To all current T/Os

Fort Hamilton

Im in ! Passed the med and start on monday. Any advice and words of wisdom from you guys who have been down this road im about to travel.

Be willing to learn, don't be one of those guys that thinks that they know everything. If you listen to what other T/O's tell you on the job and not just the b.s. that school car tells you everything will be good.

Good luck.

if it was from a 03 test and now he got called up thats 6 years of waiting, thats crazy.

A wait of 2-6 years is what it takes to get NYC civil service jobs. These are careers not jobs!

That's why so many people use there veterans credit to get the job rather than save it for a promotional test later.

It's possible to get called earlier if you score good and they are hiring alot of people for that title at the time.

if it was from a 03 test and now he got called up thats 6 years of waiting, thats crazy.

A wait of 2-6 years is what it takes to get NYC civil service jobs. These are careers not jobs!

That's why so many people use there veterans credit to get the job rather than save it for a promotional test later.

It's possible to get called earlier if you score good and they are hiring alot of people for that title at the time.

Congratulations. Remember what I told you guys. It took 5 1/2 years fro me to get called for T/O, and 3 1/2 years for MaBSTOA B/O. Study, and remember. If you have a family, they will have to adjust to your new schedule. This job can drain you, even though you just move the trains. Pressure comes from all over when moving people. If you are from off the street, you will have fun for longer than most of us who worked for them from the past. Any idea on a division you will like to work in?????

Congratulations. Remember what I told you guys. It took 5 1/2 years fro me to get called for T/O, and 3 1/2 years for MaBSTOA B/O. Study, and remember. If you have a family, they will have to adjust to your new schedule. This job can drain you, even though you just move the trains. Pressure comes from all over when moving people. If you are from off the street, you will have fun for longer than most of us who worked for them from the past. Any idea on a division you will like to work in?????

Id like to work b division but i dont know if i get a choice. Do I get a choice?

Id like to work b division but i dont know if i get a choice. Do I get a choice?

Every class a certain amount of people will go to the A and the rest to the B. For example my T/O class only sent 10 people to the A, you get dibs in seniority order I was first and passed but out of the next 15 people 10 took the A slots so the rest were forced into the B.

If by chance you get forced into the A then you have to stay there until you can pick a job in the B.

Every class a certain amount of people will go to the A and the rest to the B. For example my T/O class only sent 10 people to the A, you get dibs in seniority order I was first and passed but out of the next 15 people 10 took the A slots so the rest were forced into the B.

If by chance you get forced into the A then you have to stay there until you can pick a job in the B.

While you are on the extra list can you get a different division every day just like days and hours? Also how often are you able to change divisions once you are able to pick jobs?

While you are on the extra list can you get a different division every day just like days and hours? Also how often are you able to change divisions once you are able to pick jobs?

When you are extra you will stay in the same division unless something rare happens and they switch you. Almost always you will stay in the same division the whole time you're extra. If they do switch you than you must be qualified in that division which takes months in the B and less time in the A.

Once you can pick a job which will be anywhere from 1.5 - 4.5 years you can switch every pick if you choose to. Right now there are many more T/O's than they usually have so you may be extra extra for a long time unless alot of people retire.

Be willing to learn, don't be one of those guys that thinks that they know everything. If you listen to what other T/O's tell you on the job and not just the b.s. that school car tells you everything will be good.

Good luck.

Just out of curiosity, how do you know which T/Os to listen to and which to ignore? And what b.s. does school car tell us?

When you are extra you will stay in the same division unless something rare happens and they switch you. Almost always you will stay in the same division the whole time you're extra. If they do switch you than you must be qualified in that division which takes months in the B and less time in the A.

Once you can pick a job which will be anywhere from 1.5 - 4.5 years you can switch every pick if you choose to. Right now there are many more T/O's than they usually have so you may be extra extra for a long time unless alot of people retire.

Thanks for info jah. By the way what the heck is extra extra ive never heard of that one before?

Just out of curiosity, how do you know which T/Os to listen to and which to ignore? And what b.s. does school car tell us?

Common sense will take you a long way down here.

As for school car they must teach you everything a certain way even if that is not the way it is done in the field or it could make no sense. And school car will teach you to be a RAT!!! They will teach you to rat on yourself, your C/R, and anyone else you see do womething against the rules. Don't do it. Rats are a disgusting kind of human being and the label will stay with you for your entire 25+ year career.

does extra means if they dont need you, you go home w/o pay?

Our contract guarantees us 40 hours of pay per week. There are 2 kinds of extra. There is extra list which is a picked job. You pick extra for a district (3,4,5 - north, south, queens in B division) and you get a different job everyday within that district. You work jobs that the regular guy could be out sick, at a medical, restricted, suspended, or other places.

The other kind is extra extra. This is when you are new and can't pick a job yet. You do the same thing as the extra list guys but not in 1 district but anywhere in the system. Plus they can change your days off and tour when ever they want. For me personally this was the worst experience of my life.

Common sense will take you a long way down here.

As for school car they must teach you everything a certain way even if that is not the way it is done in the field or it could make no sense. And school car will teach you to be a RAT!!! They will teach you to rat on yourself, your C/R, and anyone else you see do womething against the rules. Don't do it. Rats are a disgusting kind of human being and the label will stay with you for your entire 25+ year career.

Common sense? And yet, I've heard that common sense doesn't always work very well in the subway. For example, I can't quite imagine that school car staff would teach things incorrectly or that make no sense. I would think that they would show the correct way and that what people pick up in the field is probably incorrect/makes no sense.

Common sense? And yet, I've heard that common sense doesn't always work very well in the subway. For example, I can't quite imagine that school car staff would teach things incorrectly or that make no sense. I would think that they would show the correct way and that what people pick up in the field is probably incorrect/makes no sense.

I guess you know how it works down here better than me someone who has years on the job and is a third generation TA worker.:confused:

If you have good instructors in school car they will even teach you both ways to do things, the school car way and the "real" way. The problem is that there are almost no more qualified instructors in school car, they all left a few years ago because they got sick of all of the politics and the zero overtime.

Ask any of the EXPERIENCED T/O's on this board what would happen if they did there jobs the school car way everyday. They would be harrassed, written up, and have nothing but problems with the supervision on the road.

I guess you know how it works down here better than me someone who has years on the job and is a third generation TA worker.:confused:

If you have good instructors in school car they will even teach you both ways to do things, the school car way and the "real" way. The problem is that there are almost no more qualified instructors in school car, they all left a few years ago because they got sick of all of the politics and the zero overtime.

Ask any of the EXPERIENCED T/O's on this board what would happen if they did there jobs the school car way everyday. They would be harrassed, written up, and have nothing but problems with the supervision on the road.

So, allow me to introduce myself - my grandfather was a BMT cop, my father was a carpenter for MOW and I started with RTO as a C/R a little over 11 years ago and moved to T/O in Sept of '99. From that time on, I've always done my job the school car way. As a result of that, I've never:

• opened the doors on the wrong side

• overrun a station

• hit a properly functioning home signal

• been written up (except for an AWOL in a snowstorm when a NYCT bus didn't show up for at leat 2 hours)

• never had a problem with supervision (other than the occasion idjit that shouldn't be in that position to start with)

When I've had problems on the road, I was able to overcome them before the arrival of the nearest TSS because I knew my job and could do it correctly - which is more than can be said for a lot of T/Os down here. I've known too many people who couldn't do things the school car way - the two that spring to mind immediately are now a C/R ( who had 9 years in title) and a CTA (who had 23+ years in title).

All that being said, I'm not sure it's really a good idea telling someone who's so new that they haven't even started yet that there is a "better" way than school car. After all, the school car way is the way that he will be tested on to pass his tests and practicals. Let the poor guy get out to the road before you attempt to bring him to the dark side.

For example, I can't quite imagine that school car staff would teach things incorrectly or that make no sense.
How about for C/Rs how school car teach them that they have to point at the C/R board before opening the doors. Does that make sense for you?

So, allow me to introduce myself - my grandfather was a BMT cop, my father was a carpenter for MOW and I started with RTO as a C/R a little over 11 years ago and moved to T/O in Sept of '99. From that time on, I've always done my job the school car way. As a result of that, I've never:

• opened the doors on the wrong side

• overrun a station

• hit a properly functioning home signal

• been written up (except for an AWOL in a snowstorm when a NYCT bus didn't show up for at leat 2 hours)

• never had a problem with supervision (other than the occasion idjit that shouldn't be in that position to start with)

When I've had problems on the road, I was able to overcome them before the arrival of the nearest TSS because I knew my job and could do it correctly - which is more than can be said for a lot of T/Os down here. I've known too many people who couldn't do things the school car way - the two that spring to mind immediately are now a C/R ( who had 9 years in title) and a CTA (who had 23+ years in title).

All that being said, I'm not sure it's really a good idea telling someone who's so new that they haven't even started yet that there is a "better" way than school car. After all, the school car way is the way that he will be tested on to pass his tests and practicals. Let the poor guy get out to the road before you attempt to bring him to the dark side.

If you are so by the book then I can guarantee that you have NEVER made an interval on time!!! I just don't believe in the school way which these days is rat, rat, rat. They drill it into these guys heads to be rats when it is not necessary. They tell you that you and your partner are a team out there but to rat on them if any chance comes.

Like I said the 1 or 2 good instructors left will even teach you the way to pass the tests AND the way to survive everyday on the job without headaches.

"T/O where did you lose your time?" I don't know I was operating according to school car instructions. "Call control when you get to the terminal and write me a G-2."

Archived