Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
mark1447

Rolling Stock numbers "R"

How come the MTA has to skip numbers between new fleet, like R142, 143, 160, 179, 188 and so

and how does people know what new rolling stock number will appear, I heard R200, dunno if thats a lye

Also are we gonna use the "R" for ever, meaning see a fleet numbered R5628908 or sumin lol

curious a bit

How come the MTA has to skip numbers between new fleet, like R142, 143, 160, 179, 188 and so

and how does people know what new rolling stock number will appear, I heard R200, dunno if thats a lye

Also are we gonna use the "R" for ever, meaning see a fleet numbered R5628908 or sumin lol

curious a bit

There's no R-200....idk where you heard that from. Whatever new subway car comes out it will always be "R" and the number

R stands for Revenue, doesn't mean all "R" orders are for rolling stock doesn't mean all of the rolling stock is used in revenue service, but that's what it stands for...

There's no R-200....idk where you heard that from. Whatever new subway car comes out it will always be "R" and the number

I saw one of N trizzy post say that 0_0

so im guessing R will be used even passed R1000?

I saw one of N trizzy post say that 0_0

so im guessing R will be used even passed R1000?

N-Trizzy was making a non-fictional R-200 for his book he's writing and 2nd we already have R-1000's hince some of the numbers on the R-142's on the (4)....unless you mean R-10000's which I highly doubt it will go that far up, but (MTA) will continue using the "R"!

Edited by via White Plains Road
Missing some info

R### format will be used till it makes sense to use something else, or someone things it should be changed & is successful.

- A

There's an almost complete list of what the various "gaps" are here.

Yes but we dunno if there is more "R" after, i wonder why the MTA left a gap between the fleets

It's contract numbers Mark. That's why there is gap between revenue fleet and non-revenue equipment.

Yes but we dunno if there is more "R" after, i wonder why the MTA left a gap between the fleets

The gaps lower down are just because no reliable source has e-mailed Joe Korman about what those are/were yet. Be patient -- they'll come!

curious a bit

Work diesels + other work equipment uses the "R" insignia as well. Also its about contract #s. Thats why the subway cars skip numbers

R, as I feel means Revision, by the way it is my guess, it may not be right...

No.

R supposedly means Rapid Transit or Rail. It is the prefix for all contracts for any equipment (incl. subway cars) on the subway.

I don't think the meaning of "R" is important. It's just a code for a train model. But I don't think they'll ever have to go past R1000...don't think the world will exist that long...

R = Revenue. Not Rapid Transit or Rail.

Many contracts are not revenue related. And the R part refers to the Rapid Transit division. Bus contracts have a different suffix I believe. I believe this was settled in some other thread.