MLB 2009 Season

Shortline Bus

According to the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers superstar Manny Ramirez is to be hit with a 50-game ban for using performance-enhancing drugs, starting tonight (5/7/09)making him the biggest name yet caught and punished.

Ramirez issued the following statement through the players' union, which said he did not challenge the suspension. He is eligble to return July 3rd vs the Padres. The ban also includes the forefeit as much of 1/3 of his estimated $25 Million 2009 salary.

"Recently I saw a physician for a personal health issue. He gave me a medication, not a steroid, which he thought was okay to give me. Unfortunately, the medication was banned under our drug policy. Under the policy that mistake is now my responsibility. I have been advised not to say anything more for now. I do want to say one other thing; I've taken and passed about 15 drug tests over the past five seasons.

"I want to apologize to Mr. McCourt, Mrs. McCourt, Mr. Torre, my teammates, the Dodger organization, and to the Dodger fans. LA is a special place to me and I know everybody is disappointed. So am I. I'm sorry about this whole situation." – Manny Ramirez

Looks like the MLB became the WWE from 1995-2005 and i blame MLB Boss Bud Selig and Players boss Donald Fehr more than anyone.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i mean in a way, i feel badd for manny, but that's the least of my worries..............................

i'm worried about the yankees gettin' back on track. honestly, i feel girardi should go. they shoulda never got rid of joe torre. it's like day by day, the yankees keep gettin' worse and worse, and worse. this goes beyond the fact that we moved into a new stadium, and all that jazz. they need a shakeup. like they need a fight. someone needs to start up a fight to get the blood pumpin. i wish i played for the yankees, cause i'd definately bring energy to the team, or at least i'll try.

<6>

The first major celebrity Yankee who also agrees with Forest Glen on the early season "crisis" the 2009 NY Yankees are having. WFAN-AM Mike Franscesa on his show today (5/8/09) says this month is a 'do or die' for Yanks in brutal AL East. If they continue to struggle by mid June, now even Franscesa will throw the 'white flag' on the season. Francesa feels in worse case the bombers coud finish as low as 4th place.

Mike also goes after GM Brain Cashman for 'screwing' with Joba Chamberlain and feel Joba belongs back in bullpen.

Also he feels if Yanks is still losing 'soon' he would make the change at manager and "put Giardi aside." This is true from what i hear on radio.

Mike is surprised at how well both Toronto and certain point Baltimore doing so well. So awaiting any other reactions. Is Francesa making these comments for ratings?

Joba hurts his right thumb. Possible sprain.

Here the daily news article.

Joba Chamberlain hurts right thumb, Mother's Day start in question

BY Kristie Ackert

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Updated Sunday morning, May 10th 2009

BALTIMORE - Joba Chamberlain hopes to pitch Sunday on Mother's Day. Despite having to deal with the arrest last week of his mother, with whom the pitcher says he has not spoken to in a while, he still believes his turn in the Yankees rotation came up on Mother's Day for a reason. Chamberlain is scheduled to take the mound against the Orioles at Camden Yards, but his start may be in jeopardy after he broke a blood vessel in his right thumb Saturday night.

Chamberlain hurt the thumb during batting practice before Saturday night's 12-5 loss to the Orioles. While throwing a ball underhanded back to the infield Chamberlain felt something pop in his right thumb, which turned black and blue. Chamberlain, however, got treatment and was able to grip a ball during the game. As a precaution, Joe Girardi opted not to use long reliever Alfredo Aceves last night just in case Chamberlain is unable to go Sunday.

"We don't think it will be an issue (Sunday), but we had to protect ourselves," Girardi said. "If he can't go, Ace would be the guy."

Chamberlain said Saturday that he had not spoken to his mother, Jacqueline Standley, since she was arrested in Lincoln, Neb. on May 2 on suspicion of selling methamphetamine to an undercover police officer in February. The pitcher was raised by his father Harlan.

"Everything happens for a reason," Chamberlain said. "Of course it (a Mother's Day start) means something to me. I just feel like I have to be thankful for everything that I have and have become. It's not easy, but I think you just have to be thankful and then God will take care of the rest.

"I didn't think about it until (Saturday) really," Chamberlain said of potentially pitching on Mother's Day, "but yes, it will mean something to me to go out there (Sunday)."

Tuesday night, the day after finding out about his mother's arrest, Chamberlain gave up four runs before recording an out in a 7-3 loss to the Red Sox, but eventually settled down. He gave up one hit, walked two and struck out a career-high 12 over 5-2/3 innings.

"I just started finding a better rhythm and pace, I put the first inning behind me. It was over with and I just started finding a better tempo," said Chamberlain, who is 1-1 with a 3.77 ERA in six starts. "Obviously I have to try and find that in the first inning and not in the second."

Reactions Yankee fans?

c)2009 NY Daily News, Inc.

Guest Charles

Excellent pitching matchup tomorrow: Derek Lowe vs. Johan Santana, both 4-1.

As for the Manny Ramirez issue, that's just sad. All I can say.

Guest Charles

Will Toronto finally make the playoffs this year? There are some surprise AL Teams:

In the east, the Jays are leading and in the central, Kansas City is doing well. Texas is also doing good in a weak AL West. I think the Jays will hold on to first place right around the all-star break. Whether they stay in the playoff hunt in the 2nd half of the season is yet to be determined, but they're looking real good for October as of now.

Will Toronto finally make the playoffs this year? There are some surprise AL Teams:

In the east, the Jays are leading and in the central, Kansas City is doing well. Texas is also doing good in a weak AL West. I think the Jays will hold on to first place right around the all-star break. Whether they stay in the playoff hunt in the 2nd half of the season is yet to be determined, but they're looking real good for October as of now.

IMO the Jays and Texas are the most serious threats to make the playoffs. I picked the Jays to finish 4th or 5th(last in AL East) Now i think they might finish barring injuries finish at least in 2nd place and could be an wild card team.

Yanks are in trouble in brutal and cuthroat division the best by far in AL East aand easily could make the playoff or finish in 4th place. However the season is not over yet.

By Season end, the top 3 teams in AL East could arguably be the best in MLB.

Good weekend for the local NY MLB clubs. The Mets win a series vs the Giants taking 3 out of 4 games.

While the Yanks win 3 straight vs the Twins incuding '3 straight game winning homers/hits.

Intresting week for Mets. They play the Dodgers in LA for 3 games, then spend the memorial holiday weekend vs the Red Sox at Fenway to open the 'interleague' portion of the 2009 season.

The Yankeees this weekend play the defending champions Phillies this holiday weekend.

How about 6 in a row for the Yankees! Boy, last night was another close one, I held my breath for the bullpen. At least they came through and Mariano didn't need to pitch. (As in, he needed a day off.)

But the Mets, whoo, too bad they lost that one with the Dodgers. But with Delgado and Cora on the DL, their lead in the NL East isn't looking too secure now.

It's finally settlign down for the Yankees, the bullpen is getting a little better, Teixiera and Cano are beginning to be hot, and A-Rod is settling in, and hitting home runs. We got more offense from Damon and Jeter, and Melky, Gardner, and Cervelli has stepped up. When Nady, and Posada are back, we got a great team, but Swisher needs to step up at home.

It's finally settlign down for the Yankees, the bullpen is getting a little better, Teixiera and Cano are beginning to be hot, and A-Rod is settling in, and hitting home runs. We got more offense from Damon and Jeter, and Melky, Gardner, and Cervelli has stepped up. When Nady, and Posada are back, we got a great team, but Swisher needs to step up at home.

No offense kid but the '08 Yankees are not a great team. The 1998 championship team of Bernie, Brochus, O Neil, etc was a 'great' team:).

The Bombers are hot. Yankees beat Birds 7-4 for 9th Straight win.Back on 'on field action.' Yankees win 8th staright 7-4 over the Orioles last night. Yanks play the Champion Phillies while Mets visit Red Sox

Off topic. The 2008 World Series schedule was offically released. For first time ever the 'regularlly schedulded' world series could end in November?

Game #7 is set for Thursday Nov. 5. Have fun its held in Denver, Detroit, Boston or dozens of other cities.

Some Good news is that MLB chief Bud Selig announced this week weekenight world series '1st pitch' will begin at around 8pm Eastern(Fox pre game at 730pm) and Sunday WS game #4 at 750pm. This is reply to two issues. One was the lowest rated WS from last year (Phillies-Rays)ever shown in the US and also viewer complaints from mainly the East Coast games ending very late.

Selig also said he looking into possiblity of an late afternoon start time (east coast time)for game #3 for Halloween(Oct. 31)with 1st pitch begin no later than around 730pm. Reactions to early Novemeber World Series now becoming permemanet?

Last Question for now from me.Does anyone still enjoy 'interleague' other than Yanks-Mets or Cubs-White Sox?

Archived