MLB hotstove and off season news 2008-09

Shortline Bus

Anybody hear about the new Joe Torre book coming out in early Febuary? He calls A-Rod an "A-Fraud" and Derek Jeter 'not a leader' who more intrested in dating models and Hollywood stars than his baseball carrer in recent years.

Torre also called former boss GM Brain Cashman in book indirectly a 'snitch' during the failed contract talks following the 2007 season.

Is this valid points or Joe having 'sour grapes?"

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody hear about the new Joe Torre book coming out in early Febuary? He calls A-Rod an "A-Fraud" and Derek Jeter 'not a leader' who more intrested in dating models and Hollywood stars than his baseball carrer in recent years.

Torre also called former boss GM Brain Cashman in book indirectly a 'snitch' during the failed contract talks following the 2007 season.

Is this valid points or Joe having 'sour grapes?"

Joe might be lying to get back at the team that gave him the paycut.

Besides, Andy is back, 5.5 million guranteed and 12 million possible if he meets the standards.

joe airs some of his dirty laundry to a writer who quotes him and then runs with it, that's all this is...no surprise there...even less of a surprise the media blew it all up b/c after all what do they want you to do but buy the book and read it since its "so controversial"

my money stays with me for this one...not worth the price of admission as they say...and im a Yankee fan, I just don't feel like reading a book that dumps all over some of the best Yankee teams I've seen play...

joe airs some of his dirty laundry to a writer who quotes him and then runs with it, that's all this is...no surprise there...even less of a surprise the media blew it all up b/c after all what do they want you to do but buy the book and read it since its "so controversial"

my money stays with me for this one...not worth the price of admission as they say...and im a Yankee fan, I just don't feel like reading a book that dumps all over some of the best Yankee teams I've seen play...

The Joe Torre book has even took publicty and media attention from the Steelers-Cards super bowl(i still can't believe i am typing the Arizona Cards in the NFL title game lol but that another discussion)

Torre either tonight (1/29/08)or tommorow(1/30/09)barring no big news event will be the featured guest on CNN's Larry King Show.

Shifting gears. Will the Mets or Yanks finally get Manny? IMO Manny holdout this close to start of spring trainning show he is really a selffsh 'me only' player. Also the MLB Players union is clueless during this ecomony crisis to yell collusion.

The LA Times reported this morning (2-3-09)that the Dodgers offered Ramierz a 1-year $25 Million contract. The $25 Million would have made the second high player on yearly basis in MLB after only A-Rod.

Yet Manny's agent Scott Buruis and MLB Players Union Boss Don Fehr are suggesting a possible collusion by MLB Owners.

Collusion has happened by MLB before in 1990-91 off season, by team owners which started the civil war and the devasting 1994-95 Players strike.

Collusion in case no one knows is that an agreement by all teams in baseball not to offer any huge increase in pay to players to control salries.

Fehr, Boras and Manny dont understand in the real world, America and most of the planet in middle of worse recession in many years. With that said, will the Yanks or Mets might still get Manny?

WTF, is Manny's problem. He rejected the offer. We're going through an economic crisis, and you're not gonna get anything better than that. Maybe once you sign you can get an extension and realiaze you're aging.

Perfectly said. IMO that why even the Yanks who normally love controversial players like Manny going back to days of Reggie Jackson did not get this guy.

The Mets IMO really could use him, if he prices came down to earth. IMO the perfect guy to get Mets to at least the playoffs.

For those of you that don't care, Eddie Guardado re=signed with the Rangers. I am very happy as he was a fan favorite here and one of the best bullpen pitchers that we have had in the Texas Rangers system in the past few years.

The Rangers are not far away from being a playoff contender. Their offense lead by Josh Hamilton is one of best in baseball.

If they could get 1-2 more good starters they be a really playoff threat.

Some of the pre spring training media outlets and magazines like ESPN, Baseball America, etc predict the Rangers to be 2009's 'suprise' (aka the Tampa Bay Rays)team.

And if Skipper Ron Washington gets off to a bad start, he probably going to be fired.

Hope this make you happy Texas Dart.:cool:

I am not surpised of this allegation. Now when he gets to 700 Homers the allegations of steriod will be as big or bigger than when Bonds broke the record.

Guys remember A-Rod is accused of failing his 'steriods' test from 2003, the first year of league wide testing when he was a member of the Texas Rangers.

The primary source that broke this story is Sports Illustarted.

Guest Charles

It's just so sad these days with all the steriods...

When Ken Griffey Jr. retires from baseball, I think he should be inducted into the Hall of Fame.

Even if he doesn't win a World Series, [so far..heh heh...] he has been a clean athlete and hasn't tested positive for any steriods.

He's an often over-looked star, possibly because he played for subpar teams.

Guest Charles

It's not a good time to be Alex Rodriguez right now...

first the anemic playoff hits...

then the rocky relationship with fans...

Joe Torre's book...

and now this.

Ouch.

Right before the WBC and Spring Training.

this will make Barry Bonds a angel now....anyway why these so call baseball player need to use steroids in the first place?

Its not baseball players who's using steriods....I'm sure football players are using them also, but may not have gotten caught yet.....wrestlers are using steroids also and weightlifters are using them as well. I think the reason they using steroids it get more muscles, make them stronger and faster, but ppl still don't get the hidden dangers of steroid useage!

Its not baseball players who's using steriods....I'm sure football players are using them also, but may not have gotten caught yet.....wrestlers are using steroids also and weightlifters are using them as well. I think the reason they using steroids it get more muscles, make them stronger and faster, but ppl still don't get the hidden dangers of steroid useage!

NFL players have been 'accused' and 'busted' before for steriod use. However in most cases, it not 'stars' in the NFL that get caught ie Peyton Manning, Brady, etc. It's usually offensive lineman and defensive players that usually get caught or get accused.

I do think (IMO)that most people working in mainstream media especially sports writers and TV Commenators are doing a double standard. If a NFL Player get accused or caught it no big deal. However if a MLB players does the same especially a 'star' player like A-Rod it front page news.

Just shows how TV bosses like Rupert Murdock (Fox) NBC, ESPN and CBS looks the other way on steriod usage in NFL because they make hundred of millions yearly in profits for the TV Networks.

At least, A-Rod is honest about using steroids. He came out clean today. He was lying during the 60 Minutes interview ywo years ago. The "Lie To Me" guy could even tell he was lying during that interview. At least, he confessed.

he had have to confess anyway...especially when this test suppose to be top secret...and he will be stupid for him say ''I didn't use it back in 2003''

Guest Charles

The thing that's been bugging me:

Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steriods in 2003. That was his MVP year, won the Home-Run Challenge at the All-Star game, etc.

But he actually had better numbers in 2002. More HRs, RBIs, and a slugging percentage. Better numbers all over the field, offensively and defensively. So my question is:

1) Did he start taking it in 2002 and test positive one year later? Or

2) Was this just by chance...

:confused::confused::confused:

MLB is going to face some long days ahead...

The thing that's been bugging me:

Alex Rodriguez tested positive for steriods in 2003. That was his MVP year, won the Home-Run Challenge at the All-Star game, etc.

But he actually had better numbers in 2002. More HRs, RBIs, and a slugging percentage. Better numbers all over the field, offensively and defensively. So my question is:

1) Did he start taking it in 2002 and test positive one year later? Or

2) Was this just by chance...

:confused::confused::confused:

MLB is going to face some long days ahead...

He took steroids for three years, 2001-03. Apparently he's been clean with the Yankees, however.

Archived