Maserati7200

(1)- 240th St-red

(2)-239th St-green

(3)-Livonia-blue

(4)- Mosholu-orange

(5)-East 180 St-black

(6)-Westchester-yellow

(7)-Corona-purple

(9) was 240th yd and 3rd Ave El was 239th St ( never had a strip)

NTT generally don't need strips although a few cars had them temporarily affixed when they were new.

(1)- 240th St-red

(2)-239th St-green

(3)-Livonia-blue

(4)- Mosholu-orange

(5)-East 180 St-black

(6)-Westchester-yellow

(7)-Corona-purple

(9) was 240th yd and 3rd Ave El was 239th St ( never had a strip)

NTT generally don't need strips although a few cars had them temporarily affixed when they were new.

What about Lenox Yard?

Like what some people said earlier, the colored stickers underneath the number signs indicate where the train cars are stored. The BMT/IND cars used to have stickers underneath their subway car numbers, most notably the R68/R68A cars, until they were removed in 2000. R142 and R142A's do not have stickers underneath their car numbers, though.

Lenox Yard was blue because we had R62A equipment then. The repair facility for the (3) is Livonia Yard. The (3) picked up the (4) fleet when Mosholu Yard started using NTT equipment. As for the (7) fleet, it now consists of R62A cars from the (1), (3) and (6) lines, hence the many different colored strips they have.

After riding the Flushing Line daily for over two years I can safely say that I have seen every car on every train that runs in service. Someone who rides a line like that regularly sees the same car about 4-5 times a month. I can safely tell you that every single car has the purple sticker. A yard worker/dispatcher will tell you with even more confidence.

Archived