Your Transit Memorabilia

Brighton Local

I do not collect vintage signs that are associated with the city of New York's transit system too often; however, I came across this vintage decal that I believe saw service in a train car on Staten Island. Personally, I have always been fond of that classic "M," and, since this is from my hometown, I had to acquire it, since it caught my attention. Below, is a picture of what it looks like.

SIROTA.jpg

Note that the decal is labeled as S.I.R.T.O.A., which stands for Staten Island Rapid Transit Operating Authority (now known as the Staten Island Railway). A really great decal and piece of New York City's transit system history.

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice decal you have there. What car in particular did you see this decal on? I assume the R44-SI cars that have been there for the longest while now.

(also, as a word of advice, try not to revive threads more than a couple months old. You had something to contribute here, but just a heads up.)

(also, as a word of advice, try not to revive threads more than a couple months old. You had something to contribute here, but just a heads up.)

I moved his post here because this is where it belongs.  This thread is now pinned and open for posting.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

My only piece of transit memorabilia is an old 1979 subway map with the Train to the Plane, Dean Street and double letters on trains. It also has the mini maps for each line on the back, which I always loved. I plan on getting a rollsign from the (MTA) site, but it says I need an Allen key. Where do I get that?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For those who did not notice, all of the memorabilia that was posted between 9/10/2009 and 3/20/2013 has disappeared. Myself, along with Harry and probably others on this site are disappointed. With that said, I re-posted my memorabilia on 4/6/2013 (post #254), which I am still willing to exchange, if interested. However, I recently came across some more memorabilia, which does NOT belong to me:

photogbg.jpg

(source: http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6922/photogbg.jpg)

If someone can do me a huge favor and elaborate on what all of these keys are for I would appreciate it. I personally know the second key from the top is an old IRT key which is still used on the redbirds and the Lo-Vs (in addition to possibly some Rider Cars as well). The bottom curved key is currently used to gain access to all of the cabs on today's subway cars which are running (A & B Division). The key underneath that is primarily used by conductors to open and close the doors at the stations.

Thanks in advance!

I always wanted to know what specifically those other four keys are as well. I know they are extra IRT keys (B Div. never got them), and from years ago, as by the time I got to the IRT (6 years ago), they were no longer giving them out.

I heard not just redbirs, but also even some R62/62A as well. Different barns apparently had different keys. One was called the "Pelham Key" I heard. So if anyone knows which each one was, I would like to know as well.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 1979 NYC subway map, a 9/18/2001 small map, December 2001 Map, the centennial map, many schedules and maps from 2004-present. Many service change brochures, LIRR and MNR schedules, MTA bus schedules, Bee Line schedules l, Albany bus schedules, NJTransit train and bus schedules. Durham bus schedules, Airtrain JFK and Newark schedules. Many Transit maps from all the U.S and Canada. Septa train and bus schedules, Washington Metro train map and bus schedules, Amtrak schedules. PATH schedules, Boston bus schedules and subway map. There are many more I can't mention now. I have two subway tokens and one bridge token, recent LIRR and MNR tickets and receipts, old Metrocards, free bus transfer, Old LIRR zone map from 1950s, LIRR souvenier, different pocket subway naps, different subway logo bears, subway shirts, NYC bus maps, 2010 service cuts. There are pictures I will post at another time.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I have two subway maps, with one from January 1994 and the other from last year, some bus schedules from last year as well as a number of bus maps, six different audio CD recordings of various equipment between the 1960s-1990s (Steinway and Standard Lo-Vs, BMT Standards, D-Types, SIRT ME-1s, R1-9s, and IRT Redbirds), four different DVDs showing various equipment in action between the 50s-early 90s, a slew of old Metrocards dating from 2005, and finally a slide of R10 #2974 (formerly 1820) taken on September 6th of 1989, which was just two days before the R10s retired on the 8th. A picture of this stuff will come in the near future. Until then that's all folks.

I have two subway maps, with one from January 1994 and the other from last year, some bus schedules from last year as well as a number of bus maps, six different audio CD recordings of various equipment between the 1960s-1990s (Steinway and Standard Lo-Vs, BMT Standards, D-Types, SIRT ME-1s, R1-9s, and IRT Redbirds), four different DVDs showing various equipment in action between the 50s-early 90s, a slew of old Metrocards dating from 2005, and finally a slide of R10 #2967 (formerly 1820) taken on September 6th of 1989, which was just two days before the R10s retired on the 8th. A picture of this stuff will come in the near future. Until then that's all folks.

Fixed a mistake.

Edited by DJ MC

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been wanting to do this for some time!  First up is my magnet collection:

002.jpg

005.jpg

009.jpg

Some light rail stuff...

014.jpg

As for NYC related stuff, this is what I have...

023.jpg

SEPTA and CTA subway, trolley, and bus models, as well as a MARTA token...

029.jpg

And finally, some Metro stuff...

040.jpg

I got some other odds and ends laying around, but this is all for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, you better call me a flyer freak!

That's basically my own memorabilia other than 100 Old Metrocards :P (Not shown)

Het Begin!

I got these maps from Ebay a few days ago. I think t'was a good deal. 10 bucks for both.

IMG_3056_zpsf8bc66cb.jpg

The box. I keep it locked (well used to, before the lock broke)

IMG_3058_zps5c52c52a.jpg

Some new and old age subway service advisories (Some date back to as far as '08)

IMG_3060_zpsad622ce6.jpg

Misc. Service Changes and Adverts. Also the budget cuts of 2010.

IMG_3062_zpsfc5f88e2.jpg

LIRR Timetables. Some limited game + service change ones in there too.

IMG_3064_zpsd97e71fa.jpg

Closeup on the color.

IMG_3065_zps2906ebea.jpg

Port Jeff FTW.

IMG_3066_zpsa13c35f4.jpg

Game day!

IMG_3067_zps341a3b42.jpg

Timeytables. They date back to the good times, before the MTA was brokish.

IMG_3069_zps0bdfb3f2.jpg

IMG_3068_zps57995358.jpg

Mozeralla Busey. (Inside joke) Timetables galore. I think this is the most I have of one kind of flyer.

IMG_3070_zps7738c33d.jpg

Norm.

IMG_3072_zps4d9e3151.jpg

IMG_3071_zps481629ba.jpg

Xpress.

IMG_3073_zps1654d48b.jpg

The MAP.

IMG_3074_zps773f262c.jpg

The bus MAP.

IMG_3075_zps138fb8df.jpg

IMG_3076_zps6fe6392f.jpg

IMG_3077_zps55526ced.jpg

WMTA stuff. Three things. Not much.

IMG_3079_zps1469e6bf.jpg

*BONUS* The 2001 Map - A Look Inside *BONUS*

Manhattan Focus.

IMG_3080_zpsea7ea0b1.jpg

Bay Ridge. Connections cease to confuse meh.

IMG_3081_zpsa44753e7.jpg

Astoria. No (N) tran.

IMG_3082_zps5de9fe82.jpg\

Upper Manhattan focus.  :75px-NYCS-bull-trans-S6_svg: train ran at the time.

IMG_3085_zps1a7ded4c.jpg

Rockaway Focus. (A) was square and (S) was blue. Dayum.

IMG_3084_zpsdfc0d5e3.jpg

That's all folks. G' Night.

• 1 month later...