R Train

bklynmasterp

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on these forums, and I must say there is an amazing amount of info here, and the site is great overall!

I had a question regarding the R train. Is it really as bad as everyone makes it out to be?... I'm looking to move into the Bay Ridge area and hear service is horrible (R for Rarely)... I've only taken the R a few times, and it has been average as compared to the other subway lines. Could someone please give me some insight? (morning commute, Weekend nights, etc..)

Regards,

bklynmasterp

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on these forums, and I must say there is an amazing amount of info here, and the site is great overall!

I had a question regarding the R train. Is it really as bad as everyone makes it out to be?... I'm looking to move into the Bay Ridge area and hear service is horrible (R for Rarely)... I've only taken the R a few times, and it has been average as compared to the other subway lines. Could someone please give me some insight? (morning commute, Weekend nights, etc..)

Regards,

bklynmasterp

Hello and welcome.

The (R) train is not that bad at all. I use it everyday. The (R) is mainly used to get out of the local stops and onto the express stop trains, (N) at 59 St, (D) 36 St. Unless your traveling to downtown Brooklyn then you could be in for a long ride.

R for rarely, I don't think so. I couldn't disagree more. The (R) trains are always there. Night time service that's different I rarely use the (R) at nights. Maybe that's where the R for rarely comes from.

Hello Everyone,

Regards,

bklynmasterp

I don't know about the Bay Ridge end of the R, but for me the R train is Ridiculous up here at the Forest Hills end. At least 3-4 E/F Express trains pass by before the R train comes up on a typical weekend. And weekdays I don't know since every time i ride the subway on the weekday the V train comes and never the R, since the V is much more frequent and efficient than the R.

The R, in my opinion, is a good line. However, I feel it can use some help between Downtown Manhattan, and DeKalb Av. Extra Lower Manhattan to Downtown Brooklyn Service is a must. It also deserves to see some daylight :D besides the 1 second of light it sees south of 59 St / 4 Av.

Put it This way my friends..

Down here in the B Div we dont call it the "Slowmeo" for nothing...

The R keeps in 10 to 12 minute headways and during the weekdays.

Usually during the week there is always a Wiskey in front of it in Manhattan or during the Rush Hours a Mikey in front of it in Brooklyn..

The reason you see at least 2 to 3 Echo's Error is beacuse the Echo's keeps its 6 minute headways during the week..

The R line in Brooklyn was a good line, I took it everyday for 4 years to get to school. It seemed that only last years was when it was not too good, when there were more M trains at 9th street then R train between 7:30 and 8:00. Before then it was very good, it got on at 7:14 everyday, and the train was the same for 4 months (R32) with the same T/O.

Usually during the week there is always a Wiskey in front of it in Manhattan or during the Rush Hours a Mikey in front of it in Brooklyn

Yes I noticed that a lot. There's usually a Manhattan bound (W) in the mornings between 7 and 8 when I ride to work. The (M) Brooklyn bound can be annoying sometimes when waiting for an (R).

Archived