New Bus Schedules 4/3/21

Silver Script

New timetables will be posted for the following NJ TRANSIT Bus Routes:

1/361, 5, 6, 11/28, 13, 21, 25/GO25/375, 26/52, 29, 30, 34, 37, 39, 40, 41, 48, 58, 59, 62, 64, 65/66, 67, 68, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 76, 78/378, 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 90, 92, 94, 96, 97, 99, 107, 108, 111, 112, 113, 114/117, 116, 120, 122/190, 123, 124/129/329, 126, 128/165/166/168, 130/132/136/139, 131/135, 133, 137, 138, 144/145/148/164, 151/161, 153/159, 154, 155/168, 156, 157/167/177, 158, 160, 162/163/164, 165, 166, 171, 175, 178/182, 181, 186, 188, 191/195, 191/192/195/199, 193/194/197/198/324, 194, 196/197/198, GO28, 313/315, 317, 320, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 405, 406, 407, 408, 409, 410, 412, 413, 414/417/555, 419, 450, 451, 452, 453, 455, 457, 459, 501, 502, 504, 505, 507, 508, 509, 551, 552, 553, 554, 559, 600, 601, 603/613, 605, 606, 607, 608, 609/619, 624, 703, 704, 712, 770, 772, Capital Connection and Woodbury Combined.

Please note the following service changes:

On bus routes mentioned above, trip times and service levels have been adjusted to reflect current travel experience and improve reliability.

Nos. 26, 58, 115, 154, 412, 455, 457, 603 and 619 Sundays: New Sunday service will operate as a Pilot Program and will be evaluated over the coming months.

No. 48 will service Perth Amboy all day on Saturday and Sunday and Metropark all day on Sunday.

No. 73 will service Newark Penn Station all day on Saturday and Sunday.

No. 153 Weekdays: Service has been reinstated.

No. 139: Service will operate 24 hours a day on weekdays (similar to the weekends).

No. 159 Weekdays: New 159X (60th Street Express) service will operate from Fairview (Anderson and Park Avenues) to New York as a Pilot Program. This Program will be evaluated over the coming months.

No. 400 Daily: Select trips will begin or end at the Deptford Mall. Service on Woodbury-Turnersville Road between Black Horse Pike and Lakeland Road in Washington Township will be discontinued due to low ridership. Trips will operate via Lakeland Road to/from Elmwood Hills Healthcare Center.

Nos. 408 and 409 Daily: Service in Philadelphia will be adjusted to operate to and from the Greyhound Terminal on Filbert Street at 10th Street to improve service reliability and customer experience. Market Street, Broad Street and Vine Street are within a short walking distance of the Terminal. The bus stop on Race Street at 6th Street will continue to be served on all trips arriving in Philadelphia.

Nos. 603 and 613 Weekdays: Service to Bristol-Myers Squibb in Lawrence Township will be discontinued due to low ridership.

No. 605 Daily: In Princeton, the current detour route via Bayard Lane and Paul Robeson Place will become the regular route. Service on Witherspoon Street between Nassau Street and Paul Robeson Place will be permanently discontinued.

No. 608: In Ewing, daily service has been extended to the Trenton-Mercer Airport and Homefront Family Campus. On weekdays, service to the State Police Headquarters will be provided throughout the day on trips operating via River Road.

Nice catch!

For reference, here's the original article from NJT: https://www.njtransit.com/service-advisory/1339831

And apparently NJT is starting a blog: https://www.njtransit.com/firstrun

In any case, I'm glad to hear that NJT is still being pretty proactive in managing service (the Sunday service especially looks like a good idea). MTA could learn a thing or two from them...

I guess I can throw in a random comment dealing with the new 90 schedule since that's a line I usually catch

I'm surprised how many trips they are taking off because I sure didn't think that was a line with low ridership to the point that 5 weekday trips going towards Irvington and about 7 weekday trips going towards Newark are gone now.

And two Sunday morning trips are gone. I haven't noticed anything different with the Saturday schedule.

If anyone feels like comparing in case I missed anything then here are the links

https://d2g63oyneaimm8.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/bus_schedules/T0090.pdf

https://d2g63oyneaimm8.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/bus_schedules/upcoming/20210401/T0090.pdf

Nos. 26, 58, 115, 154, 412, 455, 457, 603 and 619 Sundays: New Sunday service will operate as a Pilot Program and will be evaluated over the coming months.

Long overdue on the #26.... For most folks, that #619 service'll just be another bus (as in, added #609 Sunday service)... It may take some time for folks to realize it on the #154.... Not sure about the necessity for it on the #58, #412, #457, & the #603... Don't think it'll be worth it for the #115 & the #455...

No. 48 will service Perth Amboy all day on Saturday and Sunday and Metropark all day on Sunday.

I didn't realize there was that stark a difference b/w Saturday & Sunday service on this route.... Anyway, while I think the expanded service to/from Perth Amboy will catch on instantly, I (still) don't think buses should be serving Metropark on weekends (or at the very least, near as many of them).... As far as Perth Amboy in-particular is concerned, I'd say that there's more latent demand for intrastate service (on the #48) than there is for actual demand for intrastate service (on the #116).... It is good that buses (#116's) start earlier on Sundays though....

...bonus points if they ever consider cutting back the #815 to Perth Amboy to have #48's from Perth Amboy on weekends running via Woodbridge Center (via Carteret).... That part of the #815 stunts the #48's potential IMO.... The few people that are even riding the #815 north of Perth Amboy, emanate from Perth Amboy !

No. 73 will service Newark Penn Station all day on Saturday and Sunday.

Alright, so you don't have the vast majority of trips running to/from Nwk-Penn on weekends.... That said, the thing I never really understood about this route is why it even ran (or continued to run) as far east as it did on weekends, when that patronage (west of the freeway) practically gets off around Galento Plaza & the rest of downtown Orange.... Folks got off in Orange to xfer for the #21 or the #24a/b over bothering riding the #73 to the end, to put up with the meandrous/indirect NJT #5 for points east/south (for obvious reasons... way more service).... What I'm getting at is, they wasted a crap ton of $$$ over the years on weekends running the thing to the Orange/Newark border...

The demand is there for expanded service into Newark on weekends & is one of those changes that'll catch on instantly.

No. 139: Service will operate 24 hours a day on weekdays (similar to the weekends).

While buses are in service/operation 24 hrs. a day, the span of service is (still) not 24 hrs. a day... Transit agencies mean the former, while the riding public expects the latter when that "24 hrs a day" term is thrown out there... That disconnect needs to be bridged by transit agencies when relaying such information to the public....

Aside from that, while I've taken that 4am trip on weekends from PABT on numerous occasions, I'm not sure what it would mean for weekday riders.... Same goes for adding that 2am trip leaving Lakewood... I find that the lion's share of those early morning inbound trips are of people xferring to #161's/190's (which neither start running towards Paterson 'til around 5:20-5:30).... It's that 4am trip leaving Lakewood (and subsequent trips into the morning) that garners the "typical" AM rush hour crowd seeking NYC that work in NYC....

No. 153 Weekdays: Service has been reinstated.

No. 159 Weekdays: New 159X (60th Street Express) service will operate from Fairview (Anderson and Park Avenues) to New York as a Pilot Program. This Program will be evaluated over the coming months.

Damn, I forgot the #153 was a thing..... Anyway, inbound #159x service is long overdue... Unpopular opinion incoming, but as an aside, I've always felt that there were too many inbound 159R trips in the morning... Hopefully those inbound #159x's pass the test (so to speak) & be kept around.

No. 400 Daily: Select trips will begin or end at the Deptford Mall. Service on Woodbury-Turnersville Road between Black Horse Pike and Lakeland Road in Washington Township will be discontinued due to low ridership. Trips will operate via Lakeland Road to/from Elmwood Hills Healthcare Center.

@checkmatechamp13 knows my sentiments about this route in general..... I'll profess it on the open forums here - the thing simply does too much... It's a workhorse & quite frankly, discontinuing the Grenloch portion of the route (south of the nursing home & that gov't building on Lakeland) aint enough AFAIC.... I'm not so sure this change makes a beneficial difference runtime-wise... smh...

Nos. 408 and 409 Daily: Service in Philadelphia will be adjusted to operate to and from the Greyhound Terminal on Filbert Street at 10th Street to improve service reliability and customer experience. Market Street, Broad Street and Vine Street are within a short walking distance of the Terminal. The bus stop on Race Street at 6th Street will continue to be served on all trips arriving in Philadelphia.

This is scary, because (although I never posted it on the open forums) one of my suggestions (it was more of a wish, but whatever 😄😁) for the #409 was to have it run out of the Greyhound terminal.... Come to think of it, Greyhound has been selling bus locations like crazy lately (albeit in the more smaller cities)..... I bring that tidbit up b/c I was wondering what lanes both routes would operate out of....

Regardless, shit done made my day; #409 is my overall favorite NJT route....

tumblr_mnqahwMbjo1s8hnhko1_500.gif

Nos. 603 and 613 Weekdays: Service to Bristol-Myers Squibb in Lawrence Township will be discontinued due to low ridership.

Some coincidence that I interviewed for Bristol Myers a couple mos. ago (albeit at the New Brunswick location).... Lady did mention "the Princeton location" though.... Never heard back from them f*ckers, so f*ck em... Lol..... Anyway, I couldn't fathom either of those two routes/variants remotely garnering enough usage enough to have it diverted to serve it....

No. 608: In Ewing, daily service has been extended to the Trenton-Mercer Airport and Homefront Family Campus. On weekdays, service to the State Police Headquarters will be provided throughout the day on trips operating via River Road.

Beats the hell out of where it currently terminates at..... $10 bucks though says, later on down the line (no pun intended), buses are going to eventually get extended to that hospital just on the other side of 295..... Aside from the fact that service on the #624 isn't all that great, it doesn't serve that side of Hopewell Twp....

I notice when you go to the schedules page (where you scroll down to look at the PDF of the route you're interested in), these routes mentioned still say "Weekdays & Saturdays". Anyway....

On 4/2/2021 at 9:55 PM, B35 via Church said:

Long overdue on the #26.... For most folks, that #619 service'll just be another bus (as in, added #609 Sunday service)... It may take some time for folks to realize it on the #154.... Not sure about the necessity for it on the #58, #412, #457, & the #603... Don't think it'll be worth it for the #115 & the #455...

Since unfortunately, I can't access a lot of these schedules in the Wayback machine, I'll ask this:

I notice the last round-trip (and the first two eastbound trips towards Quaker Bridge Mall) are #619 trips. Were those previously #609 trips, or were they new trips added? (In other words, did riders in the "core" area of these routes see a span extension in addition to better frequency?)

For the #58, the Elizabeth NJT station - Bayway portion is pretty strong, with a decent amount of people coming from the projects at the southern end. The Roselle - Elizabeth NJT portion is also reasonably strong. The Kennilworth portion is sort of just tagging along for the ride.

For the #603, it looks rather sporadic, as if there there were some shift changes or something that was making the #613 crowded during specific timeframes, so they added some #603 trips rather than adding extra #613 trips. 

I didn't realize there was that stark a difference b/w Saturday & Sunday service on this route.... Anyway, while I think the expanded service to/from Perth Amboy will catch on instantly, I (still) don't think buses should be serving Metropark on weekends (or at the very least, near as many of them).... As far as Perth Amboy in-particular is concerned, I'd say that there's more latent demand for intrastate service (on the #48) than there is for actual demand for intrastate service (on the #116).... It is good that buses (#116's) start earlier on Sundays though....

What time did they used to start on Sundays? Did they basically just add one extra round-trip?

...bonus points if they ever consider cutting back the #815 to Perth Amboy to have #48's from Perth Amboy on weekends running via Woodbridge Center (via Carteret).... That part of the #815 stunts the #48's potential IMO.... The few people that are even riding the #815 north of Perth Amboy, emanate from Perth Amboy !

More bonus points if they take the Perth Amboy - Woodbridge Center portion and extend it out to Plainfield. ;) 

While buses are in service/operation 24 hrs. a day, the span of service is (still) not 24 hrs. a day... Transit agencies mean the former, while the riding public expects the latter when that "24 hrs a day" term is thrown out there... That disconnect needs to be bridged by transit agencies when relaying such information to the public....

Aside from that, while I've taken that 4am trip on weekends from PABT on numerous occasions, I'm not sure what it would mean for weekday riders.... Same goes for adding that 2am trip leaving Lakewood... I find that the lion's share of those early morning inbound trips are of people xferring to #161's/190's (which neither start running towards Paterson 'til around 5:20-5:30).... It's that 4am trip leaving Lakewood (and subsequent trips into the morning) that garners the "typical" AM rush hour crowd seeking NYC that work in NYC....

I think it's reasonable to call the service they're adding to the #139 enough to call it 24/7 service. There's about a 75 minute gap inbound, and a 90 minute gap outbound (and you have some routes with those as daytime headways).

Those people transferring to the #161/190, are they looking to go to Union City, or points beyond that (in other words, should those overnight trips just get off the highway and make the Union City stops?)

Damn, I forgot the #153 was a thing..... Anyway, inbound #159x service is long overdue... Unpopular opinion incoming, but as an aside, I've always felt that there were too many inbound 159R trips in the morning... Hopefully those inbound #159x's pass the test (so to speak) & be kept around.

Those #159X trips, do they run up JFK Blvd East?

Beats the hell out of where it currently terminates at..... $10 bucks though says, later on down the line (no pun intended), buses are going to eventually get extended to that hospital just on the other side of 295..... Aside from the fact that service on the #624 isn't all that great, it doesn't serve that side of Hopewell Twp....

I'm surprised they didn't extend it in one shot. I mean it says Capital Health...makes sense that some of the patients and employees would be coming from Trenton...but in any case, like you said, at least they extended it as far as they did.

16 minutes ago, checkmatechamp13 said:

I notice when you go to the schedules page (where you scroll down to look at the PDF of the route you're interested in), these routes mentioned still say "Weekdays & Saturdays". Anyway....

Since unfortunately, I can't access a lot of these schedules in the Wayback machine, I'll ask this:

I notice the last round-trip (and the first two eastbound trips towards Quaker Bridge Mall) are #619 trips. Were those previously #609 trips, or were they new trips added? (In other words, did riders in the "core" area of these routes see a span extension in addition to better frequency?)

For the #58, the Elizabeth NJT station - Bayway portion is pretty strong, with a decent amount of people coming from the projects at the southern end. The Roselle - Elizabeth NJT portion is also reasonably strong. The Kennilworth portion is sort of just tagging along for the ride.

For the #603, it looks rather sporadic, as if there there were some shift changes or something that was making the #613 crowded during specific timeframes, so they added some #603 trips rather than adding extra #613 trips. 

- These days, I'd say the Bayway - Midtown Elizabeth portion of the thing (#58) is keeping that thing alive on weekdays.... Quite honestly, that's the only portion of the route I'd feel comfortable operating on Sundays..... Roselle - Midtown Elizabeth carries way too much air on Saturdays, so I can't imagine it doing any better on Sundays.... Not just for Sunday service, but overall, I would have the #57 running 7 days a week instead, covering that part of the #58 in question, as well as parts of the #112 up to North Elizabeth.... The #58 b/w Roselle - Midtown Elizabeth, at best, I would relegate to a weekday only service, have the aforementioned happen....

- Couldn't tell you what the deal is/was with the #603.

- #609 goes to the mall, #619 goes to the college.... Anyway, to answer your question (upon looking at the schedule here), they got a frequency increase and a span expansion on Sundays.... Hell, Saturdays also, now that I look at it - because weekend service did not start at 5am... Interesting.... Good for those folks though.

What time did they used to start on Sundays? Did they basically just add one extra round-trip?

9:15 out of PABT, so 2 extra trips.... Served as a deterrent for me in wanting to 'fan that route on Sunday.

More bonus points if they take the Perth Amboy - Woodbridge Center portion and extend it out to Plainfield. ;) 

Shameless plug (and I'm not even the one making it... LMAO 😆😁).... I suppose I should make a serious push in proposing the idea to NJT, since they're being proactive with reallocating service right now & all...

I think it's reasonable to call the service they're adding to the #139 enough to call it 24/7 service. There's about a 75 minute gap inbound, and a 90 minute gap outbound (and you have some routes with those as daytime headways).

Although it's not something I'm all up in arms about, per se (dubbing the #139 as a 24/7 service), this sentiment of yours bolsters my sentiment.... Daytime headways of the sort being given to certain routes are significant & atrocious, and are not all that permissible to the riders that use those routes.... In other words, if I wouldn't be quick to excuse having routes operate on headways of the sort, I can't nullify/excuse the numerical equal gap in service & dub it as reasonably being a 24/7 route - even if a [minuscule amt. of ppl.] to [literally nobody] would stand to benefit from #139 service if there was a trip in each direction that would close that gap, to where it would be literal/actual 24/7 service.....

Those people transferring to the #161/190, are they looking to go to Union City, or points beyond that (in other words, should those overnight trips just get off the highway and make the Union City stops?)

Those #139 riders in question (which very much appear to me to be shift workers) are definitely looking for service past Union City on either of those routes; that disembarking at Union City in general happens a little later on; I'd say around 6:15-30 am or so.....

While it would save money for those folks, I still wouldn't have #139's stopping in Union City in any capacity.... Maybe dole out special free xfers that would knock off up to like 4 zones (instead of just the 1 zone the regular xfers knock off from the fare) during the overnight hrs. instead....

Those #159X trips, do they run up JFK Blvd East?

Yup.... They turn off Blvd East at 60th.

Truth be told, I was disappointed that schedules weren’t adjusted (especially on the buses along Route 3) to make sure we aren’t running hot.  With no more traffic on the roads, it’s a PITA to try and keep schedule without running ultra hot

455 and 457 now offering Sunday bus service as a pilot program is a big deal.... for decades those 2 routes never ran in Cherry Hill/Haddonfield to the PATCO station on Sundays

455 only had one bus running between Deptford Mall and Paulsboro on Sundays

Also, its not even summer but the 319 has added trips SB to AC Fridays only and Sunday NB trips.

https://d2g63oyneaimm8.cloudfront.net/sites/default/files/bus_schedules/T0319.pdf