The SAS Launch Box (03/29/09 – possible 56K)

R32 3348

Since the launch box is only blocks away from my school, I’ll be taking pics of progress every few weeks or so. I took these pics on a Sunday, so there are no workers seen in these pics.

DSCF3849.jpg

DSCF3850.jpg

DSCF3852.jpg

DSCF3854.jpg

DSCF3855.jpg

DSCF3857.jpg

View from the sidewalk. The things they put up to block the view at the fence are for protection, to stop debris from going to the sidewalk.

DSCF3858.jpg

DSCF3860.jpg

DSCF3863.jpg

Decking installed when work was done on the west side. This is the roof of the launch box and will also probably be installed on the east side.

DSCF3865.jpg

DSCF3867.jpg

DSCF3871.jpg

DSCF3874.jpg

DSCF3875.jpg

Looks like it’ll take another year…

DSCF3876.jpg

DSCF3877.jpg

DSCF3891.jpg

DSCF3898.jpg

DSCF3904.jpg

Comments are welcome, enjoy!

The 2 most time-consuming parts of building any underground rail line are the stations and utility relocation.

Take a look at ESA. Boring started early last year. Today, they are more than half done with the Manhattan tunnels. The station will take at least 2-3 years to build.

The 2 most time-consuming parts of building any underground rail line are the stations and utility relocation.

Take a look at ESA. Boring started early last year. Today, they are more than half done with the Manhattan tunnels. The station will take at least 2-3 years to build.

Indeed.

Last I heard they had already reached GCT.

Yes, utility relocation and the station construction does take a while. The TBM should arrive around next year.

A boring lunchbox!

Sorry, someone had to say it!:cool:

Very cool photos & good coverage, keep us posted! :tup:

- A

I used that joke too! Last year I would be like: "Kris, how's the lunch box?"

The TBM will be in place much sooner than 2010. 2010 is the completion date of Contract 1, which essentially consists of the tunnelling from 96-72nd. I am under the impression that Contract 1 is a bit behind schedule. Contracts 2 3 and 4 do not entirely rely on Contract 1 being completed, so those can still be worked on while Contract 1 is being completed.

SAS will open after Contract 6 is completed in 2014.

Well, the power source IS the launch box, and the launch box will be finished probably by September. What I heard from Subchat is that the TBM will be delivered on-site during September, and will bore down to 72nd by late Summer 2010. Sounds doable. Boring usually goes relatively fast. They just need to finish relocating utilities. I think they will take 2 or so months to finish relocating, another month to do the decking and finish surface jobs, and then the rest of the time to September to excavate under the Launch box down to 75 feet deep.

Well, the power source IS the launch box, and the launch box will be finished probably by September. What I heard from Subchat is that the TBM will be delivered on-site during September, and will bore down to 72nd by late Summer 2010. Sounds doable. Boring usually goes relatively fast. They just need to finish relocating utilities. I think they will take 2 or so months to finish relocating, another month to do the decking and finish surface jobs, and then the rest of the time to September to excavate under the Launch box down to 75 feet deep.

I mean I thought they need some electricity for the thing.

Archived