Frequent dreams/nightmares about NYC subway?

henery99

Does anyone else here have dreams/nightmares that take place in the NY subway? Up until recently I'd been living in NYC all my life and would take the subway all the time. So much so that it's made its way into my dreams. I've always had dreams about the subway throughout my life, but they became more frequent when I was a teenager. Usually they take place in stations that don't exist in real life. And if the stations do exist, there's always something off about them. The trains in my dreams are almost always the older train models with the big letter/number at the front, never the newer ones. Sometimes the trains go to weird places way outside the city, such as Upstate New York, Connecticut, and even Greece in one dream I remember. Whenever I have these dreams, they always give me a bad feeling; it's never a happy dream, and I always want to wake up if I realize it is one. It doesn't exactly feel like a nightmare, but I'm scared of having one, if that makes any sense. Perhaps my subway dreams are disturbing to me because it's not set in the actual New York subway; it is an imaginary subway system that exists only in my subconscious mind. Now that I no longer live in NYC I hope I will eventually stop having these dreams, but something tells me that I'll have to deal with them for the rest of my life.

Welcome to the forum. And no, Most of us on here don't have frequent dreams (or nightmares especially) of the subway. This is kind of a throwback to this thread created a few years ago.

Similar to the first reply on that thread, I will also say seeking help might be advisable. Those recurring nightmares and constant fears about your dreams sound like a deeper problem affecting you specifically. Not sure what it is, I'm no professional at this (as is most of the forum, I'm guessing).  

Edited by NoHacksJustKhaks

Yes, as an side effect of a medication I take, I dream damn near nightly. The nightmares usually involve elevated stations, as I always felt uneasy on Elevated stations, but I'm fine when I'm on the train itself. But I have dreams/nightmares about all kinds of things, not just transit.

Most of them I can't remember, but one that sticks out the most is the Williamsburg bridge was converted to a water slide OVER the east river rather than into it. 

Edited by trainfan22

Ihave dreams about working different places, usually from the past (like MET and the BMT South), sometimes not (like the (6) line has come up quite a few times over the years for some reason) and usually like heading into work. One recurring set of dreams was about my job before Transit, and taking the trains around there. 

I had a nightmare I was operating in Westchester Yard and I had to take the train (R142) up the lead to the home signal and change ends. When I dumped and started walking to the rear the train's parking brake did not apply when it dumped and I was rolling back fast and when I reached the conductors position the train had a pull apart and the other half smashed into a republic diesel, then I woke up...

2 hours ago, Eric B said:

Ihave dreams about working different places, usually from the past (like MET and the BMT South), sometimes not (like the (6) line has come up quite a few times over the years for some reason) and usually like heading into work. One recurring set of dreams was about my job before Transit, and taking the trains around there. 

I have the classic ones about putting on brakes and nothing happening, etc. Oddly one of the traumatic events that happened irl never entered my dreams. Sure there's some psychological reason for that.

I seem to recall a lot of threads in Subchat and the old SubTalk message board about posters' subway dreams. I remember sharing one I had where I saw R62A trains randomly parked in Corona Yard signed up as (7) and (11) trains, but only in single and double cars. This was right around the time Transit made the decision to move R62As from the (3) and (6) lines to the (7), so maybe 2002-03.