East Side Access and Penn Station Access

Jamall Hayden

9 hours ago, xD4nn said:

That was the map from the satire news company...

2 hours ago, 46Dover said:

Now that’s disappointing.  That it even made it to publication for all the world to see is disgusting 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penn_Station_Access

According to this, (and before any of you say wiki isn’t a reliable source, this has tons of references), Penn Access Phase 2 is part of Penn Access.

I don't see how they build an 125th Street station on the Empire Line. At 125th, the Amtrak ROW is cramped tightly between the highway and buildings, the BBQ restaurant might have to be torn down. Not to a fan of tearing stuff down to build an station that will likely have low ridership. 

Also I would imagine there would only be one platform, IIRC there's literally no space between the highway and the Amtrak tracks.

Also can't see those Upper West Side residents co signing construction and disruption to their quiet residential neighborhood for the UWS stations.

I'm pro Hudson Line penn access but not the extra stations, all of them seem like a nightmare to build given how the ROW is setup.

Edited by trainfan22

3 minutes ago, trainfan22 said:

I don't see how they build an 125th Street station on the Empire Line. At 125th, the Amtrak ROW is cramped tightly between the highway and buildings, the BBQ restaurant might have to be torn down. Not to a fan of tearing stuff down to build an station that will likely have low ridership. 

Also I would imagine there would only be one platform, IIRC there's literally no space between the highway and the Amtrak tracks.

Also can't see those Upper West Side residents co signing construction and disruption to their quiet residential neighborhood for the UWS stations.

I'm pro Hudson Line penn access but not the extra stations, all of them seem like a nightmare to build given how the ROW is setup.

Respectfully, I could give two R32’s on the (4) line about any complaining for construction. This is to benefit everyone with access to Penn from the West Side, and quite frankly I’m getting tired of the constant excuse “we can’t make this line better because residents will complain about construction noise”.

One of the biggest issues I’ve had is the main NYC-bound transportation in westchester only goes to Grand Central. Penn Access should have been something built and constructed a long time ago, including reactivating Port Morris to allow Harlem to access Penn as well.

12 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

Respectfully, I could give two R32’s on the (4) line about any complaining for construction. This is to benefit everyone with access to Penn from the West Side, and quite frankly I’m getting tired of the constant excuse “we can’t make this line better because residents will complain about construction noise”.

One of the biggest issues I’ve had is the main NYC-bound transportation in westchester only goes to Grand Central. Penn Access should have been something built and constructed a long time ago, including reactivating Port Morris to allow Harlem to access Penn as well.

Or you fail to understand how infrastructure works? Not everything is possible. The Wikipedia link you provided is wrong and the "proposal" never went through. You also fail to realize Harlem can't access penn either. Tell me, how are M7As supposed to get into penn if they don't have any overheard wires and can't support overrunning third rail? Think before you speak...

27 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

Or you fail to understand how infrastructure works? Not everything is possible. The Wikipedia link you provided is wrong and the "proposal" never went through. You also fail to realize Harlem can't access penn either. Tell me, how are M7As supposed to get into penn if they don't have any overheard wires and can't support overrunning third rail? Think before you speak...

You’ve heard of M8’s, no?

47 minutes ago, Lawrence St said:

You’ve heard of M8’s, no?

You fail to understand that there aren't enough M8s for that. Have you considered any obstacles or do you think this project can easily done like any railfan's dream?

Edited by xD4nn

2 minutes ago, xD4nn said:

You fail to understand that there aren't enough M8s for that. Have you considered any obstacles or do you think this project can easily done like any railfan's dream?

Even if they were enough wouldn’t we have to get over head wires for the Harlem line on top of that 

I'm just going to add this right here. CT ordered new passenger cars and the MTA ordered new engines, so once they start rolling in there will be equipment freed up to use for Hudson West. As for the line itself other than interest I don't think there's any funding set aside for it. However, there is a lot of commotion in the Amtrak forum land because Amtrak went ahead and ordered train sets that can run on battery-electric power in order to avoid having to electrify the line. Do with that information as you wish.

• 1 month later...

I was looking at the PSA phase 2 plans in the 20 year needs assessment and noticed that they dropped the station at 62nd but kept the one at 125th. They still seem supportive of the project, but it's disappointing that they dropped a station considering the walk from the far west side to 8th Av.

The 125th stop is centered around 125th at St. Clair Place, but I'm not sure how they can fit it in. I would have thought 145th would be an easier place to put a stop given that it's next to parkland and it's the closest the ROW gets to any station on the (1) for a transfer.

Perhaps they could build a stop around 50th or 57th using one of the sidings there?