South Ferry Terminal Worksite Tour

MTR Admiralty

So yesterday around 17:00 I was down at South Ferry and decided to see what's up with the site. So I went around from the ferry terminal to Peter Minuit and saw that the entrance to the worksite was opened. So I decided to go inside.

Now, the station entrance there is a canopy style entrance. It is similar in design to the one they just installed at Bowling Green. It lacks signage and the glass panels. The lift is in place and they need the signage. Apparently the entrance and the lift are a bit higher off ground. So there are stairs near the lift entrance and stairs at the front of the entrance. There is a ramp being installed that will connect to the lift. The entrance contains escalators down to the mezzanine. There are already lights inside the station, as I could see from above. A construction worker came out and was not suspicious of my presence. So to lessen the suspicion I decided to ask him when it will be completed. So he said, January. He added that it is his opinion, though. There is a heap of debris and scrap metal near the lift as well as a pile of cement blocks.

There is some structure being built on the plaza. I do not know what it is. It is taller than the lift structure and it has a concrete skeleton.

At Battery Park, there is another entrance. It is not as grand as the one described earlier and it is still off limits. It has escalators to another mezzanine, I believe.

I took pictures with my cellular phone. I will upload them soon.

Hey, MTR nice to see ya again! I got December-19th from 3 different MTA employees. I am not sure if that is correct but as I know it is either December - 19th or 21st... Well, I also saw the new tunnel but didn't went into the new station or enterance, only old one...

I doubt it will open on a Friday. I would say the 21st. Many BIG projects open on a Sunday. For example, in December 2001, on one Sunday, the 63rd St Connector began service. In July 2001, it was on a Sunday when the (:D(D)(Q6) became the (Q)<Q>(W). I believe it was on a Sunday when the (F)(N)(Q) stopped going to Coney Island because of the construction. It was on a Sunday when the (1) returned to South Ferry in September 2002. However, I could guarantee you this: Between now till the week of 19/12/2008 the train crew will be getting the official date of opening. And that the MTA will publicly announce it. I also believe the MTA is making brochures that will introduce to the public about the new station. That's my guess.

I saw the new tunnel yesterday thru the peephole. With the construction now, the ride to SF is painfully slow. There were flashing lights at the bellmouths and I could get a clear view of the new tunnel. There were these flashing lights at the new tracks in both tunnels. The train got yellow over yellow at the new switch. So yes, the loop track will be maintained, but will not be used for service.

Revenue trains are not allowed to access the new tunnel. LOL.

Oh by the way, just near fare control, just to the left of the stairs coming from the platform (from an ascending point of view) there is a plywood barricaded zone in the wall. I believe this will lead to the stairs that will go to the new station.

That is cool and thanks once again. And yeah I gotta check into (MTA) history to see the Sunday thing. I feel it would be the 21st since Friday is a weekday, and weekdays tend to be an awkward day to open a new station... I'll chek into that, :D!

I am positive about the 2002 (1) train reopening of the Greenwich St Tunnel, cause the next day it was some holiday or something and I rode the (2) express and the (1) straight to SF thru the rebuilt WTC tunnel. I quite sure about the 2001 Manny B changes as well as the 63rd Street Phenomenon.

Yeah, miracally you are 100% right. The Stillwell Closed on a Sunday, Opened on a Sunday. The (F) on the 63rd is also on a Sunday. The (1)/(9) South Ferry return was also on a Sunday. That is really coincidential or a real planning strategy...

Yet the 21st of this month is a Sunday!

Not really miraculous, just happened to remember.

All new work programs are effective on Sundays. This one is effective 12/21/08. Our work week starts on Sundays so a person with weekends off is off Su/Sat not Sat/Su as one might think.

Thanks for the info. That sums it all up.

Here is the link to the NY1 story about the new South Ferry (1) stattion. It looks Really NICE!B) The new (NYCT) station looks very bright and clean. It looks like the (MTA) did a really great job. I can't wait to see the new pictures from the station.

Here is the video report,

http://www.ny1.com/content/news_beats/transit/90508/brand-new-south-ferry-station-to-open-soon/Default.aspx?ap=1&Flash

It's offical. The New South Ferry subway station will open next month (january 2009)with a date to be soon announced. Here this morning NY Daily News story.

New South Ferry subway station set to open.

By Pete Donhaue NY Daily News writer

The first new subway station in nearly 20 years will open next month - ending more than three years of service delays caused by construction, officials said Thursday.

The new South Ferry station at the southern tip of Manhattan on the No. 1 line features an air-circulating and cooling system.

One sweltering summer days, temperatures inside the terminal will be nice and cool, like one one other location in the 468-station system.

"It's a real 21st Century station," MTA Capital Construction Co. President Michael Horodniceanu said.

The $530 million project is the first of the federally funded post 9/11 recovery projects to be completed.

The two-track station was built beneath the existing stop, which dates back to 1905.

The new configuration will allow subway managers to increase the number of trains per hour from 17 to 24, Horodniceanu said.

Managers also will have more options when dealing with problems like stalled trains or sick passengers.

Officials Thursday said riders could see about six minutes shaved from their commutes.

The existing station - which will remain in place - has one entrance. There are no escalators or elevators.

The new station has seven escalators, two elevators and three entrances/exits.

Riders heading to South Ferry no longer will have to be in the first five cars of the train to exit, as they currently do due to the short platform located on a sharp curve, Capital Construction program executive Uday Dorg said.

Another benefit: it won't be so loud because of noise-absorbing rubber panels beneath rail ties.

"You don't get the same screeching noise when the train pulls into the station," Dorg said.

When the new station opens, riders will be able for the first time to transfer for free to the R and W trains at the Whitehall Station.

During the excavation for the station, workers found part of the battery wall erected in the 1700s. Part of that wall is now a display in the station.

The last two stations built were in 1989, both on the F line - Roosevelt Island and Queensbridge/21st St.

c)2008 NY Daily News.

any reactions?

To be frank, I really doubt the station could open this month.

While the interior seems finish, there is a lot to be done at ground level.

Take a look at Peter Minuit Plaza. It is still barricaded with fences. The interior is ripped up. There is scrap metal everywhere. The station entrance needs a glass roof. The lift lacks signage.

The same goes for the entrance at Battery Park.

Do you honestly think that all of these could be accomplished within 2 weeks? I really think not.

I would probably say, the earliest they could open is 4th January 2009. Doesn't school start on the following day? By then, work should be complete.

I think it will be the 19th if they want a more weekday opening or the 21st if they want a weekend opening... Also, I think they also prepared the 1 or 2 R-62 (1) trains in the station to serve the grand opening run, :)!

As they said, work schedules begin on Sundays. The station will open on a Sunday. I am not sure they will do some fancy schmancy for the inaugural run, I'm not sure if the trains need any preparation for the cutting ribbon ceremony. But I believe the MTA will print brochures telling passengers about their accomplishment. Like, what are the benefits of the new station...why they had to build a new one...what will happen to the old one... to please the customers so that they know that the MTA did take from them a dime, yet returned to them a cent.

Did I hear cool air? Does that mean that they'll install PSDs?

Yes they will have air cooling systems. It is most probably akin to the air cooling system at the (4)(5)(6) platforms at Grand Central, only a bit advanced. They will not install PSDs currently, there is not the time and money for it. Remember, the subways are not run on ATO operation, so the MTA is not taking any chances for imperfectly aligned doors. Also, the film clip provided on NY1 does not hint any evidence of platform screen door instalment. Although I once said that it could be the instalment of PSDs (based on pictures weeks ago), the film confirmed that THERE ARE NO PLATFORM SCREEN DOORS AT SOUTH FERRY TERMINAL

Yes, I was trespassing. I wasn't the only one. A few others were trespassing before me. And the worker at the site didn't seem to care.

So just because you saw other people doing it,you feel it's ok to trespass on

property you wern't suppose to go into?wow,suprised no one told you wern't

allowed there.

So just because you saw other people doing it,you feel it's ok to trespass on

property you wern't suppose to go into?wow,suprised no one told you wern't

allowed there.

To be honest, not everyone is a goody two shoes. There are people who walk through subway cars knowing it is illegal and dangerous. There are people who know it is illegal to drive when they are on a few beers and still do it. I know that it is not right for those without permission to sneak in (in other words, me), but I'll ask you this question: are you, yourself, a goody two shoes? Don't comment on the pursuits of others if you yourself have done things that are not right, legally.

And let us stay back on the topic and not turn this into another flame war.

Now back to the topic.

Based on the video provided by NY1, I consider the font they used at the station for "South Ferry" to be a bit too bland. They could tried to use a mosaic design like on the other stations on the IRT.

To be honest, not everyone is a goody two shoes. There are people who walk through subway cars knowing it is illegal and dangerous. There are people who know it is illegal to drive when they are on a few beers and still do it. I know that it is not right for those without permission to sneak in (in other words, me), but I'll ask you this question: are you, yourself, a goody two shoes? Don't comment on the pursuits of others if you yourself have done things that are not right, legally.

And let us stay back on the topic and not turn this into another flame war.

Now back to the topic.

Based on the video provided by NY1, I consider the font they used at the station for "South Ferry" to be a bit too bland. They could tried to use a mosaic design like on the other stations on the IRT.

I know there are people who arn't goody two shoes.i wouldn't call myself a

goody two shoes,but i wouldn't put myself in a place i could get injured or

get arrested.

I was walking between trains on December-10th-2008 and I was doing something not allowed, any word? :)!

And that day, the driver of the Whitehall Street bound (W) didn't close the office door so I got pix of the R-160 controls but not detailed. But I put one of the yellow wood/plastic strips on the door and warned the conductor. Did something good and bad so it is equal!

Well, in the NY1 vid, I saw two people go in the New South Ferry Station! Hehe, tresspassing to a station, well that isn't really like into the tracks but equal as walking between trains! :D!

And back on topic: When is the new south ferry station opening? Too much rumours on January and December 19th or 21st...

Certainly not the 19th. The media lied when it said the 19th.

I believe 4th January seems more likely.

Archived