(GG) R-10

(J) R-27/30, R-42

(LL) R-16, R-27/30, R-42

(M)/<QB> R-27/30, R-42

(N) R-32, R-46

(JFK) R-46

Franklin Ave Shuttle (S) R-27/30

(RR)/<R> R-27/30, R-32, R-42

The only time I saw an R-10 on the (D) was Summer of 1978. It did handle the 6th Avenue deepbore express very loud and well.

For the summers of '78 and '79 I commuted from Flushing to downtown Brooklyn, and would always be sure to get a (:) or (D) express between 42nd Street and West 4th Street. The variations were:

-(B): R-27,32,38,42

-(D): R-27,32,42,44

When I returned to the city from college upstate Summer of 1980, I thought I was seeing things! One weekday afternoon, I got an R-10 on the (E) and an R-46 on the (CC)(!!!), a complete reversal of what we had become accustomed to. Of course, that's when the R-46s were still undergoing an overhaul, so they were probably best suited to the (CC), which was rush hours only its enitre length at the time. Caught a 46 on the (D) as well; back then it was much more distinguishable from the R-44, which still had its' feeble low-pitched door chime, which can still be heard on the SIR.

When the (GG) and (N) shared Continental Avenue, after the AM rush, the (N) service would be cut down from 8 cars to 4 cars and added up again for the PM rush. Many times the cut would be made in the station on the southbound track. If it was an R32 or 46, 4 cars would run as an (N) and the other 4 cars would run as a (GG). An R10 would not be cut (in the early 80s I remember them as 7 car trains) and remain in (GG) service. One day I remember an R27 came from Stillwell (N), while on the s/b there was a problem cutting a train so it was sent out as 8 cars and there was now a need for a train for (GG) service. The dispatcher "borrowed" the R27 and ran it as a (GG) for one trip.

The (E),(F) and (G) were a mix of R-10s and 32s, and I distinctly remember seeing an R-38 on the (E) for the first time since the early 70s. In 1980-81, before the 38 became a staple on the (A), it could be found mostly on the (AA) and (B), but sometimes on the (M) and (N) as well!

To paraphrase Forrest Gump, "You never knew what you were gonna get."

(B)It was September of this year, when I started riding the trains by myself for the first time, to school everyday. But this was only from Newkirk to Brighton Beach. So all I really saw was the (D)(M)<Q>. The (D) was 42's and 44's (with the occasional 27/30 "treat". I did not know the difference between the 44's and 46's until the 44's were gone that winter, and only the 46's remained, on the (E) and (F), as I slowly began exploring and expanding beyond the school trips. (I even thought they were all 46's, and that the 42's were 44's, and that the 40M's were 42's, for years to come. It was the following year I began noticing the whistle of the 46's, and the different cab door, and that it was made by Pullman Standard instead of St Louis Car, but thought they were both versions of the 46).

Even the 32's were gone or hard to find on the Brighton at that time. They basically came back when the 44's left. So the (M)/<Q> were mostly 27/30 and 42's.

Havign missed most of those changes, I never saw anything but 10's on the (C), and while the (F) had 32's and other stuff at first, when the 46's were all back in, the (E) and (F) were solidly 46's. The (N) would remain all 32's for another year or so after that. The (G) would be both 10's and 32's. So all the 10's were on the (C) and (G). Strictly IND. I always imagined hat it would be like to see a 10 sitting in the middle of Brighton Beach, and I would run like never before to catch it. But apparently that must have been all before Sept., if they really ran there. Never saw them on the (:) either, and the (B) didn't get slants either until the following year. I didn't see any 38's on the (A) either until they all moved there for good a couple of years later. Inbetween, they would spread to all the "south" lines, including the (M)<Q>(R)! they basically fit in with the 32's anyway, and were more like them pre-GOH. But then they would suddenly disappear.

(B)It was September of this year, when I started riding the trains by myself for the first time, to school everyday. But this was only from Newkirk to Brighton Beach. So all I really saw was the (D)(M)<Q>. The (D) was 42's and 44's (with the occasional 27/30 "treat". I did not know the difference between the 44's and 46's until the 44's were gone that winter, and only the 46's remained, on the (E) and (F), as I slowly began exploring and expanding beyond the school trips. (I even thought they were all 46's, and that the 42's were 44's, and that the 40M's were 42's, for years to come. It was the following year I began noticing the whistle of the 46's, and the different cab door, and that it was made by Pullman Standard instead of St Louis Car, but thought they were both versions of the 46).

Even the 32's were gone or hard to find on the Brighton at that time. They basically came back when the 44's left. So the (M)/<Q> were mostly 27/30 and 42's.

Havign missed most of those changes, I never saw anything but 10's on the (C), and while the (F) had 32's and other stuff at first, when the 46's were all back in, the (E) and (F) were solidly 46's. The (N) would remain all 32's for another year or so after that. The (G) would be both 10's and 32's. So all the 10's were on the (C) and (G). Strictly IND. I always imagined hat it would be like to see a 10 sitting in the middle of Brighton Beach, and I would run like never before to catch it. But apparently that must have been all before Sept., if they really ran there. Never saw them on the (:P either, and the (:) didn't get slants either until the following year. I didn't see any 38's on the (A) either until they all moved there for good a couple of years later. Inbetween, they would spread to all the "south" lines, including the (M)<Q>(R)! they basically fit in with the 32's anyway, and were more like them pre-GOH. But then they would suddenly disappear.

Good! Thanks for sharing. :tup:

• 10 months later...

The 70(AA) and (:P often shared fleets, 8 car trains of R32's or R42's. The (H) didn't exist in 1980, it was called the 70(CC) and used 70(CC) cars, usually R10, occasional R32's. The (M) and 70(QB) often shared cars, to the point that many 70(QB) runs would be cancelled and the cars used to plug gaps in 70(M) service. The 70(N) and 70(D) were the only joint-division routes to use 600' cars. Until 1986, the 70(AA), (:P, 70(RR)/® and <Q>/70(QB) used 8 car trains, just like the ©/(J)/(M)/(L)/(Z) do today.

I think the 70(N) used 4 or 8 60' MUs until around 1986-1987 as I recall (except of course when R46's were assigned; then it would be 4, or 6 MUs as I recall). I think only southern division services to use full length trains were the 70(D) and 70(F). The (B), 70(N), (M) and <Q> used 4 or 8 MUs until 1986-1987. After 1986-1987, the Southern Division began using 10 car trains.

There was a City Councilmemeber named Carol Bellamy who was instrumental in getting the TA to expand the number of cars in that same time period. This was also the time that the first rebuilt slants from Sumitomo came for West End service. Gunn was TA honcho at that time and there was a ceremony for the first train of rebuilt cars in April or May 1987 at the 62nd Street BMT Station (B)(M). I have some old photos; one day I will get around to scanning them.

i remember the (E) haing the r-10s when it went to rockaway park and before the world trade center thwe stop was called hudson terminal all i remember on the (F) is 46s and i remember the (D) being al 44s and the (C) have 10s and the (N) being 32s with an occasional 46 and the (R)® was 40s/42s slants

Archived