MetroCard Trade-In and Reuse

MAA89

I had been using the same Pay-Per-Ride MetroCard since November by refilling it when the balance ran low. The card's expiry date was August 31, 2009. Today when I tried to refill it, the MVM displayed the message that the expiry date is less than 28 days away and asked if I would like to trade-in the card. When I declined, I was not allowed to refill the card.

Why are cards with less than 28 days remaining on them not allowed to be refilled? It certainly cannot be a customer complaint issue: anyone who used the same card for nine months probably knows when the expiry date is, having read it on the back of the cards a hundred times. The card was not in a deteriorated state either. Why then did it not allow me to carry on refilling it till the last week of August?

On a related note, what can be done to get people to refill and reuse their cards as long as possible? It always saddens me when I see dozens or even hundreds of MetroCards, with six months or more left till expiry, littered all over station waiting areas and subway platforms. Should the MTA charge an extra fee, e.g. 5 cents to people trying to purchase a new MetroCard in order to force people to look for an old one that they would otherwise throw out? (The fee would be waived for those trading in MetroCards with less than a month remaining, encouraging prolonged use).

Actually I think reuse of unlimited cards would be an interesting idea. THey could be "refilled" ONLY once the day/7 day/15 day/30 day period expires. Some people doing it would be less wasteful than constantly giving new cards. All that would be needed is a new screen after hitting "get new card" and selecting "unlimited ride metrocard"

"Recharge an expired card"

OR

"Get brand new card"

Actually I think reuse of unlimited cards would be an interesting idea. THey could be "refilled" ONLY once the day/7 day/15 day/30 day period expires. Some people doing it would be less wasteful than constantly giving new cards. All that would be needed is a new screen after hitting "get new card" and selecting "unlimited ride metrocard"

OR

"Get brand new card"

I agree also.

PATH Smartlink Cards are so helpful, because you refill regular PATH trips or unlimited PATH Pass.

Unlimited MetroCard should be just like PATH Smartlink Card that could refill MetroCard or add Unlimited Trips on MetroCard.

OR

"Get brand new card"

That's a good idea too. An average person should not have to go through more than 3 or 4 MetroCards a year (maybe one intermittently used Pay-Per-Ride and 2 or 3 refilled Unlimited Ride cards).

While this is a great idea, I think the MTA wants the unlimited riders to use the ExpressPay Metrocards. You stick with that card until it expires and they'll mail you a new one. But I agree, I think there should be this option...OR go forward with the SmartCard program.

While this is a great idea, I think the MTA wants the unlimited riders to use the ExpressPay Metrocards. You stick with that card until it expires and they'll mail you a new one. But I agree, I think there should be this option...OR go forward with the SmartCard program.

I'm considering signing up for that card service once I start college this month. But the MTA should really do something about having customers use old cards over because scattered MetroCards all over the stations are really depressing.

But the MTA should really do something about having customers use old cards over because scattered MetroCards all over the stations are really depressing.

(MTA) can't do anything about that. It's up to the person. (MTA)'s not going to scan the Metrocard and say you cannot pass unless you refill the card...would be a nasty mess if they did.

I didn't know the EasyPay Express MetroCard had an Unlimited Ride version, but just found it did. I'll sign up for it next month.

By the way, I hope someone can answer my first question about MetroCard trade-in and refill date limits.

I didn't know the EasyPay Express MetroCard had an Unlimited Ride version, but just found it did. I'll sign up for it next month.

By the way, I hope someone can answer my first question about MetroCard trade-in and refill date limits.

Easy-Pay Express only has 30-Day Unlimited. You need to have two credit/debit card accounts.

http://mta.info/metrocard/EasyPayXpress.htm

I just don't understand the whole "expiration date" thing, these aren't credit or debit cards. I must have two or three there I got some message saying to see the agent, or what you posted above, I can't remember. There was only about $4 on them, but I had used and reused the card all year. I should still get them to send me the money, though.

I know this must be illegal, but one day I remember seeing this bum literally with the whole trash bag from a nearby can in hand, next to the turnstyle, swiping every card he dug out. I also absolutely HATE it when some jacka$$ really thinks I'm going to buy his metrocard off him. Leave me alone, go to Manhattan and swindle the midwestern tourist if you must. (We all know selling a metrocard is illegal, too.)

ALSO, for the record, one day earlier this year when I was really tight on cash and put exactly $2 into the machine for my card, it spit the card back out with $0 still. UGH!!!! Nothing I could do. ( (MTA)'s own swindle. )

I just don't understand the whole "expiration date" thing, these aren't credit or debit cards. I must have two or three there I got some message saying to see the agent, or what you posted above, I can't remember. There was only about $4 on them, but I had used and reused the card all year. I should still get them to send me the money, though.

I know this must be illegal, but one day I remember seeing this bum literally with the whole trash bag from a nearby can in hand, next to the turnstyle, swiping every card he dug out. I also absolutely HATE it when some jacka$$ really thinks I'm going to buy his metrocard off him. Leave me alone, go to Manhattan and swindle the midwestern tourist if you must. (We all know selling a metrocard is illegal, too.)

ALSO, for the record, one day earlier this year when I was really tight on cash and put exactly $2 into the machine for my card, it spit the card back out with $0 still. UGH!!!! Nothing I could do. ( (MTA)'s own swindle. )

Yeah, that happened to me, I refilled a $4.50 MetroCard and the machine took the money and the card had nothing on it. I went to 3 Stone Street and they said I have to wait three weeks! :mad:

Yeah, that happened to me, I refilled a $4.50 MetroCard and the machine took the money and the card had nothing on it. I went to 3 Stone Street and they said I have to wait three weeks! :mad:

oh, snap.

they're up to something mischievous.

Should the MTA charge an extra fee, e.g. 5 cents to people trying to purchase a new MetroCard in order to force people to look for an old one that they would otherwise throw out? (The fee would be waived for those trading in MetroCards with less than a month remaining, encouraging prolonged use).

I dont like the idea of the MTA or any Govt agency trying to tax people to change ones behavior. If people want to throw out metrocards when they are out of money instead of reuse em, whats the big deal?

Because they can't let cards expire with a balance.

- A

If my card expires with a balance, then that's my problem. I thought the (MTA) would be glad I got a refill that I didn't need, or couldn't use in time for me to beat the expiry date. Besides, I was denied a refill on August 3 for a card that expires on August 31. August 3 to 31 inclusive is 29 days, not 28. I should be allowed to refill until at least a week before expiry (its for the MTA's own good, they need to spend less on cleaning up litter and on printing new cards).

I dont like the idea of the MTA or any Govt agency trying to tax people to change ones behavior. If people want to throw out metrocards when they are out of money instead of reuse em, whats the big deal?

Knowing people's behavior, it might actually be a useful way to raise revenues. Come to think of it, most taxes on consumption, especially those on tobacco, alcohol and luxury goods, are meant (in principle) to curtail spending on these items, yet governments know that some people will spend large sums on them, and use the opportunity to raise revenues.

Most lower and middle income people will never object to a capital gains tax or estate (inheritance) tax, while the rich will. Whether you support a tax/levy or not depends on your perspective. As a subway user and card re-user, I feel there should be a charge for a new card except one traded-in for an old or damaged card.

Knowing that most people will get new cards every now and then (with several more in the wallets or at home), means the MTA could increase revenues this way. If you don't like the tax, just re-use your old card.

Besides, there are costs to the MTA in terms of cleaning the litter of discarded cards, and in printing new ones. I also do not understand why people throw their cards where they do. There is a bin for used cards, usually attached to the card reader (where you can swipe to see your balance). In many stations, this is the only place where there are no cards disposed of. Those disposed elsewhere may become unfit for recycling. The apathy of many riders is just sad.

I never had any such experience. However, I have often paid a full fare on transferring to a bus from the subway, even though the transfer was within two hours. The card readers on some of the buses just don't work. Often they produce a "Read Error" message with Unlimited MetroCards that was used within 2 hours (but not within the 18 minute lockout). Most B/Os know this fact and let me on anyway.

I never had any such experience. However, I have often paid a full fare on transferring to a bus from the subway, even though the transfer was within two hours. The card readers on some of the buses just don't work. Often they produce a "Read Error" message with Unlimited MetroCards that was used within 2 hours (but not within the 18 minute lockout). Most B/Os know this fact and let me on anyway.

When it comes to Unlimited-Ride MetroCards does the two-hour transfer limit even apply anymore? You're basically paying less as long as you're always using it.

OR go forward with the SmartCard program.

Agreed. How much longer are we gonna stick with outdated technology like MetroCards for everyday use?

In the ideal world, there will be two versions of Smartcards: One for locals, and another version that requires a deposit. The second version would be for tourists, such that they can return it when they leave and get their deposit back, while the card can be reused.

Metrocards can stay around for single rides.

Agreed. How much longer are we gonna stick with outdated technology like MetroCards for everyday use?

In the ideal world, there will be two versions of Smartcards: One for locals, and another version that requires a deposit. The second version would be for tourists, such that they can return it when they leave and get their deposit back, while the card can be reused.

Metrocards can stay around for single rides.

I use the metrocard on PATH a whole lot.

- A

If my card expires with a balance, then that's my problem. I thought the (MTA) would be glad I got a refill that I didn't need, or couldn't use in time for me to beat the expiry date. Besides, I was denied a refill on August 3 for a card that expires on August 31. August 3 to 31 inclusive is 29 days, not 28. I should be allowed to refill until at least a week before expiry (its for the MTA's own good, they need to spend less on cleaning up litter and on printing new cards).

Knowing people's behavior, it might actually be a useful way to raise revenues. Come to think of it, most taxes on consumption, especially those on tobacco, alcohol and luxury goods, are meant (in principle) to curtail spending on these items, yet governments know that some people will spend large sums on them, and use the opportunity to raise revenues.

Most lower and middle income people will never object to a capital gains tax or estate (inheritance) tax, while the rich will. Whether you support a tax/levy or not depends on your perspective. As a subway user and card re-user, I feel there should be a charge for a new card except one traded-in for an old or damaged card.

Knowing that most people will get new cards every now and then (with several more in the wallets or at home), means the MTA could increase revenues this way. If you don't like the tax, just re-use your old card.

Besides, there are costs to the MTA in terms of cleaning the litter of discarded cards, and in printing new ones. I also do not understand why people throw their cards where they do. There is a bin for used cards, usually attached to the card reader (where you can swipe to see your balance). In many stations, this is the only place where there are no cards disposed of. Those disposed elsewhere may become unfit for recycling. The apathy of many riders is just sad.

New Yorkers have some of the highest taxes in the nation, how much more can these politicians rape my wallet and my bank account?

Archived