MTA Bus Company B/O Exams - No Fee to Apply!! (Open Until Further Notice)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+,

As a friendly reminder, when you submit your online application, you must have either your Class B CDL (Commercial Driver License) or your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner Permit) with the Passenger "P" endorsement. They will run your abstract prior to you reporting for pre-employment. Therefore, as long as you have your temporary, or paper permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles, you will be fine.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement. If you would like and/or need more information into obtaining your Commercial Driver's License (CDL), click here.

When you are ready to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, click here to make a reservation for yourself.

Good luck!!

(Updated 3/19/2024)

2 hours ago, Manski said:

If you applied for both exams, will they give you the option to pick which division you want to work in?

Good question I would like to know too since I made the mistake of filing for both. I would rather get called for Bus Company. I’m just keeping my fingers crossed for bus company to call first. 

10 hours ago, Manski said:

If you applied for both exams, will they give you the option to pick which division you want to work in?

It is whichever calls you first. If get called up for one exam the other could pull you up as well if it is for another division. Your time served in the earlier exam upon hiring would count toward your probationary period so it's all about getting your foot in the door.

9 hours ago, Manski said:

Wow they must be short on drivers, I don’t recall them moving that fast from applying to test and processing in a month!

They are - if you carefully examine this webpage, there is a reason why the words "until filled" are used three different times.

On 8/11/2023 at 2:05 PM, Manski said:

If you get called by both agencies you need to fill out the processing paperwork for each agency and do separate drug tests and Medicals. 

I went to processing for mabstoa on Friday, and did processing for Bus company this morning. 
I was told by the person processing my application that he would advise me to get into mabstoa over Bus company because the pension is a lot better and a lot of bus company operators are transferring to mabstoa for the pension and because it’s overall a better job. 
im trying to get into bus company because I want to work the express buses in the Bronx or Yonkers depots. I am aware they will most likely send me to queens first, but I know I can eventually transfer over to the Bronx after working for a while as that’s where I’m currently living and I would prefer to move to westchester county over queens or even Staten Island if i take the NYCT job. 
I was given a number to call regarding the pension differences and they explained that they cannot help me or give any information as I’m not an employee yet and I would have to accept both jobs and sit through the first day where the pension would be explained. Does anybody have any info on what the difference is between the two pensions are? I would assume that it’s not going to be too much of a difference. I just don’t want to make the wrong decision when the time comes. 

16 hours ago, yan87 said:

Hey there i took the exam 4104 too by any chance have they called you for medical ? If so how long did it take for u to get a call back for medical 

My list number is under 10 I’m sure they called a certain amount of people from each exam. Like 1-50 1-100 idk really

17 hours ago, DEE123 said:

I cleared medical. They assigned me to JFK I feel relieved. Very bittersweet. 

Nice! You must be one of those slim guys, I’m a bigger guy so I might take a little longer to clear medical, hope they call me down soon.

1 hour ago, Manski said:

Nice! You must be one of those slim guys, I’m a bigger guy so I might take a little longer to clear medical, hope they call me down soon.

I’m obese, but my neck was 15 inches and I didn’t have any symptoms that suggested I have apnea. Everything else went well. 

4 hours ago, Manski said:

Another word of advice that I haven’t seen anyone else talk about is you shouldn’t go into the medical appointment with sugary drinks in your system, because they’re going to take an A1C reading from your urine and it cannot be over a certain threshold. Some people drank a 32 oz bottle of orange juice with their breakfast, or had a donut while waiting to be seen by the doctor, and urinated straight sugar into the cup even though they didn’t have diabetes or anything really wrong with them. This caused at least 5 people to be put on medical hold.
Luckily I inadvertently came in 20 hours fasted and didn’t have any sugar 48 hours before, up until that point and all I had was an unsweetened tea that morning, so My A1C was about 5. The Nurse instantly told me it was excellent reading after the test strip was taken away from the cup. 
 also I wouldn’t recommend drinking coffee that morning, and keeping your mind away from anything stressful as it will speed your heart rate, and you’re gonna have your blood pressure and an EKG taken. 

20 hours ago, lornaevo said:

Maybe I’ll see you on the Q8 or Q10. I ride those lines often. 

I look forward to seeing you. 
I have a question and I think you can help me the best. But I was given the instructions on the type of pants and shoes to buy for day one and the shoe is oil resistant and has other criteria. Can you give a couple of brand and models that I can purchase that I would be able to wear to the depot? I was at Livingston and forgot to ask the B/O supervisors that were already there in uniform. 

3 hours ago, DEE123 said:

I look forward to seeing you. 
I have a question and I think you can help me the best. But I was given the instructions on the type of pants and shoes to buy for day one and the shoe is oil resistant and has other criteria. Can you give a couple of brand and models that I can purchase that I would be able to wear to the depot? I was at Livingston and forgot to ask the B/O supervisors that were already there in uniform. 

I went down to famous footwear and bought the cheapest non slip boots I could find. I ended up wearing them for my first 1.5 years on the job. And I bought a $10 watch from rite aid. Nothing fancy. My pm is always open. 

4 hours ago, DEE123 said:

Another word of advice that I haven’t seen anyone else talk about is you shouldn’t go into the medical appointment with sugary drinks in your system, because they’re going to take an A1C reading from your urine and it cannot be over a certain threshold. Some people drank a 32 oz bottle of orange juice with their breakfast, or had a donut while waiting to be seen by the doctor, and urinated straight sugar into the cup even though they didn’t have diabetes or anything really wrong with them. This caused at least 5 people to be put on medical hold.
Luckily I inadvertently came in 20 hours fasted and didn’t have any sugar 48 hours before, up until that point and all I had was an unsweetened tea that morning, so My A1C was about 5. The Nurse instantly told me it was excellent reading after the test strip was taken away from the cup. 
 also I wouldn’t recommend drinking coffee that morning, and keeping your mind away from anything stressful as it will speed your heart rate, and you’re gonna have your blood pressure and an EKG taken. 

The A1C is a blood test. Are they drawing blood or just having people pee in a cup? If you have elevated sugar in your urine you may have uncontrolled diabetes that’s why people are getting jammed up.