IND Day Fever 7/29/09

R44 5278

Today had some rough and decent times. I started the day in the BMT Canal St station where I took an R42 Z train with actual smooth brakes to Broadway-Nassau for the start of my railfanning. Then I waited half an hour for an R32 A train to Brooklyn only to find that I was on the wrong side of the platform. After fifteen minutes, I gave up and took a smooth R44 to Broadway Jct. I then ran to the Manhattan bound platform only to get lucky with an R32 A train. The Fulton stretch was incredibly slow and someone already occupied the railfanwindow. We even made a sudden stop when a crewman suddenly jumped onto the tracks and the motorwoman stomped the brakes and horn. I got the spot at eventually at Jay St, but didn't start taping until the Cranberry St Tunnels. I met a friendly motorman traveling uptown that worked for 21 years on the A and surprisingly favored the R44s. He told me that the NTTs have motor problems at the Rockaways b/c they need 550 to 600v of power, while the SMEEs only needed the given 500 to 550v of power. Afterwards, I stood around at 103rd to tape some express trains, but a stomache problem and tennis game stopped it early. The rest of the day was pretty usual, but I didn't get to ride the R40M one last time b/c the V was out of service.

Here are my photos:

p7280001z.jpg

p7280010f.jpg

p7280011.jpg

p7280014.jpg

p7290018c.jpg

p7290021.jpg

p7290023.jpg

p7290024.jpg

p7290025.jpg

*Still trying to improve

Here are my top 3 videos:

Thanks for the support everyone!

Nice, gee, I didn't know you were fanning yesterday. I went railfanning with Nick in Joisey in that godforsaken weather.

I thought you were working on translating the datasheet to French yesterday. When I heard that the PATH was suspended between JSQ and Newark yesterday, I was actually thinking on hoping a free train from Hoboken to Newark Penn Station just to get some dark pics on the drawbridges and Meadowlands.

Thanks for the support everyone!

I thought you were working on translating the datasheet to French yesterday. When I heard that the PATH was suspended between JSQ and Newark yesterday, I was actually thinking on hoping a free train from Hoboken to Newark Penn Station just to get some dark pics on the drawbridges and Meadowlands.

I had a lot of technical difficulties yesterday and I decided to try my luck with the PA5s. We did manage to get a ride on the Newark line around 3 something

Archived