You can put whatever you want on those things, theres probably alot of people who lie and now they gotta weed through those people all day. Best case due to this virus we will be here back sometime 2022 :(. Good luck everyone during these hard times and i hope everyone is okay. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/6/2019 at 6:58 AM, NycHopeful718 said:

Took the exam on 08/03, the staff said they were expecting 300 people in that session alone. 

It’s was all reading comprehension, with the exception of one of two ohms law questions or power formula questions.

The answer keys will be posted on 09/05.

Hopefully they give us the SPA relatively quick like the last time since they are hurting for applicants. 

For 2018 they took the exam in July and took the spa in December, and started hiring by June 2019

Hey , what exactly did you mean by “reading comprehension “ questions ?

Can you give an example, so it isn’t 40 questions on the types of electrical tools and materials you should and should not be using ?

So one you have power /watt formula down packed and ohms law you should be good ?

What about Columns Law?

(Anyone who’s taking the test I would appreciate input thank you very much )

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 4:24 AM, Helper T said:

Hey , what exactly did you mean by “reading comprehension “ questions ?

Can you give an example, so it isn’t 40 questions on the types of electrical tools and materials you should and should not be using ?

So one you have power /watt formula down packed and ohms law you should be good ?

What about Columns Law?

(Anyone who’s taking the test I would appreciate input thank you very much )

Don’t go in thinking too hard it’s pretty much a commonsense test they’re just going off experience and schooling more than Anything it doesn’t go that deep but if you know how to break down a Combination Circuit you should be OK

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/4/2020 at 7:01 PM, Jamal022 said:

NYCT Employment is now open as far as Calling them for info here the # (347) 643-7221 Good luck Brothers and Sisters

Thanks. I called they said exam list would be established by the end of this year, since they had been closed for the virus on march, I will keep you guys posted if I hear anything. 

Or anyone can share your updates. Stay safe everyone!

Edited by sweetorange

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2020 at 6:34 PM, NycHopeful718 said:

I spoke to Pre Employment and they are in the 550 range from the 720 who passed the 8611 exam. They need to process and hire/disqualify all those remaining people first before they even start the process on our exam. 

and we don’t even have list numbers, the lady from pre employment said to expect at least a year or so before we hear something from them. 

so I guess it’s best to just forget about the exam for now.

Any updates??

• 4 weeks later...

Did anyone receive an email about canvassing for the transit electrical helper exam  do we need our CDL for this position because the original listing of the examination did not say anything about having your CDL and this email that we received today says that we do so kind of confused. 

I received an email from them about canvassing but it did not state where to submit the application and by what date. Did it say in your email? Also in the application it asks for your list number which i never got. As for the CDL im not sure, i thought that was for selective certification.

To everyone that received the canvass letter congrats! I called nyctexams and they said ignore the cdl part, fill out everything that says to fill out, pay attention because some of it is for office use or its a letter they send to our DOT employer which only needs to be partially filled out. Send it to the same email you received it from ASAP.