Metrocard Turnstile Light meanings

mark1447

Hi, I always wanted to know what each light on a Turnstile at a Subway Station means, the Rectangular ones, when you swipe your Metrocard. For example it turns red and white. But what does each color stand for? I know it indicates the Metrocard being swiped tho. Just curious on its meaning~

Thanks!

Ok thanks guys. I still em confused in the Green one, sd i already know Red is disabled/Senior and White is student.

BTW does the beeping nose on the turnstiles play a role with the sliding of the Metrocard? Cuz sometimes i head one long beep and other times 2/3 beeps.

Ok thanks guys. I still em confused in the Green one, sd i already know Red is disabled/Senior and White is student.

BTW does the beeping nose on the turnstiles play a role with the sliding of the Metrocard? Cuz sometimes i head one long beep and other times 2/3 beeps.

There is a longer beep for unlimited cards and a slightly shorter beep for regular metro cards. When the card isnt read properly is when you will here a series of short beeps.

There is a longer beep for unlimited cards and a slightly shorter beep for regular metro cards. When the card isnt read properly is when you will here a series of short beeps.

Regular metrocars for Students/Disables/Seniors/Workers?

Regular metrocars for Students/Disables/Seniors/Workers?

not sure, I never used those ones. I just remeber the unlimited cards have a longer beep and the regular pay per ride cards have a shorter beep when the fare is paid.

Green is for Police. My cousin sometimes uses his MetroCard to let me on the subway. By the way, Blue looks nice for a MetroCard. They should really switch the student and police colors.

Interesting thread, you guys. I never knew any of this.

On the subject of police metrocards though, here's a quick question:

Do NYPD normally have the keys to get into the C/R booths on trains? I remember riding the E back to Forest once at like 2am, and right before pulling into the station, a cop just kind of came out, then locked the door behind her. Was def NYPD and not MTA police. The car was a R32. (this was... probably January of this year or so.)

Officers assigned to transit have keys.

They do get keys but I don't think anyone tells them what they go to. One time I was on a downtown (E) and I was in the lead car when I noticed the the door to the C/R position was opened. When 2 NYPD TD officer got on the train I motioned for them to come over and I told them the door was open and it should not be. I had to explaine to the officers that this was the lead car and the door should be locked. It took the officer some time to find the right key for the door. I think he even tried using the Vapor key (goes into all the square lock on the NTTs). I think that all TD officers are asigned a standard door key and a Vapor key, but I have seen some officers with other transit keys.

They do get keys but I don't think anyone tells them what they go to. One time I was on a downtown (E) and I was in the lead car when I noticed the the door to the C/R position was opened. When 2 NYPD TD officer got on the train I motioned for them to come over and I told them the door was open and it should not be. I had to explaine to the officers that this was the lead car and the door should be locked. It took the officer some time to find the right key for the door. I think he even tried using the Vapor key (goes into all the square lock on the NTTs). I think that all TD officers are asigned a standard door key and a Vapor key, but I have seen some officers with other transit keys.

Can't they tell by the look/size of the key??? Those officers aren't that smart after all.......

Archived