Your Transit Memorabilia

Brighton Local

i got the hard hat from a freind who retired from transit one year ago.

also the tracks i brought off ebay for $10.00 6 streights but i forgot how much the curves were i have alot of tubular track but i might go atlas for a layout im building or trying to build anyways.:cool:

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
This question seems stupid, but how do you get an MTA New York City Transit reflective vest without being an MTA employee?

Either you know someone or you get one on a tour. One of my vests came form a tour at CIY many years ago. They are items that do not leave the house or if they do, they are used for something like bike riding up state.

You are not going to get one at a fan trip. In fact if there is one place you are virtually assured NOT to get one it's a fan trip.

The trips are a lot of fun, but along with the regular visitors, railfans, museum members, and curious people who just want to ride an old train for a day, they also bring out "the foam line" - so the reasons for this should be pretty obvious.

Best way to get one is to know someone...

You are not going to get one at a fan trip. In fact if there is one place you are virtually assured NOT to get one it's a fan trip.

The trips are a lot of fun, but along with the regular visitors, railfans, museum members, and curious people who just want to ride an old train for a day, they also bring out "the foam line" - so the reasons for this should be pretty obvious.

Best way to get one is to know someone...

Well, I said I was going on the Nostalgia ride on August 2nd, and they have included the 207th Street Yard/Shop tour. I was asking if I would get one at that yard/shop tour.

Sunday, August 2 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

NOSTALGIA RIDE: 81ST STREET-CENTRAL PARK WEST

$30, Museum members $25, Children (5 - 17) $10 including Museum admission

Ride the Transit Museum's vintage fleet! Enjoy exclusive access to the Museum before boarding for a trip east on the A line, terminating on Manhattan's Upper West Side, where we tour Arts for Transit's "For Want of a Nail," at the American Museum of Natural History. Walking tours of Central Park or the Museum wrap up the day. If you love trains, stay on board for an uptown trip and shop tour at 207th Street!

Well, I said I was going on the Nostalgia ride on August 2nd, and they have included the 207th Street Yard/Shop tour. I was asking if I would get one at that yard/shop tour.

I know. I am well aware of that trip and tour. Like I said before Vest ain't gonna happen unless you know someone, just stating facts.

Just think if the tour of 207yd is part of the nostalgia ride, you're not going to be the only one going there!

Ok, will do, just remember I don't know nothing about shop work, so if I break something, its not my fault :)

Heh...you'll be heavily supervised, don't worry you won't get anything out of your comfort level and remember you can always ask questions too.

On a side note the center casting on the Broad st. truck has now been modified to take the Arnine so it can be a shop truck for the Arnine when we do the motor swap.

Heh...you'll be heavily supervised, don't worry you won't get anything out of your comfort level and remember you can always ask questions too.

On a side note the center casting on the Broad st. truck has now been modified to take the Arnine so it can be a shop truck for the Arnine when we do the motor swap.

Has the power supply been wired up yet?

Also the yard tour were I got my vest was a long time ago and was not run through the museum.

Has the power supply been wired up yet?

Also the yard tour were I got my vest was a long time ago and was not run through the museum.

Hasn't been wired yet AFAIK, I didn't take a full walk back there though so not 100% positive. Even if it gets wired though we still have to build a ventilation shaft and poke a vent in the wall to outside so that the MA gets cool, sawdust free air in the intake

How are you supposed to get a tour of CIY without the Transit Museum sponsoring it?

It was through the ERA New York Div. but don't bother trying to go on a yard tour with them just to get a vest as they don't give them out any more. The only was to get one is to know someone, but even then you may still not get one since there have been some foamers who have used them for some not so legitimate activities.

Old style flagging lantern for point to point flagging of small groups or individuals on or about the roadbed.

DSC01281.jpg

How are you supposed to get a tour of CIY without the Transit Museum sponsoring it?

As I've said before the best way to get a vest unless you are an employee is to know someone. It's a highly sought after item by some who have devious intentions which is why we call them "the foamer's holy grail". MTA does not want unauthorized people to have them for exactly that reason. They're not "give aways" they're meant for the employees. If you were to get one it'd be a favor from someone you know, nothing more.

The tour you won't need a vest because there will be plenty of people with vests leading you around, plus you won't be going anywhere you'd need a vest, like a yard lead or the roadbed. You will tour the shops, and likely see some of the equipment headed for the reef. Likewise when there's a tour train movements are kept to a minimum except what is absolutely necessary and the group will not be near that.