Things you miss about the "old" LI Bus?

JohnQPine

Well to be honest I haven't missed much, except for one thing. It seems the buses aren't allowed to "make time" like they used to. Case in point, the left turn signal on southbound Glen Cove road onto eastbound Old Country Rd by Roosevelt Field. This always gets backed up, and the buses used to go around the cars by turning from the lane going straight, but now they dont do that much anymore. I had the pleasure of sitting at this light on the N27 for nearly 10 minutes as we had to wait 3 cycles.

We would've saved 10 minutes if we'd gone around the cars! As a result I missed the N35 and had to take a jam packed N22 to Westbury instead. I hope with the new schedule change they'll increase service on the N22, since alot of ppl in New Cassel take the bus and it gets jammed.

I really think when its backed up the buses should go around the cars, I really miss when this was done. Sometimes because of that light it's quicker to get off the bus by Jay Ct. or Westbury Ave and walk to Westbury!

I guess I have to complain to Nassau County, that light should have at least one minute long green arrow instead of the 20-30 seconds it usually gives.

I miss the Cummins L10G powered Orion V CNGs. That was my favorite aspect in LI Bus was to ride and listen to that wonderful engine. Also, the fast driving B/Os on both the DD and Cummins buses. I remeber a while back this lady B/O who was driving on the N4 and floored it around this curve so fast wheres the bus was leaning on one side and almost flipped over! Also the fleet was 100% Orion V CNG, I liked the 1700s when they first came in service but now I don't really like them. The seats suck and there not as loud as the cummins buses were.

I miss the Cummins L10G powered Orion V CNGs. That was my favorite aspect in LI Bus was to ride and listen to that wonderful engine. Also, the fast driving B/Os on both the DD and Cummins buses. I remeber a while back this lady B/O who was driving on the N4 and floored it around this curve so fast wheres the bus was leaning on one side and almost flipped over! Also the fleet was 100% Orion V CNG, I liked the 1700s when they first came in service but now I don't really like them. The seats suck and there not as loud as the cummins buses were.

There's still a few fast drivers out there, like this one lady I see on the N51. She always usually has the Cummins L10G Orion V CNG's. There's still a good amount left. I like the Orion 7NG's but there's one thing I dont like is that its very hard to open the windows, which sucks when the driver shuts the HVAC off. I miss the sliding windows on the older 05's.

But you're right about the drivers, there arent as many fast ones as they used to be. Suffolk Transit still has alot of fast drivers though, enjoy it while you can before the (MTA) gets them too!

• 2 weeks later...

yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh OKAY so let's get a few things straight

they made me change runs....bad

they're more inspections......bad

you cant drive fast cuz they check the GPS (i still do)....Good (well the fast part)

They're really big on the whole push-pull steering thing.......um.....i drive the wheel flat....i'm not changing that

My CUmmins are slowly deteriorating.....and the only people who get them are the ones who either have really bad luck and get crappy ones or are in wit the dispatchers......bad....but good that i still get them......and the ones i get.....they're FASTT they still got their crap....

i'm lovin 1568 lately....

JOHN Q.PINE....if im ever on the 27 i promise i'll make yo connections lol i dont play no games.......all of my buses move i dont get slow ones and if i do ....weell you'll find out.....

oh yeah and i still keep unintentionally breaking the NGs.....oops....i dont have luck with those......nor do i like them very much

Oh and BTW if anyone finds me good pics of re-numbered buses 287,285(on a run OTHER THAN THE 19), 234 (renumbered or not) they get a FREE RIDE on mah route lol

• 3 weeks later...

I've only rode on LIB once since the changeover. And it was on an Orion VII NG CNG on the N24. And I couldn't stand it. I refuse to ride those things again. I'll take ANYTHING over that garbage.

I miss the MSBA days the most. Differentiation was a norm. You had Fishbowls, RTSs, Grumanns and Gilligs. You never know what you were going to see. Now-all you see are Orions. It's just a matter if you're going to get an Orion VII NG CNG or an Orion V CNG. It's not the same.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived