•  

• You are viewing the forums as a guest. Register to gain access to all of our features.

Photo
    - - - - -
    News

Transit Workers Up in Lights at Times Square

• Please log in to reply
    23 replies to this topic

#1 +Young+

+Young+
    • 2,153 posts
    • LocationQueens, New York

Posted 16 October 2016 - 04:24 PM

news story.JPG
    TWU Local 100 members bring millions of New Yorkers and visitors
    in and out of Times Square -- the Crossroads of the World -- in a

fast-paced, 24/7 rhythm that moves with our buses and trains.

If all those people didn’t know who really moves New York

underground on subways and above ground on buses, they’ll be

reminded of it on a giant Times Square jumbotron right across

from a subway entrance.

That's because TWU Local 100 has purchased time on the big

screen at 1500 Broadway (at 43rd Street) to show New Yorkers who their City’s real movers and shakers are.

Read more: Source

Edited by +Young+, 16 October 2016 - 04:25 PM.

R.I.P. Transit Transit News Magazine, 1994 - 2014

(https://youtu.be/-sF89sIqzVQ)

w-tt5.gif

#2 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,319 posts
    • LocationRiverdale, NY & New York, NY

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:11 PM

I wonder what Samuelsson has to say about abysmal bus service? I'm sorry but getting people from point A to point B should not be enough. A new contract that rewards worse and worse service and passengers paying more for less. He should be talking with the (MTA) about what could be done to improve these things otherwise this is all smoke and mirrors for the average passenger. Perfect example... Took a local M101 bus today. There was a change in drivers and the new B/O changed the signage to become a limited stop bus without making any announcement. A passenger rang for a local stop but could not get off because he was told that the bus was making limited stops though he had no idea the bus was limited since he got on before the change in the signage. Perfect example of things that need to change... Better communication and accountability.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 16 October 2016 - 07:19 PM.

BxM2-WESTMIDTOWN_zps03c172c1.gif

NICOLE MALLIOTAKIS FOR MAYOR 2017 - MAKE NYC GREAT AGAIN

#3 FLX9304

FLX9304
    • Pip
    • 295 posts
    • LocationPhiladelphia, Pa

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:39 PM

I believe you are asking the wrong guy about this situation. That should be addressed to the CS, not TWU local 100. That you mention comes from the OH supervisor that any M101 south of 125th St & Lexington Ave is limited. that's number one.

Number two is that you have lots of construction going on in Manhattan up and down from new tall buildings going up to the 2nd Avenue (96-63) finishing it's last touch ups before it opens next month. The Lexington Ave bus lines are slowed up from 44-41 in order for cement trucks bound for 1 Vanderbilt Ave to pass through. The same is said for the M31/57 at 57th St between 6th & 8th Aves. Unless you was aware about the crane dangling at 157 W 57th during Superstorm Sandy, then you know why.

"Do We Look Humbled To You?" Dean Ambrose of the Shield on April 14th, 2014 Monday Night Raw to Triple H & the Evolution.

#4 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,319 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 10:38 AM

I believe you are asking the wrong guy about this situation. That should be addressed to the CS, not TWU local 100. That you mention comes from the OH supervisor that any M101 south of 125th St & Lexington Ave is limited. that's number one.

Number two is that you have lots of construction going on in Manhattan up and down from new tall buildings going up to the 2nd Avenue (96-63) finishing it's last touch ups before it opens next month. The Lexington Ave bus lines are slowed up from 44-41 in order for cement trucks bound for 1 Vanderbilt Ave to pass through. The same is said for the M31/57 at 57th St between 6th & 8th Aves. Unless you was aware about the crane dangling at 157 W 57th during Superstorm Sandy, then you know why.

Well he must represent some workers that are B/Os.  I mean bus service is abysmal across the board.  Additionally, construction is always going on in NYC (I know first hand having worked in the industry for a few years on the insurance side of things), though I'll agree that lines like the M50 have taken a serious hit from the ongoing crane operations, particularly on weekends.  Regarding the M101, at that particular time, the bus originally was not running limited.  It was a local bus when I got on (limited stop service starts later on the weekends as opposed to during the week IIRC) but then became limited after the driver change, but the B/O made no announcement of such a change.

#5 FLX9304

FLX9304
    • Pip
    • 295 posts
    • LocationPhiladelphia, Pa

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:50 PM

Well he must represent some workers that are B/Os.  I mean bus service is abysmal across the board.  Additionally, construction is always going on in NYC (I know first hand having worked in the industry for a few years on the insurance side of things), though I'll agree that lines like the M50 have taken a serious hit from the ongoing crane operations, particularly on weekends.  Regarding the M101, at that particular time, the bus originally was not running limited.  It was a local bus when I got on (limited stop service starts later on the weekends as opposed to during the week IIRC) but then became limited after the driver change, but the B/O made no announcement of such a change.

Sometimes they change on the fly because of traffic, weather conditions and the schedule. (The same reason why SEPTA's transit division went on strike from November 1st-7th, 2016 [lasted 6 days] ) I was talking to a Q44SBS driver during a recent visit to NYC and he told me that breaks at terminals on the busiest routes are at a premium. They only get less time to chillax when they get to the other point than what they do on the other side. Then they have to leave right away

"Do We Look Humbled To You?" Dean Ambrose of the Shield on April 14th, 2014 Monday Night Raw to Triple H & the Evolution.

#6 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,319 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 02:55 PM

Sometimes they change on the fly because of traffic, weather conditions and the schedule. (The same reason why SEPTA's transit division went on strike from November 1st-7th, 2016 [lasted 6 days] ) I was talking to a Q44SBS driver during a recent visit to NYC and he told me that breaks at terminals on the busiest routes are at a premium. They only get less time to chillax when they get to the other point than what they do on the other side. Then they have to leave right away

Run times can be tight on some lines... I'll admit that.  However, some B/Os purposely leave the terminal late to avoid running hot, but then they never get back on schedule and remain late the entire day, which of course eats into their break time.  The good B/Os know how to run and stay on time.  If you're leaving the terminal 10 - 15 minutes late to avoid running hot, there is something wrong with the schedule or the driver is clueless about adhering to it.

#7 MassTransitHonchkrow

MassTransitHonchkrow
    • PipPip
    • 599 posts
    • LocationEast New York

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:43 PM

Well he must represent some workers that are B/Os.  I mean bus service is abysmal across the board. 

Agreed. I feel that a bump in pay or benefits should amount to a bump in standards and safety that everyone can benefit from. Further, B/Os have often lent themselves to unruly passengers by letting them board without paying and then attempting to curtail them when they cause trouble later.

I feel that buses should be apportioned based on how prevalent fare evasion is. I wouldn't support pull outs, but reducing bus service where it isn't profitable so we don't punish the whole network for neighborhood-specific failures.

Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow [Transit Enthusiast of Southern NY State]

View my contributions to Google Maps. I get around a lot cheaper when a MetroCard isn't involved.

Hop on board my Twitter feed @MassTransitKrow and weigh in on my discussions.

or View both Transit photography, Windows 10 customizations and other submissions on my DeviantArt page.

#8 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,319 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 12:46 PM

Agreed. I feel that a bump in pay or benefits should amount to a bump in standards and safety that everyone can benefit from. Further, B/Os have often lent themselves to unruly passengers by letting them board without paying and then attempting to curtail them when they cause trouble later.

I feel that buses should be apportioned based on how prevalent fare evasion is. I wouldn't support pull outs, but reducing bus service where it isn't profitable so we don't punish the whole network for neighborhood-specific failures.

That's why fare enforcement is important.  You can get a better idea of how much service is truly needed.

#9 MassTransitHonchkrow

MassTransitHonchkrow
    • PipPip
    • 599 posts
    • LocationEast New York

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:01 PM

That's why fare enforcement is important.  You can get a better idea of how much service is truly needed.

That's where it's lacking. Enforcement not only ensures that, but it gives bus operators the confidence that someone can intervene on their behalf, although it costs an operator less to have a backbone than to withhold it.

Times are tough. People who ride transit are poor. But I don't think it justifies the poor attitudes I've seen.

It largely comes from Middle schoolers who forget their cards only allow 4 Rides per day and they start to rattle the B/Os cage.

Eric Shields | #MassTransitHonchkrow [Transit Enthusiast of Southern NY State]

View my contributions to Google Maps. I get around a lot cheaper when a MetroCard isn't involved.

Hop on board my Twitter feed @MassTransitKrow and weigh in on my discussions.

or View both Transit photography, Windows 10 customizations and other submissions on my DeviantArt page.

#10 Via Garibaldi 8

Via Garibaldi 8
    • Veteran Member
    • PipPipPipPipPip
    • 28,319 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 02:07 PM

That's where it's lacking. Enforcement not only ensures that, but it gives bus operators the confidence that someone can intervene on their behalf, although it costs an operator less to have a backbone than to withhold it.

Times are tough. People who ride transit are poor. But I don't think it justifies the poor attitudes I've seen.

It largely comes from Middle schoolers who forget their cards only allow 4 Rides per day and they start to rattle the B/Os cage.

Correction... Some of them are poor, as supposedly the poorest folks use the local buses.  Even so, they aren't so poor that they can't afford the fare.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8, 20 December 2016 - 02:08 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: news