MLB 2009 Season

Shortline Bus

That was a slammin catch by Dewayne Wise!

The Phils are also hot too. After the Braves series which opened July, they only lost 2 games.

I am not a Phillies fan but let me say this. The Phillies will win the 2009 NL East ttitle a 3-peat. Sorry Met fans the season is over.B)

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just watched/listen to WFAN-AM Mike Francesa show on YES-TV and Omar Minaya might be on thin ice. Asst. GM Tony Bernazard could be Minaya replacement despite himself in hot water for screaming, cursing and threat to fight players at the Binghamton AA minor league team. Also the Daily News this morning (7/24/09)is reporting this as well.

"The Mets have let it be known that they are taking the Tony Bernazard investigation seriously, putting it in the hands of non-baseball people in the organization, and that makes me think there's a pretty good chance the assistant GM will survive his latest firestorm. In a roundabout way, meanwhile, that could mean trouble for Omar Minaya and also Manager Jerry Manuel. Bernazard is according to team sources become a favorite of Co-Owner Jeff Wilpon who is expected to take over full control from his father Fred as early as next season.'

Source: http://WWW.NYDAILYNEWS.COM

Reactions?

Guys with the perfect game being tossed which sports accomplishments is most harded.

1)Scoring at least 80 point in NCAA or NBA Basketball game .

2)Getting a perfect '10' in gymnatics.

3)Running Back in NFL getting over 200 yards in a game.

4)A Boweler scoring a perfect game.

5)Soccer player scoring 3 goals in game (hat trick)

6)'Whole in one' in golf.

7)perfect game in baseball

8)something else.

1 - funny that you mention this...

the easiest level to do this in, is in high school... then the NBA... the hardest to do this in, is in college actually... this isn't all that hard, compared to everything else on this list....

2 - these days (especially), the gymnast has no bearing on what score she'll/he'll get... remember that french judge... lol...

The idea of a "perfect 10" is an opinion anyway....

3 - this is pretty difficult to do... especially in the NFL...

it's the easiest to pull this off on the college level (run defenses are generally HORRENDOUS in the NCAA)

4 - I bowl a 226... that's considered excellent...

your average bowler isn't anywhere NEAR 200.... gettin a perfect 300 is not easy at all, but I will say it's a little easier to accomplish than getting a "hole in one"....

5 - this is one of those things that's not really difficult, but it aint easy either... I will admit it's harder to do in soccer, than it is to do in hockey.... the easiest sport to score a hat trick in, out of the three, is lacrosse....

6 - most difficult item on this list, secondary to a perfect game in baseball

7 - the most difficult feat to accomplish, out of this list...

Just watched/listen to WFAN-AM Mike Francesa show on YES-TV and Omar Minaya might be on thin ice. Asst. GM Tony Bernazard could be Minaya replacement despite himself in hot water for screaming, cursing and threat to fight players at the Binghamton AA minor league team. Also the Daily News this morning (7/24/09)is reporting this as well.

"The Mets have let it be known that they are taking the Tony Bernazard investigation seriously, putting it in the hands of non-baseball people in the organization, and that makes me think there's a pretty good chance the assistant GM will survive his latest firestorm. In a roundabout way, meanwhile, that could mean trouble for Omar Minaya and also Manager Jerry Manuel. Bernazard is according to team sources become a favorite of Co-Owner Jeff Wilpon who is expected to take over full control from his father Fred as early as next season.'

Source: http://WWW.NYDAILYNEWS.COM

Reactions?

My reaction is....

Good.

I hope it happens too... was long overdue...

Randolph ended up being the sacrificial lamb to this man's f**kups (pardon my french)....

The man had racist tendencies anyway... I'm going to keep repeating this...

He wants to make the Mets an all latin team... was just talking to my lil brother, my mother, and my uncle about this... compare the rosters of the met teams in the 80's, the 90's/early 2000's.... to the met teams since he's came back to the mets (around '03/04, or whenever it was)....

I could stomach (hell, I would watch) the mets when they had guys like Piazza, Ventura, Franco, Hundley... those core guys.... but when this guy Minaya made his presence again, you look around, the number of black players & white players were lessening on that team.... delgado came in, beltran, reyes, k-rod recently.. I'm sure there's others that have come & gone... That is not coincidence... There's a difference in simply trying to better a team, and trying to better a team only w/ a certain creed of players...

With Jim Rice and Rickey Henderson now in the MLB Hall of Fame feel free guys to make your picks for guys who played in last 25-30 years that not locks (ie Randy Johnson, Greg Maddux, Marino Rivera, Pedro, Derek Jeter, etc.)that should be sent to Cooperstown asap. Here some names in no order.

David Cone

Andre Dawson

Joe Carter

Curt Schilling(imo he will get in)

Don Mattingly

Jeff Kent

Trevor Hoffman

Craig Biggio

Ken Griffery, Junior

Albert Belle

Roberto Alamor

Mark Grace

Ron Gidury

Barry Larkin.

Kirk Gibson

Tim Raines

Alan Trammel

Or anyone else you like to mention?

Controversial guys ie Suspected steriod users

Bonds

Clemons

Palmermro

Manny Ramierz(he would be a lock until recently getting 'busted')

Gary Shefield

Let the fun begin lol.:cool:

Guest Charles

Junior should definitely be inducted. Who knows what he could've done without his injuries? He's a talented player and one of the best players to have ever played the game.

Junior should definitely be inducted. Who knows what he could've done without his injuries? He's a talented player and one of the best players to have ever played the game.

Agreed. Plus he 'clean' and a nice guy as well. Without the injuries he probably at or near 700 carrer home runs by now.;)

Guest Charles
Agreed. Plus he 'clean' and a nice guy as well. Without the injuries he probably at or near 700 carrer home runs by now.;)

Speaking of clean, we know one person who isn't. Add Alex Rodriguez's name to your list of "controversial guys/steroid users."

Oh, this just came to my mind. What do you guys think of Shoeless Joe Jackson? Should he ultimately be placed into the Hall of Fame?

Speaking of clean, we know one person who isn't. Add Alex Rodriguez's name to your list of "controversial guys/steroid users."

Oh, this just came to my mind. What do you guys think of Shoeless Joe Jackson? Should he ultimately be placed into the Hall of Fame?

When and if Pete Rose is finally placed in he HOF, Jackson belongs there as well. While gambling can have a huge impact and both Rose and Jackson rightfully desereved to be suspened, Steroid/PED's can impact the game more more imo.

Plus Rose actions occurred after his playing days were over. I dont have a problem w/ Rose never getting another MLB Coaching/Executive job ever again but what the hell he still denied entry in the HOF?

Just my takes.:mad:

Guest Charles
When and if Pete Rose is finally placed in he HOF, Jackson belongs there as well. While gambling can have a huge impact and both Rose and Jackson rightfully desereved to be suspened, Steroid/PED's can impact the game more more imo.

Plus Rose actions occurred after his playing days were over. I dont have a problem w/ Rose never getting another MLB Coaching/Executive job ever again but what the hell he still denied entry in the HOF?

Just my takes.:mad:

I could care less about Pete Rose. Though he was a great player and is a record-holder, his gambling habits have outweighed the pros of his playing days.

Shoeless Joe is kinda different though. His situation has never been proven. Most people think he was tricked into the Black Sox scheme, considering he was illiterate. And looking at the stats of the fateful 1919 World Series, it seemed as if Joe tried his best to win. Wasn't he denied of a trial or something? Either way, from what I've read it seems as if Shoeless Joe was a scapegoat and MLB should take a closer look into his case.

I could care less about Pete Rose. Though he was a great player and is a record-holder, his gambling habits have outweighed the pros of his playing days.

Shoeless Joe is kinda different though. His situation has never been proven. Most people think he was tricked into the Black Sox scheme, considering he was illiterate. And looking at the stats of the fateful 1919 World Series, it seemed as if Joe tried his best to win. Wasn't he denied of a trial or something? Either way, from what I've read it seems as if Shoeless Joe was a scapegoat and MLB should take a closer look into his case.

You make a good point My friend. Rose did hurt the league alot as a Manager during the gambling scandals in late 1980's. So has Barry Bonds, Mark McGuire, Roger Clemons, Sammy Sosa and dozens of others in recent years. However you aware Ty Cobb was accused of betting on his own team when he was a skipper himself after his playing days?

Again a lifetime ban on Rose never getting any MLB Manager/Executive ever again is fair game IMO. If i was an Owner would i trust him to lead my team? With that said, there many shady people in the HOF from 'drunks' like the Babe to Racists/KKK members like Ty Cobb. Why not both Pete Rose and Joe Jackson?

FYI. Charles and others to get more detailed about the 1919 "Black Sox' scandal i highly suggest renting the video "Eight Men Out' starring Charlie Sheen and Chrisopther Lyold("doc brown" from Back to Future' films)

The Mets have just fired their Asst GM Tony Here the story.

Mets Fire Bernazard After Embarrassing Incidents

Associated Press July 27, 2009(New York) After a flurry of embarrassing news last week, the Mets promised an investigation into the behavior of their assistant general manager/executive V.P. of player development Tony Bernazard's actions. They must not have liked what they found because Bernazard was fired during a press conference on Monday afternoon held by team co-owner Fred Wilpon and General Manger Omar Minaya.

c)2009 AP, Inc.

Reactions?

Yanks lose another game in Fla. to the Rays 6-2 last night (7/28/09) However the real bad news is that Chien-Ming Wang is now out for the reminder of the season including playoffs and maybe his carrer in jepoardy? Here Daily News.

Yankees pitcher Chien-Ming Wang set for surgery on shoulder, 2009 season over

By Mark Feinsand

Daily News Sports Writer

Wednesday, July 29th 2009

ST. PETERSBURG - Chien-Ming Wang's season is officially over. Can the same be said for his baseball career as well?

Wang will undergo athroscopic surgery to repair the capsule (the fibrous membrane that surrounds the joint) in his right shoulder Wednesday, a procedure that will knock him out for the rest of the year.

The Yanks said there would be no timetable for his return until the surgery is complete, leaving his prognosis for 2010 up in the air.

"It's a tough loss for us," Joe Girardi said. "I feel for him, because he's been through a lot in the last 14-15 months with the foot injury and now this. Hopefully he'll have the rest of his career to be real healthy."

Wang, who earned $5 million this season, will be eligible for his final year of arbitration this winter, but he could be non-tendered by the Yankees if the surgery will prevent him from pitching part of the 2010 campaign.

Wang, who missed the final three-plus months of the 2008 season after suffering a severe foot injury running the bases in an Interleague game, was 1-6 with a 9.64 ERA in 12 games (nine starts) this year. He appeared to be making strides after throwing at least five innings in each of his last four starts. Wang was having his finest game of the season on July 4 before he felt something in his shoulder, forcing him from the game after giving up a homer to Toronto's Adam Lind.

"That was the best game he was pitching all year," pitching coach Dave Eiland said. "We were like, 'Maybe he's turned the corner' and all of a sudden he was out of the game. There were no complaints at all about his shoulder until he came out of that game."

RESTLESS: Girardi gave Alfredo Aceves another scheduled day off last night, saying the reliever had complained recently of being tired. Aceves, who has pitched only once in the past week, hoped to play catch before tonight's game and be available out of the bullpen.

TIGER TALK: According to a source, the Yankees have discussed a possible deal with the Tigers for speedy outfielder Josh Anderson, who was designated for assignment by Detroit on Friday to make room on the roster for Carlos Guillen. Anderson, 26, hit .242 in 165 at-bats this season, but was 13-for-15 in stolen base attempts, making him an ideal fill-in for Brett Gardner while he's on the DL with a broken thumb.... Damaso Marte (sore shoulder) gave up two runs on three hits, allowing two home runs in 1-1/3innings for Triple-A Scranton last night.

c)2009 NY Daily News.

Is is time for Yanks to go after someone like Cliff Lee, Jarrod Washburb, etc. to replace Wang permanetly? IMO Blue Jay star ace Roy Hallady is too expensive and i believe will stay 'north of the border' for rest of this season.,

The Mets have just fired their Asst GM Tony Here the story.

Mets Fire Bernazard After Embarrassing Incidents

Associated Press July 27, 2009(New York) After a flurry of embarrassing news last week, the Mets promised an investigation into the behavior of their assistant general manager/executive V.P. of player development Tony Bernazard's actions. They must not have liked what they found because Bernazard was fired during a press conference on Monday afternoon held by team co-owner Fred Wilpon and General Manger Omar Minaya.

c)2009 AP, Inc.

Reactions?

I saw this on the news... He's such a Tough guy...he could've gotten his ass kick by ALL the players in the locker room....that would've been funny.

:tdown: Breaking MLB news again. Guess who else was on the infamous 2003 steriods list in baseball joining "A-Rod." David Ortiz and Manny. This is according to the NY Times website and broadcasted this afternoon (7/30/09) on ESPN's sportscenter.

So far Ortiz has 'refused' to comment. So looks like the Red Sox did indeed sign a deal with the devil to win the 2004 and 2007 World Series. I am not suprised w/ Ortiz since his offensive numbers in Boston were much higher than his 20-homer season average with the the Twins. Reactions?:mad:

:tdown: Breaking MLB news again. Guess who else was on the infamous 2003 steriods list in baseball joining "A-Rod." David Ortiz and Manny. This is according to the NY Times website and broadcasted this afternoon (7/30/09) on ESPN's sportscenter.

So far Ortiz has 'refused' to comment. So looks like the Red Sox did indeed sign a deal with the devil to win the 2004 and 2007 World Series. I am not suprised w/ Ortiz since his offensive numbers in Boston were much higher than his 20-homer season average with the the Twins. Reactions?:mad:

Heh. Wonder how Mitchell is going to react to this, now that his favored sons have been outed.

Heh. Wonder how Mitchell is going to react to this, now that his favored sons have been outed.

I know some of you may disagree but this whole era imo from 1994-2006,(1st year mandotary testing for all drugs including ped's)should be an 'asterik'.

You cant wipe away the record like the 1919 'fixed' world series but to compare a ballplayer who played in 1975 to another in 2005 cant be done.

The best period in MLB history imo is the 30-year era between 1955-85.

:chuckles: I knew the day Ortiz's finger pointing at ARod for taking steroids will come back to haunt Ortiz. Now Ortiz is the big hypocrite here. I hope the Yankees shower him with jeers when Boston comes to the Bronx this month.

Guest Charles
Not to branch off or anything, but is anyone suspicious that Albert Pujols is using steroids? I think he's legit and all that because there's no gap in his numbers anywhere, but he certainly is a home run and RBI hitting machine.

I think he's clean.

I think he's clean.

I think he's clean too. He's certainly religious and believes in doing everything in honesty and law-abidingly and he certainly seems like a good role model. His records have not shown a significant drop like Big Papi, A-Rod, and Ramirez and he even said that he would pay the Cardinals every cent back from his salary if he ever used steroids.

He's certainly a major role model for me, but I do think that he's making the home runs and RBIs a bit too quickly. Plus, it's the steroids era in baseball, which makes him look even more suspicious.

And the Cardinals shouldn't even think twice about selling off Pujols. He's the heart and soul of the lineup and crowd and if they do sell them, then the Cardinals will make a decision like what the Red Sox did to Babe Ruth.

Archived