Transit Electrical Helper, Exam No. 9624

NycHopeful718

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Elk N said:

Basically just a drug test, I came business casual for no reason lol. How was everything for those who came today?

How long did it take for the drug test appointment,  was there any other medical tests or filling out papers?

Have you had the chance to ask them if it’s a provisional or temporary appointment?

I’m scheduled 8:15 on Thursday.

10 hours ago, GhostRiderNYC said:

How long did it take for the drug test appointment,  was there any other medical tests or filling out papers?

Have you had the chance to ask them if it’s a provisional or temporary appointment?

I’m scheduled 8:15 on Thursday.

We are all in for permanent, they check that your id, and social check out on your canvass letter, and then they send you to pee, and you go home. Took about an hour maybe less. We all should know next week if we are good to go or not. Heard someone get congratulated when they were in the test lab. Weird maybe we are already set and we dont even know it. 

4 minutes ago, Jnbklyn said:

Good luck to all of you, i got lucky and was hired for the TEH position in June 2019. If you guys have any questions feel free to hit me up. 

Thanks! What was the process like AFTER the drug test? and what department did you land in?

4 minutes ago, Elk N said:

Thanks! What was the process like AFTER the drug test? and what department did you land in?

After the drug test you go in for pre employment, fill out a bunch of paperwork, verify your past employment/education/living location stuff like that. After the pre employment you get called in to do your medical examination. Just a couple of simple tests, like hearing, eye sight, and a quick questionnaire asked by a nurse/doctor? a couple other medical tests but nothing crazy like blood tests or anything like that. The medical is the last step, they swear you in and take your picture for your MTA pass ID same day as the medical. After medical you get your class information/starting day. Starting day is always at the union headquarters at 195 montague st in brooklyn. First two days is just HR and the union talking up how great it is that you got hired haha. The 3rd day is when you report to PS 248 the transit learning center where i assume you guys took your exams. You stay at the school for a couple weeks depending on what department you guys land in, i was there for 5 weeks.

I landed in elevator/escalator department.

15 minutes ago, GhostRiderNYC said:

Could you could you tell us what was the hiring process process like,

I’m assuming you hired as provisional did they say anything how are your status will change as soon as list becomes certified?

everyone who is hired off the civil service exam (the one you took) is permanent status. Only people who are hired "off the street" with just a resume/interview are provisional. They need to take and pass the same civil service exam you took to become permanent. 

I passed exam 8611 so im permanent. Im assuming you dont have youre list number yet cause they are backed up cause of covid but once they hire you, you will be in a permanent position.

4 minutes ago, Jnbklyn said:

After the drug test you go in for pre employment, fill out a bunch of paperwork, verify your past employment/education/living location stuff like that. After the pre employment you get called in to do your medical examination. Just a couple of simple tests, like hearing, eye sight, and a quick questionnaire asked by a nurse/doctor? a couple other medical tests but nothing crazy like blood tests or anything like that. The medical is the last step, they swear you in and take your picture for your MTA pass ID same day as the medical. After medical you get your class information/starting day. Starting day is always at the union headquarters at 195 montague st in brooklyn. First two days is just HR and the union talking up how great it is that you got hired haha. The 3rd day is when you report to PS 248 the transit learning center where i assume you guys took your exams. You stay at the school for a couple weeks depending on what department you guys land in, i was there for 5 weeks.

I landed in elevator/escalator department.

How would we prove our past employment? hm I thought pre- employment and drug test were the same day. Since they asked me to verify what I put on my canvass letter was correct.

3 minutes ago, Elk N said:

How would we prove our past employment? hm I thought pre- employment and drug test were the same day. Since they asked me to verify what I put on my canvass letter was correct.

it might be, i forgot the order for preemployment/drug test days. We also didnt have a canvass letter, might be something new they are doing due to covid. As for the verifying your employment its up to them to verify. Honestly i dont think they checked up on anyones past employment. We got a huge influx of helpers (close to 70) into my department, the people in my class are pretty good because they all either had experience working in the electrical field or went to college for electrical theory. The later hires were all picked up from odd professions that had nothing to do with electrical and it shows unfortunately. Some of them look like they never picked up a hammer in their life. 

10 minutes ago, Jnbklyn said:

it might be, i forgot the order for preemployment/drug test days. We also didnt have a canvass letter, might be something new they are doing due to covid. As for the verifying your employment its up to them to verify. Honestly i dont think they checked up on anyones past employment. We got a huge influx of helpers (close to 70) into my department, the people in my class are pretty good because they all either had experience working in the electrical field or went to college for electrical theory. The later hires were all picked up from odd professions that had nothing to do with electrical and it shows unfortunately. Some of them look like they never picked up a hammer in their life. 

I see, thanks for the info. I think our next step is gonna be physical and swear in.

19 minutes ago, GhostRiderNYC said:

Thank you very much for all your information you have no idea how much it’s appreciated.

It’s a longshot but do you know why They asking about CDL license and perhaps would department is getting helpers now?

Also I heard different thinks about signal  do you know anything about?

Not sure about the CDL license but its definitely not a requirement to be hired. I know E/E department is desperate for new hires cause its so hard for them to hire veteran E/E personnel from the outside so they are trying out a new tactic of hiring fresh people with no E/E experience and training them up. Signals is always looking for new hires as well. Everybody who got hired from my exam either went to power/signals or E/E. 

I dont know anyone in signals personally but i heard from friends who know fellow helpers in signals that its basically just flagging all day everyday. 

Im not sure how long they will give you to notify your employer cause of the circumstances right now but they didnt give me anytime at all. They called me on a monday to schedule my medical for Wednesday of the same week and told me in the same phone call if i would be able to start the following monday. Unfortunately i was only able to give my employer a one week notice, but im also very young so a long career with MTA over potentially burning a bridge because i couldnt give a 2 week notice was a no brainer for me. 

You do have a small say over your schedules in the beginning. So in MTA your seniority is everything, seniority is different from your list number. For example say they hire 20 people with the list numbers ranging from 1-150. If im #50 on the list i could be #10 out of the class of 20 depending on what list number the other 19 people are. At the end of your training your instructor will have a list of 20 available spots for you and your classmates to choose from. The spots will have a reporting location, days off, tour of duty listed. (for example: 34th St penn station/ Sunday-Monday off/ 10pm-6am). Since your #10 out of the class of 20 you would choose after the first 9 people make their selections. Kind of like a draft pick for sports teams. Your instructor will explain everything in great detail but word of advice if you could get sunday-monday off. Take it, trust me. 

Edited by Jnbklyn

6 minutes ago, Kad96 said:

@Jnbklyn what do you do in the ee dept as a helper. Do the maintainers on the job take time and teach you?? Heard many things from diff people but never from a person within that dept appreciate all the info

Depends on how good/how well liked you are to be blunt. In my experience if youre willing to learn and show aptitude the old heads have no problem teaching you the ropes. Me and my classmates have been in for over a year now and we actually do serious work, from full on inspections, maintenance packages and repairs. We didnt have any time to sit around and do nothing, trail by fire sort of training right from the beginning. 

Theres a couple of a**holes who wont teach you a lick but theres many maintainers who want to teach you. Makes sense, once you learn the job you make their job easier as well. 

Edited by Jnbklyn

1 hour ago, GhostRiderNYC said:

Thank you very much for all your information you have no idea how much it’s appreciated.

It’s a longshot but do you know why They asking about CDL license and perhaps would department is getting helpers now?

Also I heard different thinks about signal  do you know anything about?

I think that email and canvass letter we got covers every single position, they just got lazy and didn't remove it sorta thing.

2 minutes ago, Kad96 said:

I don’t get it I emailed my canvas letter on the 21st but still haven’t heard anything back and some sent it the day before the deadline and got invited to the drug test confused if I missed anything. 

Call the number on the canvass letter tomorrow!! 

17 hours ago, Kad96 said:

I don’t get it I emailed my canvas letter on the 21st but still haven’t heard anything back and some sent it the day before the deadline and got invited to the drug test confused if I missed anything. 

Yeah me too, I revived the email on 9/17 and replied 9/19 and still didnt get any updates. At first i was going to wait and see what happens but now im worried if I missed something too. Only mistake I can think off my head is that i sent it to the wrong email. On 9/17 NYC Transit emailed me the canvas letter and on 9/18 MOW Employment Operation Emailed me the canvass also but I replied back my filled application to the NYC Transit email that sent me on 9/17. Is that correct or im supposed to send it back to the MOW email? BTW i dont have CDL so thats what i was thinking of waiting for a bit before panicking cause i assume CLD bumps you up a bit on the list.   

22 minutes ago, fazil13 said:

Yeah me too, I revived the email on 9/17 and replied 9/19 and still didnt get any updates. At first i was going to wait and see what happens but now im worried if I missed something too. Only mistake I can think off my head is that i sent it to the wrong email. On 9/17 NYC Transit emailed me the canvas letter and on 9/18 MOW Employment Operation Emailed me the canvass also but I replied back my filled application to the NYC Transit email that sent me on 9/17. Is that correct or im supposed to send it back to the MOW email? BTW i dont have CDL so thats what i was thinking of waiting for a bit before panicking cause i assume CLD bumps you up a bit on the list.   

Should have been sent to MOW email :/, call the number on the canvass letter ASAP

4 hours ago, Kad96 said:

Same here I’ve sent it to two diff emails and no reply yet and I’ve called numerous numbers and just getting the run around. 

On same boat here. Sent application to both emails and haven't heard back since.