Cuomo Steps Into Transit Fray With Ideas for After ‘Summer of Hell’

GojiMet86

How much more should the City be giving then?

Come on, give a number.

25 percent?

50 percent?

75 percent?

200 percent?

Notice Cuomo has not demanded how much more. Because he knows it is all BS.

How much more should the City be giving then?

Come on, give a number.

25 percent?

50 percent?

75 percent?

200 percent?

Notice Cuomo has not demanded how much more. Because he knows it is all BS.

I asked how much is the City currently giving, and this is your response?   <_<

That's besides the point.  Hurricane or not, the (MTA) hired a contractor that didn't do their due diligence to ensure that the new station was built to keep water out.  They knew about the problem too and still didn't fix it properly.  

plus didn't they run into trouble on the construction due to an old burial site or something?

Short term:

fare integration between NYC Transit/city ferry services

fast track implementation of SBS routes in critical areas

reduced station/line closure periods

Long-term:

system-wide signal modernization

fast track order/delivery of new subway cars

fast track construction of major necessary projects like a full length 2nd Avenue line and Queens Blvd bypass

Where's my $1M?

Seriously, this reeks of either ignorance of the issues or just plain incompetence. I get outsourcing your problems to get an outsider's approach for a solution, but it isn't that hard to determine the problems that plague the subway. They're too crowded because there are insufficient train cars available or signal and/or line limitations prevent more trains from running on those services. They're too slow because of aging infrastructure and cars that date back to the Johnson administration.

Taking a look at the most egregious example, the Lexington Ave line, said line is at capacity and has been so for decades following the elimination of the elevated lines way back when without an adequate replacement. We've exhausted all options of running more trains on the existing structure with the ATS system in place across most of the A-Division. Really, the only thing that will alleviate the congestion plaguing that line is a full-length line along 2nd Avenue.

This is just one of the many instances where the solutions should be patently obvious. One should expect Cuomo has advisers, either inside the MTA or outside of the agency, who've already informed him of this and have offered solutions to solve these plaguing issues. But sure, let's give out some money to tell us what we already know. That'll solve the problem. Then again, this is just another impact study under a different name, so why not?

On a slightly off-topic note, shifting control of Penn Station to Port Authority control has to be the stupidest suggestion I've heard from Cuomo. With the ballooned cost of the new World Trade Center station and the forever-delayed replacement of the Port Auth. Bus Terminal still nowhere near finalized, I wouldn't want the PA to manage a Burger King, much one of the busiest stations in the country. Also, private control of the Penn Station headhouse will do absolutely nothing for the main issue at hand, which is and has been, the tracks in and around the station. That's where the focus should be.

Would it be smarter for LIRR and NJT to reunite (a la Penn Central) and run through-trains to reduce delays and possibly infrastructure wear and tear?

-You keep yelling that's it Cuomo that runs the (MTA) as if it's him alone that funds it and does everything else. You know what you're trying to say and now you're trying to back step.

-And the State has given billions as well. What's your point? That doesn't excuse the fact that the State and the City over the years haven't been giving what they should've been giving. What part of that don't you get? You keep yelling about Cuomo like he's going to have this magical wand to just say here, here's ALL of the money needed for the (MTA). If you believe that, then sure, it's all Cuomo's fault. It's liberals like you that have a hard time seeing the facts because you clearly can't get enough of the Kool-aid that de Blasio has been stirring up.

-Also, the City is giving their fair share based on what? Past contributions? Please. Given all of the re-zoning that the City has been doing and giving sweetheart deals to developers with no transportation infrastructure in place to support all of this building, they should be ponying up MUCH more than what they currently are. It's the City that is exacerbating the problem, not Cuomo.

Sounds to me like you're advocating one of two things: either the city reassumed direct control of the NYCTA from (MTA) or disbursement of power to run (MTA) from Albany.

Either way provides better direct accountability to the population NYCTA serves.

LACMTA is an appointed board - the CA governor and LA Mayor appoints some, and the LA County Supervisors and rotating mayor's of cities in the county serve on the board, and they have the power to tax to fund operations and construction.

Maybe what's needed here is Borough presidents on the board and taxation powers to fix both the funding crunches and giving both Billy Dee and Andy the ability to cut ribbons while being arms length during bad episodes?

Sounds to me like you're advocating one of two things: either the city reassumed direct control of the NYCTA from (MTA) or disbursement of power to run (MTA) from Albany.

Either way provides better direct accountability to the population NYCTA serves.

LACMTA is an appointed board - the CA governor and LA Mayor appoints some, and the LA County Supervisors and rotating mayor's of cities in the county serve on the board, and they have the power to tax to fund operations and construction.

Maybe what's needed here is Borough presidents on the board and taxation powers to fix both the funding crunches and giving both Billy Dee and Andy the ability to cut ribbons while being arms length during bad episodes?

The City has been complaining for years about this issue, so yeah why not let them take over the reigns?  I don't think they would do much better. Just look at our streets.  They're some of the worst in the country, though they've improved slightly since de Blasio has taken oven, but they're still horrendous when you look at how much money is thrown at repaving projects. Perfect example... 42nd street was just repaved a few years ago, and just the other day I saw huge sink holes in several areas of the street between 5th and 6th Avenue.  

He also understands that taxing New Yorkers to death isn't the answer the either (something that I don't think de Blasio understands), so there has to be a balance. 

If it wasn't for Cuomo, we'd have a 5 cent bag fee in NYC right now. This was a fee which Nanny de Blasio wanted which would act like a tax to the consumer but was actually going to benefit the retailers (and not even the city, what a buffoon.)

What Cuomo should do however is to find more of a balance between making the subways and buses look pretty and actually having a functional and productive transit system. What's the point of a dressed up subway station or a bus with new paint if I have to wait half an hour for a bus or train in the middle of the day?

If it wasn't for Cuomo, we'd have a 5 cent bag fee in NYC right now. This was a fee which Nanny de Blasio wanted which would act like a tax to the consumer but was actually going to benefit the retailers (and not even the city, what a buffoon.)

What Cuomo should do however is to find more of a balance between making the subways and buses look pretty and actually having a functional and productive transit system. What's the point of a dressed up subway station or a bus with new paint if I have to wait half an hour for a bus or train in the middle of the day?

I agree with you 100%, so we both understand what each other is saying, but at the same time, things like USB ports should be pretty standard in 2017.  If the City ran the show, those nickel and dime tactics would increase significantly, and Goji wouldn't be so quick to back de Blasio the way he is now.

The City contribution has never been the real issue. Cuomo has had all this time to do something great with the MTA, and instead, it's literally....meh. The City was not an excuse for Cuomo when "fixing" the MTA 3 years ago. Not 4, not 5, not 6, and not when he started. And now he goes "It's all DiBlasio's fault!"

Talk about DiBlasio (who has his faults) all you want, but Cuomo has been Governor, and ultimately responsible, for the MTA, for SIX years, from Bloomberg to DiBlasio, and the best he can make the MTA do is install USB ports and Wi-Fi on buses? And now competitions to have someone else to fix the MTA?

Like, does anyone rememeber that OTHER competition he had to also fix the MTA, back in 2014? Nope? That's because nothing useful came out of it.

What will USB ports do for us, if catching the bus is going to be a crap experience? He should have been focusing on what plagues the bus networks.

But nope, there he is on the front of the newspapers, in front of new shiny buses that were going to be delivered anyway.

The City contribution has never been the real issue. Cuomo has had all this time to do something great with the MTA, and instead, it's literally....meh. The City was not an excuse for Cuomo when "fixing" the MTA 3 years ago. Not 4, not 5, not 6, and not when he started. And now he goes "It's all DiBlasio's fault!"

Talk about DiBlasio (who has his faults) all you want, but Cuomo has been Governor, and ultimately responsible, for the MTA, for SIX years, from Bloomberg to DiBlasio, and the best he can make the MTA do is install USB ports and Wi-Fi on buses? And now competitions to have someone else to fix the MTA?

Like, does anyone rememeber that OTHER competition he had to also fix the MTA, back in 2014? Nope? That's because nothing useful came out of it.

What will USB ports do for us, if catching the bus is going to be a crap experience? He should have been focusing on what plagues the bus networks.

But nope, there he is on the front of the newspapers, in front of new shiny buses that were going to be delivered anyway.

Oh give it a rest.  USB ports are not blowing a hole in the budget and should be on buses in 2017.  Aside from that we NEED new fleet anyway, so as far as new buses go and USB ports go, I don't see the big deal.  You're talking about two separate things.  De Blasio controls the DOT, NOT Cuomo, and therefore de Blasio should be working with the DOT to improve traffic.

“I like to tell people, the mayor controls what goes on above ground and the governor controls what goes on below,” Moss continued. “And when it comes to bridges, they have their separate empires.”

Source: http://www.amny.com/transit/mayor-bill-de-blasio-has-no-control-over-the-mta-1.13015404

Would it be smarter for LIRR and NJT to reunite (a la Penn Central) and run through-trains to reduce delays and possibly infrastructure wear and tear?

And send the trains to where? Its still gonna see the same amount of traffic. All that would really do is shift the problem from Penn to another location. Its why I personally dont like the "Rethink NYC" idea. First thing to do is fix the existing infrastructure. Then expand on it I.e. new tunnels across the river. Its not the fact that Penn is a terminal that's the issue, its the bottlenecking at each end and the aging equipment.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

Oh give it a rest.  USB ports are not blowing a hole in the budget and should be on buses in 2017.  Aside from that we NEED new fleet anyway, so as far as new buses go and USB ports go, I don't see the big deal.  You're talking about two separate things.  De Blasio controls the DOT, NOT Cuomo, and therefore de Blasio should be working with the DOT to improve traffic.

Source: http://www.amny.com/transit/mayor-bill-de-blasio-has-no-control-over-the-mta-1.13015404

^^^^^^

Y'all see this response? I didn't even bring up DOT...

^^^^^^

Y'all see this response? I didn't even bring up DOT...

Well what is plaguing the bus networks? Congestion! Who is in control of traffic? The DOT! Who has control over the DOT? The mayor!  <_<

Well what is plaguing the bus networks? Congestion! Who is in control of traffic? The DOT! Who has control over the DOT? The mayor!  <_<

Oh, I think it's a little more than congestion that is affecting the buses...

And what, you're going to ignore the rest of my post?

Oh, I think it's a little more than congestion that is affecting the buses...

And what, you're going to ignore the rest of my post?

Really? Well what else is affecting buses? You also forgot about all of the new trains that will be coming online.  The best way for Cuomo to aid in fixing the (MTA) is funding, period.  Ultimately it's the (MTA) that is responsible for the day-to-day operations.  Quite frankly there are some people that need to go.  Kevin Ortiz for starters and that other guy that is retiring... Michael Horodniceanu.  There needs to be a culture shift in the (MTA) in order for any real changes to happen, and that takes time.  Despite your claims, Cuomo doesn't have complete control over the (MTA). He can appoint a select number of people on the board and hire others but full control... Not.

Really? Well what else is affecting buses? You also forgot about all of the new trains that will be coming online. The best way for Cuomo to aid in fixing the (MTA) is funding, period. Ultimately it's the (MTA) that is responsible for the day-to-day operations. Quite frankly there are some people that need to go. Kevin Ortiz for starters and that other guy that is retiring... Michael Horodniceanu. There needs to be a culture shift in the (MTA) in order for any real changes to happen, and that takes time. Despite your claims, Cuomo doesn't have complete control over the (MTA). He can appoint a select number of people on the board and hire others but full control... Not.

He sure does act like it when a new subway line opens or a new bus starts running. Or starting a station renovation project. He may not "run" the MTA, but it is a state agency and he does appoint the most seats. If he told them jump, they'd ask how high. When there's something ton praise, he's in front of the cameras. When shit hits the fan, he can't be found. At the end of the day, him, and deblasio, are both politicians. Ya'll can defend them both all you want. At the end of the day, it all cones down to Albany funding and approving projects to be done.

I mean, the Tappan Zee and Kosciusko bridges are getting built awfully fast.....*cough* SAS, ESA *cough*

He sure does act like it when a new subway line opens or a new bus starts running. Or starting a station renovation project. He may not "run" the MTA, but it is a state agency and he does appoint the most seats. If he told them jump, they'd ask how high. When there's something ton praise, he's in front of the cameras. When shit hits the fan, he can't be found. At the end of the day, him, and deblasio, are both politicians. Ya'll can defend them both all you want. At the end of the day, it all cones down to Albany funding and approving projects to be done.

I mean, the Tappan Zee and Kosciusko bridges are getting built awfully fast.....*cough* SAS, ESA *cough*

You're comparing bridges to subways? Apples to oranges.  I will say that at least you get it.  He appoints the most seats. He doesn't have full control to do everything he wants, and that's my point. Not defending him.  Just stating some corrections to Goji's comments.

...When there's something to praise, he's in front of the cameras. When shit hits the fan, he can't be found. At the end of the day, him, and deblasio, are both politicians.

Preach.

You won't catch me putting any real stock or waste much of any time talking about these jokers ....

At the end of the day, they only care about 2 things - their self interests & their wallets....

I don't trust a politician as far as I can freakin throw one.

You're comparing bridges to subways? Apples to oranges. I will say that at least you get it. He appoints the most seats. He doesn't have full control to do everything he wants, and that's my point. Not defending him. Just stating some corrections to Goji's comments.

I get it cause I pay attention to the whole picture. Yes, I'm going to compare apples to oranges. And I'm going to throw in some pears and cherries. Here's why: as I also mentioned, he may not be the "official" head of the agency and only appoint the most seats, but his "orders" hold weight. "Get SAS phase 1 open on new years. Done. Build a new tappenzee. Done. A new Kosciusko. Done. A new LaGuardia. Done. AirTrainLGA (and going to be done wrong BTW). On it! Fix some stations and pretty them up. On it. WiFi and USB on buses, already a happened and more on order but go ahead and take the credit Mr Cuomo. Jump. How high? See the pattern? Now its Order more rail cars. That was already in action. He's making it his job to take credit for everything. And overall, he DOES have the power. It may not be "written down officially" but he says it, they do it. So where's "get the new signal system installed asap"? "Get phase 2 SAS started"? "hurry up and finish ESA"? All of these projects are among multiple agencies (LGA and air train being PA, a bi-state agency) but who's looking like he's putting his foot down and getting it done? Thats the point thats trying to be made. It honestly goes beyond the MTA in what Cuomo does. But the MTA is where he has the most pull based on the fact both are based in Albany.

The point is, you honestly CAN put it on Cuomo. His track record of being there to reap the praises show that if he says get it done, it basically gets done in his eyes. and those eyes what to be looked at as "look how I get shit done" come 2020 for the white house. This is why we are coming down on him with our system falling apart. he does indeed have the power. I'd rather a leader that tries and fails than one who only shows up for praise when others cross the finish line

I get it cause I pay attention to the whole picture. Yes, I'm going to compare apples to oranges. And I'm going to throw in some pears and cherries. Here's why: as I also mentioned, he may not be the "official" head of the agency and only appoint the most seats, but his "orders" hold weight. "Get SAS phase 1 open on new years. Done. Build a new tappenzee. Done. A new Kosciusko. Done. A new LaGuardia. Done. AirTrainLGA (and going to be done wrong BTW). On it! Fix some stations and pretty them up. On it. WiFi and USB on buses, already a happened and more on order but go ahead and take the credit Mr Cuomo. Jump. How high? See the pattern? Now its Order more rail cars. That was already in action. He's making it his job to take credit for everything. And overall, he DOES have the power. It may not be "written down officially" but he says it, they do it. So where's "get the new signal system installed asap"? "Get phase 2 SAS started"? "hurry up and finish ESA"? All of these projects are among multiple agencies (LGA and air train being PA, a bi-state agency) but who's looking like he's putting his foot down and getting it done? Thats the point thats trying to be made. It honestly goes beyond the MTA in what Cuomo does. But the MTA is where he has the most pull based on the fact both are based in Albany.

The point is, you honestly CAN put it on Cuomo. His track record of being there to reap the praises show that if he says get it done, it basically gets done in his eyes. and those eyes what to be looked at as "look how I get shit done" come 2020 for the white house. This is why we are coming down on him with our system falling apart. he does indeed have the power. I'd rather a leader that tries and fails than one who only shows up for praise when others cross the finish line

Here's the thing though. He doesn't have an endless budget.  All of the things that you've pointed out, some of them have been accelerated, and that comes with a cost.  It sure as hell wasn't free.  At the end of the day the issue is money.  Plain and simple.  You've left out numerous other projects that are currently ongoing that I see when I'm out and about, such as the funding for the new Major Deegan Expressway, which is another long, expensive project that has been ongoing now for the last few years.  I mean quite frankly there's only so much that can be done at once and what we're seeing here is everything coming to a head at the same time, and now this guy is the scapegoat. I don't agree with it.  We talk about how Cuomo is in front of the cameras and how he's responsible, but the mayor isn't, well then when new subway projects come on line, de Blasio shouldn't be able to receive credit since he says Cuomo is in control of the subways.

I think Cuomo has done the most by NYC than any other governor in quite some time and a lot is being overlooked because the subways are a mess. Listening to his interview this morning, I sympathized with him because we have so many infrastructure projects that need to be done aside from the subway, and I just don't see where you get the money to fix all of this at the same time.  Then there's the Penn Station mess.  You tell me.  Where does the money come from to fix up the subway AND do all of these other projects?  Then there's other projects for the rest of NY, which has a dwindling tax base.  Do you raise taxes on an already over taxed state?  What's the answer? Quite frankly I still go back to the (MTA) and this need to spend billions of dollars on a few stations.  Even if it's partially funded with federal monies, I think you set a precedent that shouldn't be; we should not be spending so much money per station given how much needs to be done with the entire system, and that's something that everyone seems to want to overlook.

Cuomo has a high approval, which means he's doing something right:

The poll released Monday finds 60 percent of respondents view Cuomo favorably, compared to 34 percent who have an unfavorable opinion. That’s Cuomo’s highest rating since January 2015 and it’s up four percentage points since last month.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/02/27/cuomo-approval-rating/

Here's the thing though. He doesn't have an endless budget. All of the things that you've pointed out, some of them have been accelerated, and that comes with a cost. It sure as hell wasn't free. At the end of the day the issue is money. Plain and simple. You've left out numerous other projects that are currently ongoing that I see when I'm out and about, such as the funding for the new Major Deegan Expressway, which is another long, expensive project that has been ongoing now for the last few years. I mean quite frankly there's only so much that can be done at once and what we're seeing here is everything coming to a head at the same time, and now this guy is the scapegoat. I don't agree with it. We talk about how Cuomo is in front of the cameras and how he's responsible, but the mayor isn't, well then when new subway projects come on line, de Blasio shouldn't be able to receive credit since he says Cuomo is in control of the subways.

I think Cuomo has done the most by NYC than any other governor in quite some time and a lot is being overlooked because the subways are a mess. Listening to his interview this morning, I sympathized with him because we have so many infrastructure projects that need to be done aside from the subway, and I just don't see where you get the money to fix all of this at the same time. Then there's the Penn Station mess. You tell me. Where does the money come from to fix up the subway AND do all of these other projects? Then there's other projects for the rest of NY, which has a dwindling tax base. Do you raise taxes on an already over taxed state? What's the answer? Quite frankly I still go back to the (MTA) and this need to spend billions of dollars on a few stations. Even if it's partially funded with federal monies, I think you set a precedent that shouldn't be; we should not be spending so much money per station given how much needs to be done with the entire system, and that's something that everyone seems to want to overlook.

Overall its politics as usual. Deblasio needs to Step up and stop getting punkd by Cuomo left and right. he does need to push for the needs of NYC more, especially with our subways. But at the end of the day the subway is run by the MTA and the MTA is state. Now who runs the state. Yeas, we need to find where the Money will cone from. thats always been the issue. It doesn't grow from nowhere. So why isn't Cuomo stating that these stations are costing too much taxpayer money? Does he? No, he cuts the ribbon to open them and calls it a win for him.

Its not what Cuomo (and deblasio) are or aren't getting done. Its how they are going about it. I dont feel sorry for either one. They are letting us pay for their battling in the long run. Cuomo is only "looking out for NYC" to stick it to deblasio. Do we really need state police patrolling the city? They dont know the city. In my 39 years I've never seen state police in NYC until recent.

Some may see Cuomo "doing a lot for NYC" but the question is is he doing it correctly? THATS what bit comes down to. Stations on SAS ate too expensive. I didnt hear either politician Complain. Aietrain LGA goes the wrong way. Does Cuomo care? No, as long as it gets done he can pat himself on the back.

Penn station. Who owns it and runs it? A national agency. All Cuomo can do is ask congress to take action. Yeah, there's a lot of things on his plate so to speak. Some of it isn't suppose to be all on his shoulders. And what the public sees is him only around to take praise and credit. Deblasio is bad in his own way. He's not sticking up for us as he should. if something for the city isn't getting done by the state like its suppose to be, then where's his pressure on Cuomo. Where's the asking for planning and reviews and back up on certain projects?

I get what you're saying VG8. I truly do. but at the end of the day, the governor runs the state. And even if funding isn't there, the call for getting the wheels in motion Or something should be. Its shows the public your looking out for their needs. Especially during times that aren't great like our subway system.

He should be there when times are bad and not just for ribbon cutting. THATS the issue most have with him.

And it doesn't mean deblasio is off the hook. He's just smart enough to let the gov take the heat since he want to take the praise. One must take both. Not just one or the other.

Here's the thing though. He doesn't have an endless budget.  All of the things that you've pointed out, some of them have been accelerated, and that comes with a cost.  It sure as hell wasn't free.  At the end of the day the issue is money.  Plain and simple.  You've left out numerous other projects that are currently ongoing that I see when I'm out and about, such as the funding for the new Major Deegan Expressway, which is another long, expensive project that has been ongoing now for the last few years.  I mean quite frankly there's only so much that can be done at once and what we're seeing here is everything coming to a head at the same time, and now this guy is the scapegoat. I don't agree with it.  We talk about how Cuomo is in front of the cameras and how he's responsible, but the mayor isn't, well then when new subway projects come on line, de Blasio shouldn't be able to receive credit since he says Cuomo is in control of the subways.

I think Cuomo has done the most by NYC than any other governor in quite some time and a lot is being overlooked because the subways are a mess. Listening to his interview this morning, I sympathized with him because we have so many infrastructure projects that need to be done aside from the subway, and I just don't see where you get the money to fix all of this at the same time.  Then there's the Penn Station mess.  You tell me.  Where does the money come from to fix up the subway AND do all of these other projects?  Then there's other projects for the rest of NY, which has a dwindling tax base.  Do you raise taxes on an already over taxed state?  What's the answer? Quite frankly I still go back to the (MTA) and this need to spend billions of dollars on a few stations.  Even if it's partially funded with federal monies, I think you set a precedent that shouldn't be; we should not be spending so much money per station given how much needs to be done with the entire system, and that's something that everyone seems to want to overlook.

Cuomo is not saying anything about how the MTA is mismanaged. You see him trying to encourage the MTA to cut the fat?

Cuomo has a high approval, which means he's doing something right:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/02/27/cuomo-approval-rating/

And Trump's approval rating is at an all-time low. Guess he's doing something wrong...

Archived