Secret report: Ground Zero Freedom Tower construction lags, slated for 2018 finish

Harry

A secret report predicts the Freedom Tower - billed as America's defiant answer to terrorism - won't be finished until 17 years after the 9/11 attacks.

A 2018 opening for the iconic, 1,776-foot building would come more than four years after the opening date the Port Authority trumpeted just 10 months ago, the government report found.

The July 14 "confidential draft...risk analysis" by the Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center (LMCCC) found that every blockbuster project at Ground Zero has fallen years behind time lines the PA unveiled in October.

The report says the grandiose transportation hub may not be ready until 2018, while the Sept. 11 Memorial, the site's emotional centerpiece, could be two years behind its 2011 deadline.

Full story: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2009/08/04/2009-08-04_touted_ground_zero_construction_projects_years_off_schedule__report_behind_the_t.html#ixzz0NErTs6Q7

post-1-133288580685_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288580685_thumb.jpg

It's getting real pathetic. I don't even like the Freedom Tower design but I would like to see some sort of development going on down there. It's just like the Second Avenue Saga: 100 years after it was proposed it STILL isn't anywhere near completion, at least for Phase 1. Sad. :cry:

I really cannot comprehend why they didn't start rebuilding after the clean up. Why can't they just rebuild the twin towers like the used to be, but with 21st century technology incorporated into the structural design? *sigh* It's a shame that by the 10th anniversary of 9/11, nothing would be done.

It's getting real pathetic. I don't even like the Freedom Tower design but I would like to see some sort of development going on down there. It's just like the Second Avenue Saga: 100 years after it was proposed it STILL isn't anywhere near completion, at least for Phase 1. Sad. :cry:

Actually it was proposed in 1929 so that's only 80 years ago.

Blame it on local politics and turf wars. Blame Larry Silverstein.

SAS was first proposed under the Turner Plan (1919), but was revised and presented in 1927. This would become the Second System.

Well, lets hope this is the last extention, I would really want to see NYC keep moving forward, :).

And hope the SAS does too, since it is about time for the (MTA), PANYNJ and Construction to continue at full speed.

I hope so too, but there are many factors that account to delays. Unfortunately there are too many of them.

I wouldn't equate the WTC site with the Second Avenue Subway. The former is a nationally-recognized space whose development means a lot to not only the city, but the entire country if not the world. Something's going to get built there eventually due to its significance as a location related with the fight against international terrorism.

The Second Avenue Subway has been delayed for far longer than the WTC site, and it does not carry the same national and international significance that the WTC site does. I would expect the WTC site to be developed and finished far before the SAS is in a similar state.

I wouldn't equate the WTC site with the Second Avenue Subway. The former is a nationally-recognized space whose development means a lot to not only the city, but the entire country if not the world. Something's going to get built there eventually due to its significance as a location related with the fight against international terrorism.

The Second Avenue Subway has been delayed for far longer than the WTC site, and it does not carry the same national and international significance that the WTC site does. I would expect the WTC site to be developed and finished far before the SAS is in a similar state.

Agreed, comparing the Freedom Tower with the SAS is like comparing apples to oranges. Even the priority and the usage are different.

Workers at the site would like to have Fulton Street extended so that equipment could travel closer to the worksite. Fulton Street abuts both the Tower and the memorial.

Archived