Shhh! Mayor Bloomberg quietly authorizes $69 million in bonuses for managers

CPBO

Shhh! Mayor Bloomberg quietly authorizes $69 million in bonuses for managers over two years

BY Frank Lombardi

DAILY NEWS CITY HALL BUREAU

Saturday, July 11th 2009, 4:00 AM

Handschuh/News

Mayor Michael Bloomberg authorized authorized big raises Friday for 6,692 of his managers and nonunion employees.

After crying poverty for months, Mayor Bloomberg authorized fat raises Friday for 6,692 of his managers and nonunion employees, worth $69 million over two years.

The raises, which will cover virtually all his City Hall staffers, but not himself, will match those given to District Council 37, the city's largest municipal union.

There will be a 4% raise retroactive to March 3 of last year, and a compounded 4% raise - or 4.16% - retroactive to March 3 of this year.

Those getting the raises will get lump-sum retroactive checks covering 16 months.

The seven deputy mayors will get raises ranging from $16,978 to $18,541, with the salary of First Deputy Commissioner Patricia Harris rising to $245,760.

Top commissioners will get a $23,247 raise, bringing their salaries to $189,700.

The raises only affect workers in mayoral agencies, not the Department of Education.

They also do not apply to the mayor and other elected officials, whose salaries are set by city law.

The mayor's official salary is $225,000, but the billionaire accepts only $1.

The raise was announced in a written statement by Bloomberg Press Secretary Stu Loeser, on a Friday afternoon, a time frequently reserved for news meant to slip under the radar.

Bloomberg has been warning of layoffs and other drastic action for months, citing plunging tax revenues and a shriveled up economy.

The budget is balanced through next June, with more than $2 billion in a health fund that could be tapped in a crisis. Multibillion-dollar gaps loom for the following years.

Loeser's statement stressed that the salaries of some unionized civil servants are higher than those of their supervisors, discouraging desire for career advancement.

A unionized police deputy chief - one-star - makes $180,749, while a managerial assistant chief - two-star - makes $166,106, Loeser said.

In the Fire Department, such salary differentials have left 20% of managerial staff chief positions unfilled.

flombardi@nydailynews.com

Here are some examples of what the compounded 4% raises are worth to city managers:

First Deputy Mayor Patricia Harris: current salary $227,219; raise $18,541; new salary $245,760.

Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly: current salary $189,700; raise $23,247; new salary $212,947.

Press secretary Stu Loeser: current salary $185,000; raise $15,096; new salary $200,096.

Commissioner of Immigration Affairs Guillermo Linares: current salary $177,698; raise $14,500; new salary $192,198.

Water Board Executive Director Steven Lawitts: current salary $186,340; raise $15,205; new salary $201,545.

Taxi Commissioner Matthew Daus: current salary $177,698; raise $14,500; new salary $192,198.

Talk about the fleecing of NYC.....the rich get richer and the average joe gets it with no grease......Like these people need raises???!!!!

bloomberg is a fraud he has been crying how the city economy is in ruins and how this city needs him for a 3rd term for his financial expertise when in truth he is addicted to the power of being the mayor the czar of the city if he could afford to give those kinds of bonuses out that telle me the city is in pretty finicial shape and he does not need a 3rd term its time for someone new and lets all vote against bloomberg and his attempt to buy and bribe a third term

Lovely. More pompous fat cat rich d*****bags scheming to get more money than they already have. I hope they string all these greedy bastards together over the atlantic ocean someday and put a big anvil in the middle and watch them all sink. It is THEIR fault the US economy is in the s***er because of THEIR policies that they inacted and because of ROBBING the common man blind so the common man can't afford to go to a store and keep their s***ty businesses afloat because the COMMON man is paying RENT with the little that the rich corporate/politician a**holes left them with.

After they all sink, take all their money and burn it. We don't need it. Taking all that wealth and destroying it will just get rid of the effects of inflation and make the rest of us rich in the end anyway.

As a city worker I am out raged! I can't even get some basket balls or a folding table for my playground because the Parks Dept. has no money. To bad this tool will become the dictator of NYC when he buys his 3rd term.

As a city worker I am out raged! I can't even get some basket balls or a folding table for my playground because the Parks Dept. has no money. To bad this tool will become the dictator of NYC when he buys his 3rd term.

If he decides to run for a 3rd term (I hope not).....I will not vote for him and I hope the rest of the New Yorkers don't either!

If he decides to run for a 3rd term (I hope not).....I will not vote for him and I hope the rest of the New Yorkers don't either!

I really have lowered on Bloomberg myself. Overall in his '2' terms as Mayor imo he has done a good job and i voted for him in 2005. However even Rudy respected the city laws and bowed out right after 9/11.

My guess sad to say is imo Bloomberg will win reelection but with a large number of New Yorkers voting for his likely oppopent City Tresury William Thompson in a 'protest' vote.

Thompson looks like Obama(like him Thompson is biracial)but i dont think he not even in same league with our current President as a speaker and smarts to run and win a hard campaign.

Bloomberg is about to become the NYC version of long time Chicago boss Richard J Daley of the 1960/70's. Daley elected to Mayor, 5x times and led the city for US Record (for large city)25 years, became out of touch affecting people in the windy city until he died in 1976.

Actually the best campaing to run against Bloomberg would basically be one calling him out for being a two faced prick who lies about wanting a strong middle class. Hell, you've all seen his ads...a "financial hotline" for the middle class? What a waste of money. Don't let that fool you, just another gimmick for rich pricks. If I sound pissed about this sort of thing it's because I am sick of getting ripped off out of $20 here and there so some million/billionaire can have $20 MORE when he already has enough and all of you should be too. EVERYONE of you that is old enough to vote should vote this clown out of office when he runs. Anyone running against him should play up the "anti greedy rich guy" attitude present in the country and show Bloomberg for his true colors in a campaign which is just another crony-ist politician who cares about "retaining his people" by offering them ridiculous raises when the average American is getting laid off! And for what - making bad decisions! Say what he is and let the public decide because these idiot wanna be rich folks will vote for Bloomberg unless they see that he is out for people who make more money than them, and NOT them (they tend to identify with richer people because they want to be them). Show that he is for the FEW the RICH and not the MANY the WORKERS and hopefully that will be enough to send him home. I'd love to see Bloomberg try and get by without the workers he is squeezing out of the city. The ones who operate his subway cars (yeah, he's so down to earth, that mayor, riding the subway with his private guard), his, oh yeah, drivers, the people that make his food, who clean his house, who deliver his mail. I'd love to see him get by without them. Because investment bankers and suits don't make your meals. They're actually pretty useless once you get down to it. Drop everyone clueless in an island somewhere and the banker is one of the most useless people around. And yet Bloomberg is all about them so fight back and send him home.

/end rant.

god bless subway guy for exposing bloomberg for what he really is a rich upper east side democrat thats a cheat and a fraud please vote against bloomberg in november dont let him buy another election

He's not the only one :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOuQK_l5A50http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkEA6vutEAkhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMTZfEPLNR0http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VysRWCGjcshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjABb_DhUmUhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz9dsuBKGLwhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXEBfMoQ5zIhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywOwzWLrg8c

As an employee of the City of New York, I am happy. Since my union is DC37, I'm getting a raise. Should help me with the higher cost of living.

He will buy a 3rd term as your mayor.......

Drew for Mayor? :cool:

Drew gets my vote for Mayor:tup: lol

That ticking time bomb for mayor? You all are crazy. Can I be Deputy mayor????

As an employee of the City of New York, I am happy. Since my union is DC37, I'm getting a raise. Should help me with the higher cost of living.

Your union is an aircraft????? With Bloomy still there, you better make $100,000 to stay living in the city.........

That ticking time bomb for mayor? You all are crazy. Can I be Deputy mayor????

LOL thanks for the "vote of confidence" :confused:

Nah you can't be deputy mayor I need you and Jah to run (MTA) and Zman involved in some way too as comic relief but first we have to figure out how to bribe...I mean convince...Patterson to nominate the three of you.

Also we have to figure out how to tax the crap out of anyone that makes more than $500,000 a year and works in finance/business and cut the pay of all the back office/advisors/consultants/HR that aren't needed and tell them what I'd love to tell many of the people I deal with in my accounting job: if they dont like it GET A REAL JOB! "big raises to retain white collar people" are BS!

the only problem with that is, what if all the rich people go move to NJ or Connecticut or somewhere outside of the city, whos gunna pay the taxes to support all the govt programs, including the MTA.

Thats a very good point. If I made 500K a year, and would pay significantly less taxes in CT, I would move. Thats why they didn't raise some tax (i forgot which) on the rich. They would all leave and like or not, the city needs rich people.

Archived