Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Forest Glen

E to 179 Street

This evening I got on a Queens bound E train at Lexington Avenue. The signage said Jamaica Center. However, once it arrived at 71st/Continental the PA announced that it would be heading to 179 street. 75% of the people got off the train. I have no problem with the E going to 179 street but why can't they announce this in Manhattan? It seems like an E to 179 street is a spur of the moment decision.

That's strange. (E) trains go to 179 Street, during Rush hours. If that's the case, the signs should be correct or the conductor will make the announcement. It is rather strange that the (E) train to 179 Street isn't announced in Manhattan when the uptown sign is wrong, but I believe that the sign should be corrected next time.

When the line is fully 160's, those that are scheduled to run to 179 will say so all the way. One of the good things about the NTT's.

This evening I got on a Queens bound E train at Lexington Avenue. The signage said Jamaica Center. However, once it arrived at 71st/Continental the PA announced that it would be heading to 179 street. 75% of the people got off the train. I have no problem with the E going to 179 street but why can't they announce this in Manhattan? It seems like an E to 179 street is a spur of the moment decision.

That happened to me on one of R40/R42 (E).

Which car you were on?

When R32/R38/R40/R42 (E) announcement said going on (F), I imitate R160 announcement and said, *This is Jamaica 179th St-bound (E) express train via (F) line. Next stop is 75th Av.*

some conductors are like that. happens often during G.O.'s

That E train was an unscheduled reroute. Probably either due to a delay in F service or a blockage near Jamaica Center.

What time?

Yea this is pretty common from what I've seen. I can get off at Parsons or Jamaica Center so I chuckle to myself when that happens. Or enjoy a seat for a couple stops when I've been standing since midtown as the train empties.