Why Are Most Yards in The Bronx Bad at Maintaining Cars?

Maserati7200

The R142A's from Westchester Yard and R142's from East 180th street yard are in very bad condition, its horrible. At this point, I believe the R62's/R62A's are in better condition than the R142/A's. Everytime I ride an IRT NTT, its extremely dirty -- both inside and out, the bucking is horrible, the brakes are getting worse as we speak. Now if you're one of those anti-NTT people you might say "oh its because the NTT's don' last long and now they are breaking". Well the R143's, which have been here the same amount of time, are doing great last time I checked. Now the (1) uses a yard in the Bronx and its cars are good, so the culprits are Westchester and East 180th. Now the question is.. why? Does anyone high up in the MTA realize what is going on? The R142/A's lives are being shortened because of this. Why aren't they yards doing their job?

I think the E180th ST yard has the best maintnence in the IRT. They keep thier cars in like new condidtion, the (4) and (7) lines yards don't come far behind. As for the worst I'd say Livonia yard, nearly every R62 trainset on the (3) has an dead motor. As for the (6) line yard I'd think there OK some of their cars are really clean (Well on the outside at least).

Btw E180 st 142's have an higher MDBF than the (1) line's R62A's so actually E180th st barn is better.

Also NYCT doesn't clean the cars during the winter months because ice can build up and cause unsafe condidtions for T/O's who have to do put-ins.

Generally speaking, the East 180 Street Yard (2)(5) does a good job cleaning the R142 cars, as well as the R142 and R142A cars in the Jerome Avenue Yard. (4) The yard the (6) is stored, not so much, people tell me those cars from the Westchester Yard are really not that good of a condition.

so what do you think about 239 street yrd of (2) doing.

are they taking caring of their of R142.

i spotted (6) r142A sometimes:

Unionport yard

East 180 street yrd

207 street overhaulshop

239 street yard

i believe (6) R142A are good in condition

R142A on (6) line go to many train storage yrd

that what you talking about

in 1998 - 2003 i use to see;

R62's that use to run on (4) line.

i think get car inspection form westchester yard

last month i saw R142 of (2) , (5) get car inpesction

from westchester yard.

isnt R142 , of (2) , (5) get car washed at Westchetser yrd.

i usually see R142A of (6) stored at unionport yard.

get car washed at unionport yard/ east 180 street yrd

or 207 street overhaul shop

Generally speaking, the East 180 Street Yard (2)(5) does a good job cleaning the R142 cars, as well as the R142 and R142A cars in the Jerome Avenue Yard. (4) The yard the (6) is stored, not so much, people tell me those cars from the Westchester Yard are really not that good of a condition.

Heh, yeah. I was at 86th on the Lex express today, and several R142As upstairs on the (6) were screeching into the station as loudly as R32s. The R142As on the (4) were fine.

I've actually met the supt up there at E180 once (he probably wouldn't remember though), but trust me he really does care about those cars...they do a good job with them

I gotta say something in defense of those folks that you claim are doing a poor job.

Have you ever been to hoboken terminal in NJ? If not, perhaps the next time there's a snow storm you could head over there and see what the trains look like. They are FILTHY in winter. They don't risk ice forming in bad places from the car washer. Most they will do is take a mop to the windows. Even amtrak does this, and you can tell the difference. On the inside, same deal, just not worth cleaning a car 100% squeaky clean. The salt and muck builds up too much to do a very very thorough cleaning of all surfaces, however they don't get too bad.

In summer, i often get trains fresh from the car washer with water still dripping off them and totally grime-free floors. I am not sure how many car washers (NJT) has, but you can't expect a trenton turned train to be totally clean when the car washer & cleaning crew is up at the MMC. I belive cleaning crews ARE located at morisville yard however, so trains that go there before being turned are obviously going to have a cleaner interior than ones turned right at trenton.

:cool:

- A

what is most problem with subway maintence yard on westchester yrd.?

there is no problem with westchester yard. they are taking care

of R142A properly. 1. do you miss R62A use to run on (6) line.

If so. that mean you want to see R62A come back to (6) line.

because westchester yrd take care of r62A properly.

it will better ( i saying for nor reason)

that R142 bench seat be put on

R62A #2020 , #2154 , #1939 , #2101

R142 bench that or if be put on R62A.

will remind of R142 cars.

7 line could use some R142 bench seat

on #2020 , #2154 , #1939 , #2101

what is most problem with subway maintence yard on westchester yrd.?

there is no problem with westchester yard. they are taking care

of R142A properly. 1. do you miss R62A use to run on (6) line.

If so. that mean you want to see R62A come back to (6) line.

because westchester yrd take care of r62A properly.

They are coming baaaaack........

Archived