Things of Interest at Concourse Yard, 3/19

R10 2952

Today, as I was walking slowly along the bridge that crosses Concourse Yard, heading towards the bus stop from the (4) train, I studied the retired cars in the southern half of the yard intently. Among other things, there is a long line of R-38s, R-40Ms, and R-42s on the siding closest to the Bedford Park Blvd (4) station, right under the trees. At the end of the track, in the corner of the yard, stood two R40Ms. Now most of these cars, when viewed from a distance, are dirty and have a rust-colored hue to them. These two R40Ms, however were VERY, VERY shiny, and had extensively repainted roofs. They were almost as shiny as the R-160s, and contrasted completely from their derelict and decrepit brothers. Could it be that they are preparing these two R40Ms for the museum? I'd be very interested to know.(:((D)

I also thought it would be R40S, but if you look carefully and closely enough, then you will see that these are not Slants. They do not have the prominent nose...

well according to the Datasheet, car numbered: 4192 4193 is preserved for musuem

http://docs.google.com/View?docid=d268djb_4f2wsg5kp

and those are slopes.. So i belivie the ones u r seeing might just be there for storage, not so sure..

I believe some other people have stated that 4192-3 were sunk already, which matches my recollection. I am not certain enough to make any definitive statements here.

While the people doing the datasheet do a tremendous job, such is hard to keep entirely correct, especially considering the fluid nature of car assignments.

Archived