Would Metro-North Benefit From DMUs?

larsmars223

I was just thinking about the British Rail Class 170 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Scotrail_170.jpg), the Class 158 (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/de/158952_at_Newport.jpg) and the Class 153 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:153335_%27Michael_Palin%27_at_Cambridge.JPG) and wondering if instead on push-pull trains, MN used trains like these on their services to poughkeepsie, from croton-harmon. Do any of you think that this could possibly be a good idea?

Only to augment current service, not replace. You could also have a shuttle to albany till amtrak gets wire up there, which may be sooner than expected if funding is allocated from the dot/fra.

- A

Only to augment current service, not replace. You could also have a shuttle to albany till amtrak gets wire up there, which may be sooner than expected if funding is allocated from the dot/fra.

- A

I'll say have DMUs run down the New Canaan branch and the other branch. EMUs could head straight to New Haven.

I would personally feel the MNR would benefit on these if they are running on lines like Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Lines. They are lines with short service and doesn't require so many trains.

There are plans in place to increase service. There's no way (NJT) is going to operate these out of hoboken. They have a new diesel capable loco order coming in soon.

- A

I would personally feel the MNR would benefit on these if they are running on lines like Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Lines. They are lines with short service and doesn't require so many trains.

Those lines are actually part of the NJT network. The lines north of the border are leased to MNR, IINM. Thus they would use whatever the NJT has for them.

I think DMU's would be great for the Danbury and Waterbury branches. Those lines used to run RDC's but given a combination of bad design and poor maintenance they were discontinued. It might not be a bad idea to revisit, especially with possible extension of train service to New Milford. I think that the DMU idea would have to wait until it was time to replace the Gennies and BL20GH's that are being used now, budgets being what they are.

I think DMU's would be great for the Danbury and Waterbury branches. Those lines used to run RDC's but given a combination of bad design and poor maintenance they were discontinued. It might not be a bad idea to revisit, especially with possible extension of train service to New Milford. I think that the DMU idea would have to wait until it was time to replace the Gennies and BL20GH's that are being used now, budgets being what they are.

I agree RDC revisited would be better than SPV2000 revisited. Conrail/reading ran RDC into newtown as late as 1983, but :septa: expressed a phobia of diesel maintenance, so they were shown the door.

I also think that since brookville has experience with multiple units, streetcars and the like, that they should be the primary supplier of the new RDC. Perhaps you could have them now, and expand service with them, and use them as sort of "fingers" to expand, and after schedules are established & if it seems to be drawing enough pax, you could bring in the gennies & BL20GH's. Then expand the next bit, till you have service restored to pre- PC days.

- A

• 1 month later...
I agree RDC revisited would be better than SPV2000 revisited. Conrail/reading ran RDC into newtown as late as 1983, but :septa: expressed a phobia of diesel maintenance, so they were shown the door.

I also think that since brookville has experience with multiple units, streetcars and the like, that they should be the primary supplier of the new RDC. Perhaps you could have them now, and expand service with them, and use them as sort of "fingers" to expand, and after schedules are established & if it seems to be drawing enough pax, you could bring in the gennies & BL20GH's. Then expand the next bit, till you have service restored to pre- PC days.

- A

As stated before, RDCs would be a cool choice on the Danbury/Waterbury branches. Speaking of the SPV-2000 though, the last time I caught a glimpse of one (it was two, actually) was on the NEC somewhere around Seacaucus, I believe they still had either Metro-North or Amtrak schemes, and were drenched in graff from the bottom to the windows, attached to hopper cars.

Strange sight, but I guess they were aiming towards DMU usage throughout the 80s, but it just didn't work out. I guess they're just work trains now(?)

The pair of SPV2000's at hudson yard are there for semi-permanent storage. They have been slated for a fate, but what fate that is remains unknown to me, all i know is that they are in working order, but as you could see for yourself, not in very good shape. I don't believe they have run under their own power to get somewhere in quite some time. They may have been towed there through NYP, or they could have been round-abouted farther upstate.

If anyone has any information on the pair please share!

- A

DMUs would be great for Metro-North, hands down. Seeing two-car trains pulled by Genesis locomotives looks quite wasteful -- and it probably is, too.

I don't see the need for Brookville to build an entirely new DMU from the ground up. I also don't think the RDC should be imitated -- that technology is over 60 years old. I'd rather see something along the lines of the Stadler DMUs used on the NJT RiverLINE, although any new DMUs for Metro-North would have to be high-floor, high-platform capable vehicles due to Metro-North's high platforms.

The pair of SPV2000's at hudson yard are there for semi-permanent storage. They have been slated for a fate, but what fate that is remains unknown to me, all i know is that they are in working order, but as you could see for yourself, not in very good shape. I don't believe they have run under their own power to get somewhere in quite some time. They may have been towed there through NYP, or they could have been round-abouted farther upstate.

If anyone has any information on the pair please share!

- A

I wish I could have gotten a picture of them. Not gonna lie, I wasn't only surprised to see the pair but surprised to see that they looked like a R30 in 1982. Covered in tags and some brightly colored throw-ups.

Had they worked, I bet they would have been perfectly suited for the Danbury line, or even something like the Montauk branch through Queens.

What type of problems did they have with them to the point where they were scrapped? To my knowledge, those old Budd RDCs are still in active use with some railways.

Basically, do DMU's make economic sense? In situations where a loco's power is wasted on only 1 or 2 cars, they make sense. I think they should be used on the Danbury and Waterbury branches, as well as the Wassaic shuttle. This would free up engines for other purposes.

DMU's could also be used on the LIRR Greenport Scoot.

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7A341 Safari/528.16)

I was suggesting brookville make a new generation RDC not just the same design back in production. Would be cool for a PA company to become a major power (motive) manufacturer once again.

The plus for any multiple unit is acceleration and DMU could be rerouted in emergencies unlike electric, because not everywhere has cat/3rd rail

- A

Archived