Pre-Trip Inspection

4 Train

I was wondering if T/Os or C/Rs perform a "pre-trip inspection" before every trip. If so what do they look for, and how is it performed?

Here let me help you out with that..

Charge the train make sure it charges, check the sealbeams(headlights),check snow block check front and side signs in your cab make sure they are correct.

The go in cab check horn,wipers, circut breakers(make sure none are tripped) some car classes have low voltage circut breakers only in one cab,(R32,R38,R40,R42,R62A,R62) only you have to go in the other cab to check the high voltage ones.

Then you Do a PA Check and Intercome check(if cab has one).

Then you do a standing brake test release brake pipe all the way down to 20 lbs it should go down smooth and quick.

Then you do your B2 Brake test by releasing from 80 lbs to 20 lbs in 3 movements of the brake handle(80, 60, 40 , 20)

After you get your lights you tell your partner you have the line-up when they ask ..

THEN you take one point of power , knock it off let the train roll a few feet, feel for a pullback, this is your "sensititve rolling test"

Then you do your "dynamic brake test" you go to 15 Mph knock it off and grab a brake you feel it retard then you go to full power and you are off..

This is Rule book procedure on leaving every terminal...

When you start down here and a TSS rides with you(sometimes you see them sometimes you dont) they wil make SURE you do everything that i just talked about here, remember you are on probation, rule book city when it comes to your operation beacuse they will be watching you..

It seems like a lot but after a while of constantly doing this it wont even seem like anything at all , just another day in the office...

Charge the train make sure it charges, check the sealbeams(headlights),check snow block check front and side signs in your cab make sure they are correct.

The go in cab check horn,wipers, circut breakers(make sure none are tripped) some car classes have low voltage circut breakers only in one cab,(R32,R38,R40,R42,R62A,R62) only you have to go in the other cab to check the high voltage ones.

Then you do a standing brake test release brake pipe all the way down to 20 lbs it should go down smooth and quick.

Then you do your B2 Brake test by releasing from 80 lbs to 20 lbs in 3 movements of the brake handle(80, 60, 40 , 20)

After you get your lights you tell your partner you have the line-up when they ask ..

THEN you take one point of power , knock it off let the train roll a few feet, feel for a pullback, this is your "sensititve rolling test"

Then you do your "dynamic brake test" you go to 15 Mph knock it off and grab a brake you feel it retard then you go to full power and you are off..

When you start down here and a TSS rides with you(sometimes you see them sometimes you dont) they wil make SURE you do everything that i just talked about here, remember you are on probation, rule book city when it comes to your operation beacuse they will be watching you..

It seems like a lot but after a while of constantly doing this it wont even seem like anything at all , just another day in the office...

Wow thats a lot. Thanx for the info.

The dynamic brake test sounds like its done before passengers board the train. Is that a safe assumption?

*By the way great signature you have there RTOMan.*

Thanks a lot!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

It can be done with passengers on the train do it myself 4 and a half days a week..

Why i say that?

I have two Put -ins (one on tuesday one on friday) on the Bravo so my train is empty..

All the other times got people on my train..

Just like pre-tripping a bus.

Archived