Railfan ranking system

NYtransit

To the OP...

Everyone here aren't Railfanners... everyone here aren't busfanners... everyone here aren't photographers....

What about those of us that are:

- railfannners & photographers...

- busfannners & photographers...

- railfanners & busfanners....

- railfannners, busfanners, & photographers...

- just photographers (don't like, or care much for physically riding buses/trains),

- just busfanners....

- none of the above... the employees, the members that are here to learn w/e it it that they are seeking to know, the members that "just wanna talk transit" for crying out loud !! lol...

That said, I cannot agree to putting people in categories as the way you have here... it's illogical & quite unfair.

Agreed, it was even worse a few months ago with these endless 'games' threads. There's far too many 'random thoughts threads' there and it's starting to spread here as well. There's not too many 'factual based posts'. Everything is this and that without any thoughts because 'it sounds good'. And I don't mean minor wishing, I mean full blown foaming.

Yeah, but you won't find a forum that's anywhere close to 100% factual... or, to the level of "factualness" (lol) that I think you might want....

I mean if we know 1+1=2... and 2*2=4... and 4 radical 4 to the cube root = 2, then what would be the point of joining (and remaining on) a forum? Opinionating on facts (and other opinions) are what keep any forum as "alive" as it may be....

you know how you have some computer files that are "read only"... well, if people can't post something (b/c it's not "factual"), then people will feel left out... and/or flat out bored with just lurking, with any forum of the sort....

only when you remove the file property of being read only, is when one can edit that file...

hope my analogies weren't confusing.

...but although the games on RD did get out of hand, but guess what... it kept the forum active... now, it's not so active there....

here, you get (more of) the best of both worlds: facts that the MTA employees on here may share w/ us, and the knowledge of others that aren't.... and those that simply "reply" to whatever....

To the OP...

Everyone here aren't Railfanners... everyone here aren't busfanners... everyone here aren't photographers....

What about those of us that are:

- railfannners & photographers...

- busfannners & photographers...

- railfanners & busfanners....

- railfannners, busfanners, & photographers...

- just photographers (don't like, or care much for physically riding buses/trains),

- just busfanners....

- none of the above... the employees, the members that are here to learn w/e it it that they are seeking to know, the members that "just wanna talk transit" for crying out loud !! lol...

That said, I cannot agree to putting people in categories as the way you have here... it's illogical & quite unfair.

Great post. I think I prefer to call myself a "transit enthusiast" rather than a "railfan", and I know a couple others that do as well.

Yeah, but you won't find a forum that's anywhere close to 100% factual... or, to the level of "factualness" (lol) that I think you might want....

I mean if we know 1+1=2... and 2*2=4... and 4 radical 4 to the cube root = 2, then what would be the point of joining (and remaining on) a forum? Opinionating on facts (and other opinions) are what keep any forum as "alive" as it may be....

you know how you have some computer files that are "read only"... well, if people can't post something (b/c it's not "factual"), then people will feel left out... and/or flat out bored with just lurking, with any forum of the sort....

only when you remove the file property of being read only, is when one can edit that file...

hope my analogies weren't confusing.

...but although the games on RD did get out of hand, but guess what... it kept the forum active... now, it's not so active there....

here, you get (more of) the best of both worlds: facts that the MTA employees on here may share w/ us, and the knowledge of others that aren't.... and those that simply "reply" to whatever....

:clicks imaginary thanks button:

Great post. I think I prefer to call myself a "transit enthusiast" rather than a "railfan", and I know a couple others that do as well.

That's true...

hell, as dumb as this may come off, before I started posting on transit-based forums, I always thought the term "railfan" was something negative... b/c I would read posts where one person would rag on another for railfanning... this was when I was only a lurker of straphangers around '04/early '05...

Me, I favor riding buses over trains... but it doesn't mean I have a hatred for trains outright.... the photography end of the hobby, well, I need a kick-start there... what I mean is, I'd like to start taking pics of buses, trains (preferably outdoor/open cut), and even just the scenery of some areas... I don't know what to look for in a camera (besides, the megapixels)... and all the other little things that make you guys the photography guru's that you all are when y'all take these photos....

:clicks imaginary thanks button:

I don't know if that was meant to be an insult, or something snide.... but in my reply to your post there, I wasn't trying to an as...

I wasn't trying to be difficult, lemme phrase it that way... my fault if I may have came off as such.

...and, hah, I just realized that the thanks button only shows in the initial post of a thread... Maybe that's what you are referring to?

It's sad what happened to Straphangers. I'm no longer a full time member there (I only post pics there). I miss the glory days of 2002-2004. I felt like (for the most part) I was accepted there. My opinion meant something. It wasn't like Subchat or even (on its worst days) NYCTF. All because a few trolls decided to play games Straphangers went from the #1 transit website to a freaking joke.

It's sad what happened to Straphangers. I'm no longer a full time member there (I only post pics there). I miss the glory days of 2002-2004. I felt like (for the most part) I was accepted there. My opinion meant something. It wasn't like Subchat or even (on its worst days) NYCTF. All because a few trolls decided to play games Straphangers went from the #1 transit website to a freaking joke.

I'm working on improving the Rider Diaries. It's one of my many side projects. I hope, though, to see more input from members such as yourself.

Yeah, Straphangers really went down. I've been a member there 4 years now, I used to use that site all the time, and it has shown a steady decline.

Archived