Last stop? Public hearing Wednesday night on MTA's hatchet plan

Harry

For the past nine years, Carroll Gardens senior citizen Vida Ebrahim has relied on the B75 bus to get her to church, the supermarket and the occasional trip to the movies.

This spring, the MTA may eliminate Ebrahim's route along with five others in Brooklyn to cut costs, a move that would leave commuters scrambling.

"They'll cut my life," said Ebrahim, 78, who collected 100 signatures to keep the B75 running. "The train is completely out of my reach. I can't go up and down the steps. I get out breath and my knees and hips hurt.

"I'm hoping that they don't harden their heart and take away the bus, because I'd be lost without the bus."

The MTA is holding a public hearing Wednesday night at the Marriott Hotel in downtown Brooklyn from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m., where riders are expected to sound off to transit officials about the proposed cuts.

Transit officials also have threatened to cut weekend and overnight service to 16 other bus lines around the borough, displacing riders in neighborhoods such as Coney Island, East New York and Park Slope.

The Z train also could become history, and the M train would no longer run in Brooklyn.

"We all know it's tough times, but there's got to be an alternative," said City Councilman Bill de Blasio (D-Park Slope), whose district could lose three buses.

MTA spokesman Kevin Ortiz said service cuts may be inevitable unless the state Legislature bails out the agency with a massive infusion of funds.

A proposed plan would raise $2.5 billion every year for the MTA with a payroll tax and tolls on the East River and Harlem River bridges.

"We're fully aware that these measures will have a traumatic impact on communities through Brooklyn, and these are measurements that we don't want to implement," Ortiz said.

His words were of little comfort to Pearl Fisher of Kensington, where the B23 bus may get the ax.

"I go to the doctor, and I have six children, they go to school with it," she said. "This is my lifeline. I don't have a car. Before I heard this, I wanted to call the MTA and ask why it only runs twice an hour."

State Assemblyman Dov Hikind (D-Borough Park) blasted the MTA over the proposed eliminations, calling the MTA "the worst agency."

Crown Heights resident Ralph Dorsinville will be at tonight's meeting to lobby the MTA to keep the B25 line so he can get his 8-year-old son to school in Bedford-Stuyvesant - where the boy already is in trouble for being late because of the long commute.

"I'm struggling with this as it is," said Dorsinville, "but this will make it worse."

BY SARAH R. KAUFMAN and VERONIKA BELENKAYA

DAILY NEWS WRITERS

January 28th 2009

post-1-133288580224_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580224_thumb.jpg

How many people attended Brooklyn Public Hearing?

I was at Westchester County Hearing along with Eliot Sandler and Richard Stiller, Bee-Line employee (who gave me Bee-Line Orion movdel as X-mas gift when I was staying in Akron, OH)

Westchester County also announce because of (MTA) MetroCard, all Bee-Line Bus service will also increase along with (MTA) at 23% or 8% Ravitch Recommendation plan.

There is one eldery lady not happy with W20 going via Cross County Shopping Center every day. She also told them especially on Holidays when buses are runnin, W20 gets late because of holiday shoppers at CCSC.

To the MTA and the service cuts,I would give it a big thumbs down because what's the point of cutting these bus routes when people need to go where they want to go?

To the MTA,your service cuts proposal is a big thumbs down:tdown:

i agree, if i gotta pay the $3 fare, i have no choice, although its a lil extreme but ill pay it...

however, service cuts are a NO NO!!!! i totally DONOT agree they should cut any service out. especially the weekend B16 bus. it has a long route between Bay Ridge-Shore Rd and Lefferts Gardens-Prospect Park (B)(Q)(S) Station.

the B75 is a bus they should all keep.

the B23 and B25...eh..., i dont really use it but it'll be nice if they kept it.

the Weekend B16, thats a bus i mostly use whenever the (R) train has a delay or a G.O. they should make the B16 a route that operate 24/7.

the B37 bus shouldn't be cut either. believe it or not, alot of people travel along that line from Downtown Brooklyn to Bay Ridge via 3 Ave. add more buses to it. same goes for the B16, Q56, B65, and B51.

Late Night B77 should be kept. it serves the Red Hook Community instead of walking all the way to the train station to take the (F)(G) @ Smith-9 Sts, or the B61 on Van Brunt St. Keep also the B31, B45, B48, B57, B67, and definitely B64.

Keep same service on the B9, B11, and B70, Q32, S66, S67, S54, S76 and S57, M6, M8, M10, M18, M1, M2, M16, M22, M20, M21, M23, M42, M50, M66, M79, M96, M101, M102, M103 and M104, M106 and M116.

basically NO buses should be cut.

as for the (W)(Z) service, maybe keep the (W) at least. the (Z) is the same as the (J).

also, KEEP LATE NIGHT (N) SERVICE RUN ON THE (R) LINE!!!!!! the (Q) already runs over the manhattan-bridge. they donot need 2 broadway lines to operate over the bridge....

if thats the case they wanna close (R) line stations overnight:

-(N) can operate as a shuttle train between Pacific St and Stillwell Av via 4 Ave Express from either 59 St or 36 St to Pacific St,

-(D) run local from 36 St to DeKalb Av (Passengers can connect with (Q) at DeKalb Av for Broadway Service),

-(Q) can operate to Astoria during late nights making Broadway Local stops via Manhattan Bridge or the (R) line,

-(R) service can get extended to Pacific St during late nights via Express from 36 St to Pacific St. (instead of terminating at 59 St),

OR...

-(R) service can get extended to Whitehall St-South Ferry during late nights via 4 Ave Local from 59 St to Whitehall St-South Ferry.

WHITEHALL ST-SOUTH FERRY (N)*(R)(W) STATION IS A STATION SOME CUSTOMERS USE TO CONNECT TO AND FROM THE STATEN ISLAND FERRY. NOBODY WANTS TO TAKE THE (1) @ SOUTH FERRY STATION, OR THE (4)(5) @ BOWLING GREEN STATION. KEEP THE WHITEHALL ST (N)*(R)(W) STATION OPEN!!!!!

*(N) is currently operating via the (R) line late nights.

I hope somebody (most likely the federal government) ends up bailing out the (MTA) - otherwise, a lot of people are going to get screwed over.

Dunno how much good the public hearings'll do (aside from complying with the law); every time the (MTA) proposes a fare hike and trots out the horse-and-PowerPoint show, no matter what people do or say at these things, the fare always goes up, anyway.

No, I hope New Yorkers should stop complaining and expecting high expectations from the (MTA). Live with it. Some of those stupid straphangers especially the Straphanger.org officials are asking for more, but complain when the (MTA) makes a unpopular. Just 'cause this is a free country, doesn't mean anything. We're going through an economic crisis. Don't expect much. Yea, we're getting money from Obama's stimitus package, but in a few years, the (MTA) is still gonna raise fares. The subway system and the bus system will still be the same maybe with better subways and buses. But New Yorkers. This is New York. If you don't like it move to Boston or Buffalo, and rally in front of Albany. There.

I just tested out Bx14 roundtrip and it was nice ride and my first experience.

I could see why County Club resident don't want Bx14 bus to be elimated.

Eastern portions of County Club have to walk to Bruckner Blvd to catch their buses.

According to friend who lives and work at Metropolitan Museum of Art, if Bx14 was elimated, they have to hire van service (similar to what Brooke Club in Ossinning does).

There's petition on B37 3rd Av, Q74, M8, Bx34/Bx10 Late Night Service, etc.

Archived