Bus Operator Cell Phone/Points Issue

Moluv12345

I got a cellphone ticket last year. Fighting it with a lawyer. Date keeps getting post posed. Transit called me 2 weeks ago and I told them about the ticket. She said no more than 5 points on your license. When I checked the forum some people were saying no more than 4 points. I was thinking about taking the 5 point hit so that I can get the job if you can't have more the 5 points. My new court date is March of next year inwhich my ticket will be 2 years old. Transit considers that a pending ticket even though I have not been found guilty. I was told it will not show on my driver's abstract but I'm not going to lie and risk getting fired later. Been trying to reach transit again to verify about the 5 points and I can't get through. Can someone post a contact number? I'm set for a callback or I can call once the ticket is settled 

Do not forget the defensive driving class that takes up to four points of your license. If you have a lawyer ask when it is better to take the class: now or later, in case, you are not successful fighting the ticket. If the State considers taking a course worth taking 4 points off your record, I hope MTA will apply the same philosophy, but you may want to ask them.

I would say definitely speak with your lawyer and share your concerns with him/her before contacting MTA HR to disclose any information that could potentially have a negative effect on your hiring prospects.

Edited by R10 2952

• +Young+ changed the title to Bus Operator Cell Phone/Points Issue
On 8/20/2021 at 5:57 PM, TomaszSBklyn said:

Do not forget the defensive driving class that takes up to four points of your license. If you have a lawyer ask when it is better to take the class: now or later, in case, you are not successful fighting the ticket. If the State considers taking a course worth taking 4 points off your record, I hope MTA will apply the same philosophy, but you may want to ask them.

First of all, from the perspective of the MTA, those defensive driving classes do not count towards point reduction. You will simply have to wait it out.

On 8/20/2021 at 5:10 PM, SevenEleven said:

It has historically been no more than 4 points but it may have changed due to COVID. Keep trying to get in contact for confirmation.  @+Young+ can probably give you some contacts to try.

Have you considered reaching out to the "higher ups," whose contact information can be viewed here? Hopefully you'll get in contact with one of these folks.

On 8/20/2021 at 2:44 PM, Moluv12345 said:

... My new court date is March of next year in which my ticket will be 2 years old...

Offhand, do you know the four-digit number of the examination you took? The reason why I ask is because a list is good for four [4] calendar years. Therefore, depending on when the ticket was issued, you might be able to restore your name to the list. As an example: I got into a motor vehicle accident in June of 2014. Although the accident did not come off my physical abstract until the end of the calendar year, starting in July of 2017, nobody could use that accident against me, since it was over three [3] years old.

Finally, as you can tell, I moved your topic/thread to the Employment section of the website. This way, others who have more knowledge about this can also contribute to the thread/topic as well.

• 2 months later...

Is it theoretically possible if a ticket worth 5-6 points is pending for 3 years that you could still get hired by MTA? As in... the ticket is not on your abstract and you have a lawyer keep pushing the court date back further and further to the point where it doesn't count against you anyway? I mean I have a pending speeding ticket that would disqualify me from the job but my court date isn't till later in 2022, and I'm not sure if I'll have the opportunity to be called from my list again. Is it worth the risk?

On 11/18/2021 at 11:53 PM, PyroMancer82 said:

Is it theoretically possible if a ticket worth 5-6 points is pending for 3 years that you could still get hired by MTA? As in... the ticket is not on your abstract and you have a lawyer keep pushing the court date back further and further to the point where it doesn't count against you anyway? I mean I have a pending speeding ticket that would disqualify me from the job but my court date isn't till later in 2022, and I'm not sure if I'll have the opportunity to be called from my list again. Is it worth the risk?

Negative. They want no pending tickets when you go through pre-employment. They will tell you to take care of it beforehand.