For T/O's and C/R's.. how exactly does scheduling and days off work?

duelingdragons

How far ahead of time do you know your schedule?

I know you pretty much CAN'T pick to have certain days off, and that due to seniority, newbs get stuck with the bad shifts, but can you explain exactly how it works?

I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to have any semblance of a social life once I finally get in.

Thanks =)

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The MTA will own you and have you by the balls. You won't have a social life for a LONGGG time. They just stick you where ever they feel like.

Sounds like a girlfriend but this one earns me money instead of taking it away. :eek:

Haha nice.. but I already have a fianceé.. so this job will have me by the balls and GIVE me money, and she'll have me by the balls and take it away. =\

Will I at least know my schedule ahead of time so I can plan for stuff?

I don't mind making money and working long hours, but I would at least like to plan...

How far ahead of time do you know your schedule?

I know you pretty much CAN'T pick to have certain days off, and that due to seniority, newbs get stuck with the bad shifts, but can you explain exactly how it works?

I'm trying to figure out if I'll be able to have any semblance of a social life once I finally get in.

Thanks =)

You will belong to the "SCREW ROOM"!!(crew room) Enjoy yur life now...You WILL work holidays,week-ends,yur birthday etc. Yur social life will be shot!The (MTA) will be yur new family!!!At the start of yur career you WILL be xtra xtra.This means the "SCREW ROOM" will send you anywhere in the system to work.;) Yur days off may change as well as yur shift.You WILL work diff. hours everyday.The ONLY good thing about this, is you will know where yur going 2 days in advanced.You WILL be the only one at the beach on a tuesday afternoon...:cool: As you get more seniority,you can pick a steady job and kinda have some stability.You gotta make it work for you...I aint gonna lie,it can be rough tho.Oh I forgot-it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a day off in this dept.:mad::tdown: Still wanna join??:)

You will belong to the "SCREW ROOM"!!(crew room) Enjoy yur life now...You WILL work holidays,week-ends,yur birthday etc. Yur social life will be shot!The (MTA) will be yur new family!!!At the start of yur career you WILL be xtra xtra.This means the "SCREW ROOM" will send you anywhere in the system to work.;) Yur days off may change as well as yur shift.You WILL work diff. hours everyday.The ONLY good thing about this, is you will know where yur going 2 days in advanced.You WILL be the only one at the beach on a tuesday afternoon...:cool: As you get more seniority,you can pick a steady job and kinda have some stability.You gotta make it work for you...I aint gonna lie,it can be rough tho.Oh I forgot-it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a day off in this dept.:mad::tdown: Still wanna join??:)

The kiddos that are applying because they like playing BVE are in for a very rude awakening if they make it to the MTA.

That doesn't scare me one bit. LOL bring it on. It kinda sounds sorta like waiting tables as far as shifts go. I'm glad someone asked tho because I was wondering this myself. Are there pay differentials for working weekends/holidays? I know working as a Home Health Aide we got a 1.15 extra for working on weekends. Not that I'd have a problem working weekends really. I must be strange for being willing to toss what social life i have for this experience.

The crew office is who gives your assignments. The crew room is where you spend your down time and eat your meals.

The most important thing to remember is the extreme length of time it takes to move as a T/O up the seniority list. C/R's move very quickly because they have alot more promotional chances.

I'll give some examples as of right now in the B division. If you want to work a.m.'s to get the entire weekend off you need about 19 years in title. For a piece of the weekend you need 16 years.

To get any of your vacation in the summer you need at least 13 years in title. To get your vacation on ANY week that the schools are closed and your kids are home you need at least 13 years.

To get christmas week or thanksgiving week off for vacation you need 21 years in title.

If you like working in the afternoon which gives you NO life at all these times do come down a bit. Family life really suffers for the first 5 years minimum especially if you have kids and like to spend time with them. Much like the NYPD the TA breeds divorce!!

As for the differential yes you get night differential for all hours worked from about 1900-0600 and the entire weekend. But there is a catch our night differential isn't the 10% that even a Mcdonalds worker gets. We get much less.

What Nascar said about not being able to get a day off is very very true!!! It is almost imposible to get a weekend day off. You have to request the day exactly at midnight 20 days in advance to even have a chance, for people that work at night they may not be available right at midnight so they are at a disadvantage. This is a BIG reason that most B/O's go back, in the depot's it is very easy to get a day off as is the case in EVERY other department besides RTO.

Let's see...im a single guy with nobody of interest at the moment, still in school age of 23...most of my friends are too busy anyway to be social. Hmmm....I think I'll be ok provided I get the chance to have this job. Besides if I'm really lucky I'll make some decent friends on the job. I see most T/Os have a backpack. Is that where they keep their munchies and such in case they get hungry on the job?

Could be much worse. Train Engineers for freight companies are on call 24/7, when they are called in to work, they need to be there within two hours, no matter what they are doing or where they are.

Let's see...im a single guy with nobody of interest at the moment, still in school age of 23...most of my friends are too busy anyway to be social. Hmmm....I think I'll be ok provided I get the chance to have this job. Besides if I'm really lucky I'll make some decent friends on the job. I see most T/Os have a backpack. Is that where they keep their munchies and such in case they get hungry on the job?

That's were they carry all the stuff the MTA requires the train crew to have on them at all times.

Could be much worse. Train Engineers for freight companies are on call 24/7, when they are called in to work, they need to be there within two hours, no matter what they are doing or where they are.

It's completely different. They get ALOT more time off of the job than we do and more pay.

But you're right it could be worse, it used to be worse. Now they let you know your job 2 days in advance. This just started with a new automated system about 4 years ago. Before that you got your jobs the day before only.

It's completely different. They get ALOT more time off of the job than we do and more pay.

But you're right it could be worse, it used to be worse. Now they let you know your job 2 days in advance. This just started with a new automated system about 4 years ago. Before that you got your jobs the day before only.

They get more time off due to the FRA. No wonder the MTA doesn't want anything to do with the FRA.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

They get more time off due to the FRA. No wonder the MTA doesn't want anything to do with the FRA.

Exactly! Then the TA would be forced to give the proper amount of "recovery" time away from the cab.

You will belong to the "SCREW ROOM"!!(crew room) Enjoy yur life now...You WILL work holidays,week-ends,yur birthday etc. Yur social life will be shot!The (MTA) will be yur new family!!!At the start of yur career you WILL be xtra xtra.This means the "SCREW ROOM" will send you anywhere in the system to work.:) Yur days off may change as well as yur shift.You WILL work diff. hours everyday.The ONLY good thing about this, is you will know where yur going 2 days in advanced.You WILL be the only one at the beach on a tuesday afternoon...:cool: As you get more seniority,you can pick a steady job and kinda have some stability.You gotta make it work for you...I aint gonna lie,it can be rough tho.Oh I forgot-it's nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get a day off in this dept.:mad::tdown: Still wanna join??:)

Heh...as unbelievable as this sounds, that will actually be a SLIGHT improvement on my current situation. i'd be taking a sizeable pay cut, but i'd probably work less hours total, I'd be guaranteed to be working within city limits, and no matter how weird the hours i'd have time to have some semblance of a life what so ever. plus if i had to stay late i'd get overtime differential something i don't currently get b/c this is a salary position and we've already basically been told we're not getting a raise this yr b/c of the economy. basically i am pocketing all that i can from this job until i am ready to move on...hard to get days off around here too, the only time they like us taking vacation is in the summer or christmas, you will get absolutely nothing in the spring no matter what, and you will really have to fight to maybe get a day in the fall...

the only time they like us taking vacation is in the summer or christmas, you will get absolutely nothing in the spring no matter what, and you will really have to fight to maybe get a day in the fall...

Enjoy those summer vacations while you can.

There is a bright side when you get enough seniority you can pick what, where, when you want to work with the days off that you want. I haven't gotten there yet though and it does seem like the day will never come sometimes.

What kills this title are the lack of promotional opportunities and the age restriction on retirement. Because of these 2 things the seniority list moves very very slowly.

If you have no kids you can very easily deal with the terrible schedule for the first 5 or so years.

Metro north, LIRR and the SIR use FRA rules.

They are all railroads. That's how the TA gets around it by not allowing the system to be classified as a railroad. They say it's because they don't cross county lines or leave the 5 boroughs.

I'm pretty sure they cross county lines though.

Either way the TA would be screwed if the system was ever reclassified. They DON'T want to have to follow the proper rules at all times only when it's convenient. The FRA has alot more protections for employees.

Besides TSS, what positions can T/O's be promoted to?

Only TSS and T/D. TSS is one of the titles that they hire the least of out of all supervisor titles and T/D was broadbanded a few years ago to bebefit the TA.

ATD is a really easy supervisory position but we can't promote to it because it would be a pay cut.

Archived