MLB 2009 Season

Shortline Bus

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After 2-hour plus rain delay the Rangers-Yanks game from Texas has finally begun around 1030pm NY time. If this was a friday or saturday when most ppl are off from work/school that one thing.

I know this is the Yanks only schdulded visit to the Dallas area(Arlington)this year but what wrong with double headers? It unfair to fans who came to see the Bombers from all over Texas and entire SW region as well.

The first in season change of Skippers has occured for the 2009 MLB Campaign. Today 5/29/09 the Rockies fired Clint Hurdle. Hurdle to date the only manager in team history to lead the Rockies to the world series (losing in '07 to the red sox)has been on the hot seat after last season's 2nd division finish and a slow start this season.

Meanwhile The Yanks plays the Indians for 3 game weekend series in Cleveland. Mets host the Fish from South Flordia at Citifield.

And the Phillies play the Nats this weekend in the Bank. They would have played them 12 times in the first 48 games. After Sunday, the Phillies don't see the Nats for the next 86 games.

Its early but the Phillies are starting to reminder me of the early 1970's Oakland A's Championship teams featuring Reggie Jackson. Like those A's teams they get off to slow starts get hot from July-onwards and win when it counts.

The first in season change of Skippers has occured for the 2009 MLB Campaign. Today 5/29/09 the Rockies fired Clint Hurdle. Hurdle to date the only manager in team history to lead the Rockies to the world series (losing in '07 to the red sox)has been on the hot seat after last season's 2nd division finish and a slow start this season.

Meanwhile The Yanks plays the Indians for 3 game weekend series in Cleveland. Mets host the Fish from South Flordia at Citifield.

Long time Yankees & Mets Fan, both team won last night. Mets beat the Fish 2-1 in 11 innings thank to Omir Santos drive in a RBI single also Ramon Castro got traded to White Sox for Pitcher Lance Broadway. Yankees won 3-1 over crapping Indians Mo Rivers got a save & this is the 58 times he saves the game for Andy Pettitte pitch in the game & set a record for most saves by one starter in history.

Davide:cool:

(NYCT)I'm sure i miss this logo

Life time Yankees & Mets Fan.

That sucks for the fans as well. Or dont forget last year infamous game#3 of Phils-Rays World Series at CBP that started at around 10pm as well.

They wanted people to be able to watch this game after a 7:10 game. Just so you guys know, philly sports venues have public transportation, as well as interstate 95 right nearby across the quite large parking lot, if it was more isolated it would not be scheduled as late.

- A

Shifting gears a question. With so many good atheles now that are pitchers is there now even a need for the DH? Pitchers like CC Sabhita, Jake Pavevy, Carlos Zambrano, etc who are better hitters than those batting in front of them as the 8th hitter in the lineup?

I am a semi 'old school' traditionalist' that the only 'new' change to baseball i endorse is interleague play in the regular season. Here a recent newspaper article that makes argument that the "DH" which i agree just like disco when created in the 1970's should fade away into history.

IT'S THE Death of the DH: Why the DH should end? BY Joel Sherman NY Post Baseball Columinst and Editor

THE designated hitter died this year. Cause of death is likely withdrawal from drugs, though investigators still are considering other theories. We are notifying the next of kin -- the

14 AL teams. In lieu of flowers, those AL squads should send a donation to themselves by pocketing the exorbitant dollars spent annually on one-dimensional cavemen.

Of course, a DH still is being employed in all AL games and interleague matchups at AL parks. But what is gone -- perhaps forever -- is the value of the aging veteran whose lingering ability to hit allowed him to keep earning significant money by stepping to the plate four times a game.

Nearly a third of the way through this season, that species has gone a long way toward making itself extinct by fading physically, statistically or both. David Ortiz is the most overt representation of this type, weighing in currently as a Kei Igawa-esque waste of money. But he hardly is alone. Tampa's Pat Burrell and Cleveland's Travis Hafner are on the disabled list, and Hideki Matsui and Vladimir Guerrero are achy, diminished versions of their former selves.

The only member of this tribe not currently providing a total drag on a lineup and payroll is Jim Thome.

Right now, the two most productive regular DHs are Minnesota's Jason Kubel and Toronto's Adam Lind. Kubel is 27 and Lind is 25. (Baltimore's Luke Scott, 30, is not yet qualified for the batting title, but also is having a terrific year).

So what does this say to us?

1. Greater concentration on drug testing probably is having the desired benefit. Not long ago, 40 was the new 30. Now, thirtysomething is again an athletic curse.

No position better exemplified the over-muscled philosophy of the game than DH. Jason Giambi, an admitted steroid user, is the poster child for the ilk.

Without accusing any specific player of chemical malfeasance, just know that as recently as 2006, five DHs who qualified for the batting title produced an OPS of .900 or better (actually all were .926 or higher): Hafner, Ortiz, Thome, Giambi and Frank Thomas. All fit the stereotype of guys who should only wear batting gloves and never touch a fielding mitt.

In 2009, no DHs were over .900 entering yesterday's games.

2. There were still a few productive 35-and-over types whose calling card is supposed to be their offense. Philadelphia's Raul Ibanez is an MVP contender and his teammate Matt Stairs remains a dangerous pinch-hit option. Gary Sheffield has had a stunning revival with the Mets, but only after the Tigers ate $13.6 million dollars because they thought he could not play the field and was too much of a drain on their roster.

In general, however, this genus is performing woefully. You have the above-mentioned DHs plus Giambi, Ken Griffey Jr., Mike Sweeney, Garret Anderson, Brian Giles and Magglio Ordonez, who are working at levels that are making it problematic to keep them in the lineup. Others such as Carlos Delgado, Jorge Posada, Cliff Floyd and Nomar Garciaparra have failed to remain healthy.

And then we have Manny Ramirez, who was productive, but also is now a discovered drug cheat.

3. When the DH-types falter, they become total hindrances because they offer no other fringe benefits in the field or on the bases or even as pinch-hitters. They are a total waste of a roster spot, but most can't be released because they are so well-compensated. The Red Sox, who are paying Ortiz $12.5 million this year and next, can survive the plummet financially. So can the Yanks with Matsui, who is making $13 million in the final year of his contract, and is see-sawing between effectiveness and being a near automatic out.

But Hafner is the highest-paid player in Indians' history (owed $40.25 million for three years beyond this one). Burrell this winter signed to a two-year, $16 million contract for Tampa, which still has the AL's second-lowest payroll.

These players are killers for those teams. They destroy financial flexibility and roster maneuverability. Again, the Yanks might be able to survive having three expensive DH types in Matsui, Posada and Xavier Nady. But the Indians and Rays are devastated by their faulty, expensive decisions with one player.

4. And this is why I believe you are seeing the death of the traditional DH. Do you know that DH is often the highest-paid spot on the field? The average DH made $7.506 million last year. The next-highest spot was first base ($7.118 million). The discrepancy was greater in 2007 when DHs averaged $8.488 million and the next-highest spot was third base ($5.747 million). This is why the Players Association always has been a strong defender of preserving the DH, to keep the money flowing to these older players.

But those days are gone, I believe, and it has nothing to do with collective bargaining. A survey of several AL executives strongly indicated that teams no longer will allocate big dollars to aging hitters. Teams have put greater emphasis on defense in the past few years and would rather use their dollars in that forum. They also recognize that the reduction of steroids means there is no value -- beyond name recognition -- in having an aging slugger on the team; unless you like fading and brittle.

Also, teams recognize the value of roster flexibility. For example, several Yankees officials informed me that no matter how Matsui performs this year, he almost certainly will not be back next year. The organization wants to use the DH slot, instead, as a time share for other aging players such as Posada, Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez. A few clubs might go to the younger model now in vogue with Kubel and Lind.

Thomas, Barry Bonds, Luis Gonzalez and Mike Piazza have been placed into forced retirement pretty much as clubs already had begun the transition away from the traditional DH. In free agency this offseason, even Delgado and Matsui will have difficulty finding work; and certainly will not find anyone willing to pay close to the once-accepted fee.

The DH as we have known it is dead. Long live the well-rounded player.

joel.sherman@nypost.com

c) 2008 NY Post and News Corp, Inc.

Any reactions?

The DH does separate the AL from the NL... and during interleague it's quite interesting how a team from the other league matches up to the league's standards. I say keep the DH, but use it more like a platoon to rest tired players. A half day off so to speak.

The DH does separate the AL from the NL... and during interleague it's quite interesting how a team from the other league matches up to the league's standards. I say keep the DH, but use it more like a platoon to rest tired players. A half day off so to speak.

IMO there should be '1' rule for all of MLB not separte ones. While i prefer the end of the DH myself, at same time if the DH became 'permament' I wont lose sleep either. In era now of interleague it makes it more clear to decide it once and for all.

IMO having the DH in '1' league and none in another in baseball is like having a 3-point shot in NBA western division and none in the east. That my point.:confused:

The DH rule really is weak. Every player should field and bat. End of story.
Umm, how on earth can pitchers bat? Pitchers have got to perfect their skills and pitch right. They have limited time to know how to bat. Many pitchers are horrific at bat, and I know this from watching National League baseball games, primarily the Mets.

Shifting gears. Subway Guy and I if you been the 'shout out' having friendly debate on the future of Joba Chamberlain.

Here why imo Chamberlain should be a closer.

1) Joba until his start recently vs Indians had never picthed 8 innings in his life ever ie High School or college.

2)How many teams have good closers?

3)Joba this season no longer has a 98-99 MPH fastball.

In other words you need a balance. Excellent Starters in MLB gets you to post season and good closers is key to winning the world series ring.

Closers make difference winning the ws or not at least 90% of time in last 30 years. Best example. The 1991-2000 Braves.

They won only one world series in that span in 1995 despite having '3' future HOF's (ie Glavine, Smoltz and Maddux)as starters.

Just my takes. Feel free guys including subway guy to make good reasons have Joba should be a starter?

But in last 30 years of mlb teams winning the ws from goose with the yanks in '78 to the 'nasty boys' with reds in '90 to brad lidge in '08, closers was the difference. That why Joba future imo is in the pen.

Joba cannot be in the bullpen. He has the power to pitch as a starter. He is up there with CC in terms pitching strength. However, Hudson River, you may have a good point. As we have seen with the 2007 Red Sox and 2008 Phillies, and many World Champion Yankee Teams closing pitching does matter.

Joba cannot be in the bullpen. He has the power to pitch as a starter. He is up there with CC in terms pitching strength. However, Hudson River, you may have a good point. As we have seen with the 2007 Red Sox and 2008 Phillies, and many World Champion Yankee Teams closing pitching does matter.

Thanks R68.

Archived