Charles (Gus) Augusto opens shop day after fatally shooting two robbers

Harry

A shotgun-wielding owner of a Harlem restaurant-supply company blasted two robbers to death and wounded two others on Thursday when he caught them pistol-whipping his employee, police said.

Turning the tables on the brutish bandits, 72-year-old Charles (Gus) Augusto opened fire with a 12-gauge shotgun he kept handy for such occasions, cops and witnesses said.

"He's been robbed before, so I'm not totally amazed," said Stefany Blyn, who rents a space above the store from Augusto.

"They ran into some tough stuff today," witness Vernon McKenzie, 48, said of the stickup men, including one whose bloody corpse was splayed on the sidewalk in front of Augusto's store on W. 125th St. near Amsterdam Ave.

The robbers stormed into the business, Kaplan Brothers Blue Flame, just after 3 p.m. demanding cash.

"He did a large cash business," a police source said. "They were probably watching the place and made a move after a sell."

Neighbors said Augusto, who was not charged last night, had sold a stove earlier in the day.

The stickup crew - three 21-year-olds and a 29-year-old - came prepared with a pistol and plastic handcuffs. They tried to tie up two of Augusto's employees - a 35-year-old man and his 47-year-old female co-worker, said Deputy Police Commissioner Paul Browne.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2009/08/13/2009-08-13_harlem_biz_owner.html#ixzz0OBTSO0WU

post-1-13328858072_thumb.jpg

post-1-13328858072_thumb.jpg

Yeah, like Messino, I have no sympathy for the thieves either. Glad to see the owner is back at work. I hope his employees are unhurt.

I also hope NYPD steps up security in Harlem/Upper Manhattan to prevent or deter similar crimes.

Saw this on the news yesterday.

I'm glad this happened. This proves that thieves should think twice before robbing somebody and I don't shed any tears at all. They deserved to die and that's two less people we have to pay probation money to. Those two lucky S.O.Bs should have died too.

Further proof guns aren't bad; it's the person behind the trigger that's either good or bad. The Second Amendment at work!

Exactly. Guns are good to have around. How are people supposed to defend themselves if they get mugged?

I also think it's b.s. that people need to register a gun by going through the government and stuff. If you have the cash and no criminal record and no sign of mental retardation (this includes the desire to kill), then we should have the rights to own a gun. I would always carry around something small like a glock and not some high powered rifle or anything that would probably knock out the rest of the street, but I would definitively carry one with me whenever I'm traveling if it's ever allowed.

Think about it. I'm sure there are some of you that think that the streets would be a lot more dangerous with guns, but it actually won't. If a couple of teenage kids can get a glock, then that means anybody could if they had the right people. All I'm saying is that there should be stricter punishments for using a gun inappropriately, but never restricting the possession of a gun for a regular law-abiding citizen.

I'm sure that you guys would think twice about this issue if someone mugged you and you could have shot him dead on the spot when he turns around and runs.

Archived