Crosstown Via Canal St?

Tbirdbassist

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ensel/269297208/in/set-72057594138731417/

Second Paragraph.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Street_(New_York_City_Subway)

Anyone know where this was supposed to go? The picture is facing west looking at the sharp curve north to Broadway from the Canal St platform. I cross Canal multiple times a day and there really isn't much westward now and I can't imagine there was back in the day. I assume this was original BMT plans so I doubt information about this planned lined is abundant... but if anyone would know, its someone here.

Back in the day, today's BMT Broadway (N)(Q) Tracks used to go straight and take a hard left turn and connect up with the BMT Nassau St (J) line, While todays IND 6 Av (B)(D) Tracks used to head up Broadway. The first picture looks more to be the North Side of the bridge Tracks coming from Brooklyn on the (:)(D); hence, that stub straight used to go West and turn right up Broadway. I could be wrong, could be the South Side (N)(Q) Tracks.

I don't think there was a crosstown plan. That curve is just for Broadway Express. The (N) and (Q) goes through there every single day.

It's not abandoned.....

Back in the day, today's BMT Broadway (N)(Q) Tracks used to go straight and take a hard left turn and connect up with the BMT Nassau St (J) line, While todays IND 6 Av (B)(D) Tracks used to head up Broadway. The first picture looks more to be the North Side of the bridge Tracks coming from Brooklyn on the (:)(D); hence, that stub straight used to go West and turn right up Broadway. I could be wrong, could be the South Side (N)(Q) Tracks.

Actually there was a crosstown plan. This was before the BRT subway construction. Initially the Triborough plan was to have a 4th Avenue Subway in Brooklyn, a Broadway subway and a Lexington Avenue Subway. The Lexington Avenue Subway was later given to the IRT. However, because of the Triborough plan, it was built to larger specifications (albeit, the trains are the same size as the original IRT). The 4th Avenue Brooklyn trunk line was built and was to be connected to the Broadway line thru only the Montague Street Tunnel and connected to the Canal Street Crosstown line through the Manhattan Bridge. Broadway Expresses were to continue via Montague and were to use the Lower Level Station at City Hall. The locals were to terminate at City Hall upper level. Plans changed, and the Broadway Expresses were to use to Bridge tracks and the locals were to use the Montague tracks. Hence, the crosstown line was NEVER BUILT.. the bellmouths, the lower level of City Hall are all vestiges of a different system.

Actually there was a crosstown plan. This was before the BRT subway construction. Initially the Triborough plan was to have a 4th Avenue Subway in Brooklyn, a Broadway subway and a Lexington Avenue Subway. The Lexington Avenue Subway was later given to the IRT. However, because of the Triborough plan, it was built to larger specifications (albeit, the trains are the same size as the original IRT). The 4th Avenue Brooklyn trunk line was built and was to be connected to the Broadway line thru only the Montague Street Tunnel and connected to the Canal Street Crosstown line through the Manhattan Bridge. Broadway Expresses were to continue via Montague and were to use the Lower Level Station at City Hall. The locals were to terminate at City Hall upper level. Plans changed, and the Broadway Expresses were to use to Bridge tracks and the locals were to use the Montague tracks. Hence, the crosstown line was NEVER BUILT.. the bellmouths, the lower level of City Hall are all vestiges of a different system.

Excellent point dude! That's right, the Broadway Express was to utilize City Hall's Lower Level. I forgot about that one. :tup: Thanks for the reminder:)

The subway will never cross the hudson, so you can strike off going to NJ.

- A

Hold on Andy. The IND was suppose to go into Jersey back in the late 30's early 40's via the G.W.B. Only proof that exist the 174th Street Yard and the way the Trans-Manhattan Express was built.

Canal Street, just west of Broadway?

I would assume this too at first but why would the trackways be sperated... unless the stub really isn't a stub and goes farther across Canal...

Devb, Would you tell in a PM? I know the LTV guys like to keep things quite. I'm quite curious as that tunnel looks odd. The brick makes me think it's right next to some basements... either that or it's just, really, really old.

so felllas with all the rhetoric aside... can we get a straight answer on where the pictures are from please? Lets bring out the point im am very curious to know where that it. It reminds me of the original BMT 59th St. station. Its in a basement in Bloomingdales and one can see that the line was supposed to ramp up the 59th street bridge to queens. i hope to put those pics up soon...

Archived