For T/O's and C/R's.. how exactly does scheduling and days off work?

duelingdragons

Depending on their needs,most people go to the B.My class was about 80 or 90 people if I'm not mistaken and only 10 went to the B!They called the people in the inside first(I passed on it).

lol i wish there was an interviewing process for getting this job. I'm severely nervous about this all riding on a single exam. But then again i guess that means all I have to do is prove I have common sense. I just feel like maybe my chances would go up if i could speak with a hiring manager and sell them on the idea of bringing me aboard.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the moves refer to switching in any sort of way...I was confused as to whether a control on the train is what makes it able to switch from track to track or whether there's some sorta central location that handles switches like they do for signals. Only recently have I settled on the fact that someone else controls the switching. Still doesn't change my decision though. I wanna put myself through the strict big brother first.
The tower controls the tracks(switches) depending on where you are,signal wise you'll get a bottom yellow crossing you over to another route.In yur case,BIG BROTHER will switch you over to another route if need be.

lol i wish there was an interviewing process for getting this job. I'm severely nervous about this all riding on a single exam. But then again i guess that means all I have to do is prove I have common sense. I just feel like maybe my chances would go up if i could speak with a hiring manager and sell them on the idea of bringing me aboard.
My bad...only 10 went to the A!

That sounds good but you gotta wait in line like everyone else.:(You must first pass the exam playboy!Let's take it one step at a time,it's no rush!As I can see yur pretty young and that's a BIG advantage you have over alot of knuckle-heads out here doing nothing.When they call u,you will get a medical and fill out some more paper-work.You will get interviewed but it isn't a REAL interview so to speak.You don't have to sell yurself to a big boss or anything like that to get the job.

That sounds good but you gotta wait in line like everyone else.:(You must first pass the exam playboy!Let's take it one step at a time,it's no rush!As I can see yur pretty young and that's a BIG advantage you have over alot of knuckle-heads out here doing nothing.When they call u,you will get a medical and fill out some more paper-work.You will get interviewed but it isn't a REAL interview so to speak.You don't have to sell yurself to a big boss or anything like that to get the job.

Ok...I wonder if I'm the youngest person to apply for the exam. I'm definitely going to wait. I just know myself well enough to know that I'm gonna be on pins and needles for a while...then i'll probably forget about it at some point and that will be the day I get the call/letter. Which will have the effect of having me stop whatever it is im doing to answer this.

The harder division to learn and work is the B division. It has many more lines to learn and tons of moves that can be made. The A division is very easy, it's like a mini-railroad. They are just more strict these days.

What kind of moves can you make on the BMT/IND that you can't make on the IRT?

Ok...I wonder if I'm the youngest person to apply for the exam. I'm definitely going to wait. I just know myself well enough to know that I'm gonna be on pins and needles for a while...then i'll probably forget about it at some point and that will be the day I get the call/letter. Which will have the effect of having me stop whatever it is im doing to answer this.
Yeh,they always call when you forget about it.It took them 5-6 years to call me...I know,that sux.:P I'm kinda happy I got in when I did because now you have to compete with soooooooo many people.What's the age limit?

Haha, nah you're definitely not the youngest, Julio's younger than you and if it turns out I'm eligible (I'm right on the border of the 5 year requirement), I am too. But in all seriousness there will be some 16 year old foamers taking the test..using that homemade lemonade stand they worked the past 3 summers as work experience...along with 2 years of high school...and yes they're wasting their filing fee...:P

What kind of moves can you make on the BMT/IND that you can't make on the IRT?

Tons of moves!

The B division has tons of relay and spur tracks where moves can be done. The routes in the B division have many places where you can take the wrong line up and go the wrong way. The A division is pretty simple in comparison.

School car for the B is 6 months for the A it's much shorter.

Has anyone ever actually gone the wrong way? It seems pretty straight forward to me.

It happens constantly. Straight forward it is not. For example 59th st. southbound (D) and (A) trains need different lineups bottom green for 8th ave. bottom yellow for 6th ave. This is just one example ther are many places like this on different lines.

The tower operators are human and sometimes make a mistake with your line up BUT it's not considered a mistake until you take that wrong line up. The A division is pretty straight forward much less places to go wrong.

I never imagined a train taking the wrong route before. Any stories or advice on how not to make that mistake?

A few years ago I was traveling from one work location to another and I was on a southbound (V) and at 5th avenue the train took the (E) lineup and we went down 8th ave.

I noticed right away so I pulled my radio out of my back and heard the T/O bangin' himself into control and the C/R started making some great announcements, "due to police activity this train has been rerouted down 8th ave, we will go back onto our regular route at west 4th"

In this situation you can get back onto your correct route but in alot of places once you go wrong you cannot get back.

Wow...on the subject of lineup. At the WTC when my train is about to pull off, I hear someone over the speaker talking about lineup. Is that a way of saying "Ok to go?"

They started doing that because a T/O on either the (V) or (R) at CTL didn't have the line up to leave the station. He had red over red but the C/R got the starting lights and gave indication to the T/O who proceded to leave the station at full speed. The train obviously went BIE and it caused major delays and they started that nonsense of the C/R asking you if you have the lineup.

I've seen signs (some handwritten) that say "KNOW YOUR ROUTE!"
That's VERY important! Wrong line-ups can get you into alot of trouble.Certain places the tower can cover it up because they get burnt too, so it's in their best interest to help out.Nobody wan'ts to go down and p*ss in the cup!!:(

A few years ago I was traveling from one work location to another and I was on a southbound (V) and at 5th avenue the train took the (E) lineup and we went down 8th ave.

I noticed right away so I pulled my radio out of my back and heard the T/O bangin' himself into control and the C/R started making some great announcements, "due to police activity this train has been rerouted down 8th ave, we will go back onto our regular route at west 4th"

In this situation you can get back onto your correct route but in alot of places once you go wrong you cannot get back.

LOL @ the C/R trying to cover their tracks (no pun intended) =)

Archived